PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated in NJ

H2Doc
10-17-2003, 12:14 AM
I just bought a 2003 H2 Pewter Lux in New Jersey and wish to have an SMA Stage I performance kit installed (Volant cool air intake & SMA exhaust system). Despite being listed as SMA dealers, the Hummer dealers in NJ that I called refuse to install performance upgrades and claim that my warranty will be voided if I tamper with the stock engine configuration. What's the deal? Can anyone recommend an experienced Hummer mechanic in Central NJ to make the installation?

H2Doc
10-17-2003, 12:14 AM
I just bought a 2003 H2 Pewter Lux in New Jersey and wish to have an SMA Stage I performance kit installed (Volant cool air intake & SMA exhaust system). Despite being listed as SMA dealers, the Hummer dealers in NJ that I called refuse to install performance upgrades and claim that my warranty will be voided if I tamper with the stock engine configuration. What's the deal? Can anyone recommend an experienced Hummer mechanic in Central NJ to make the installation?

Circuitguy
10-17-2003, 12:46 AM
Thats BS! I can't give you much help in NJ but if you want to come on down to CA I can get you taken care of. At the least you may have to find a dealer out of NJ. Best, http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif BIG-C

White 03-H2-LUX

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.gstyle4u.com">
http://www.elcova.com/h2/gstyle.jpg</a>

KenP
10-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Hall Hummer in VA Beach installs SMA products.
If your dealer sells and intalls them, doesn't it make sense they would warrant them?
Check with SMA and be sure to inquire about their dealer agreement with regard to warranty claims and installation. Be specific.
Besides, you are not messing with the engine config. Those products should have no bearing on the warranty. There is no way a different filter, tube, pipe, muffler, clamp, etc should have any bearing at all on your warranty.
BTW, any muffler shop should be able to install the exhaust and probably the intake. But the intake appears easy as steak.
I would be hesitant to purchase from them after this. They already have enough of your money.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

NJ H2
10-17-2003, 05:31 AM
From what I understand you wouldn't void your whole warranty. Your dealer can try to void your warranty specifically if they can prove that your aftermarket MOD caused the failure to an OEM part. I'm not 100% sure on this but this is what my research shows so far.

BullGlock23
10-17-2003, 10:29 AM
I had Midas Muffler install my SMA pipes and Volant air. $90 for install...can't beat that.

From what I have been told, SMA is a GM authorized product, and will not void warranty.

'03 Pewter Lux, Brush Guards, SMA Sport Exhaust, Volant Air Intake, Black Billet Gas Door, Vizualogic DVD W/ Headrest Monitors, Front Tint,3rd Row, Remote Start

H2TECH
10-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Bring it down to Eckenhoff Hummer in Cherry Hill (South Jersey). We will install it if you like. Like PhilD said it will void your warranty if you ingest water so just keep your old air box for when/if you go off-road. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Centerfire
10-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I have dealt with aftermarket parts onmy Gm products for years.. By law they can not void your warranty for aftermarket performance parts unless they can prove the part was at fault. They must give it to you in writing. If they do you simply go back the the manufacture of the aftermarket part.. If a quality company they will go to bat for you. I had a local GM dealer tell me that my engine failed because of tghe K& N filter system.. After the mfg ( K&N) finished there conversation with the GM factory. My new engine was installed at no charge with a round of appoligies from everyone at the dealership from the lot girl to the GM.. So do not let them stop you from having your toys..

Mike

Klaus
10-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Here's a link to the GM TSB on Aftermarket Air Induction Systems:

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=2866075362

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

Centerfire
10-19-2003, 08:28 PM
Yep you are correct. They have to prove that the product could have caused the damage and an open air filter when you go thru water will do it.. Of course you could always put the stock air box back on before you have it towed in

Mike

Klaus
10-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Changing the air box back to stock after the fact *might* work, but I doubt it.

If you were one of the first owners to ask for a new engine because of water ingestion on a stock truck, I'd think GM would want to send down a team of engineers to see what failed. I suspect they could find evidence of the switch out.

Lawyers are expensive...

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

jambo
10-26-2003, 02:40 AM
I am with Hummer of Marietta--- We do alot of custom h2s 90-95% , Any how SMA has alot of aftermarket parts some authorized by gm some are not. We have a 03 adv series with a complete breathless kit outside and inside and under the hood. has the SMA air raid intake on it runs about 20 degrees cooler and gets 17 more horsepower.sounds very crisp as well...
anyway all our aftermarket is covered by the full factory warranty.(even ent. systems )..
I did find out a new fact the other day some of you may already know but here it goes--if you have size 18 or bigger tires on your h2 you have no warranty..

KenP
10-26-2003, 12:14 PM
I just picked up 18" rims from the dealer. Are you telling me they will not honor my warranty now (not that they would anyway http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)? No one mentioned anything like that to me.

The dealer here is selling them NEW on NEW trucks right off the showroom floor with warranty intact. Something is wrong with this.

BTW, I assume you mean 18" "rims", the stock "tires" are just under 35" tall.

Black Lingenfelter Lux

H2 Daddy
10-26-2003, 11:47 PM
jambo

Isn't the top of Airaid intake open? If so, doesn't this mean the intake is sucking in hot engine air. I would think using the stock air box with an Airaid replacement filter and maybe a new smoother tube that runs fron the filter to the throttle body would work better.

Crash and Klaus
What are your opinions about using the stock box with new filter and tube?

PARAGON
10-27-2003, 12:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Daddy:
jambo

I would think using the stock air box with an Airaid replacement filter and maybe a new smoother tube that runs fron the filter to the throttle body would work better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the setup I have gone with. No worries about water ingestion voiding a warranty. I have the Airaid filter in the stock box, the Airaid Modular Intake Tube from the box to the intake and the coolant bypass. I have also added the Granetelli mass air flow sensor and the Predator Programmer.

I actually added these in stages (exception to adding the filter and the intake tube together) and I can't say which individual piece netted out the most gain in MPG's but overall I had a gain of almost 3 MPG. That's over about 4 months of driving. The seat of the pants HP and torque is easily noticeable, but most noticeably by using the programmer. This increase is also applied better because you can control the shift points and firmness.