PDA

View Full Version : High Lift jack mounting for standard brushguard

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-04-2004, 04:09 AM
If anyone would like to know I'll write it up.

vern

04 Yel H2, Eaton lockers, SMA HD brush guard, XD9000i, Garmin StreetPilot 3

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-04-2004, 04:09 AM
If anyone would like to know I'll write it up.

vern

04 Yel H2, Eaton lockers, SMA HD brush guard, XD9000i, Garmin StreetPilot 3

RIC-H0
03-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Please do!
I can't fit mine in the Back!

Ric-H2

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Notice the boxes below inside vertical 1 inch bars or light mountings. They are hollow from the bottom and made of 3/16" metal alloy steel. The boxes are on the standard brush guard also. Go to your friendly auto parts and Home Depot stores to purchas the parts listed below.

Hardware:
1) 2 ea 1/2 inch bolts, 5 inches long
2) 4 ea 1/2 inch large washers
3) 4 ea 1/2 inch nuts
4) 2 ea 1/2 inch lock washers
5) 2 ea 1/2 inch wing nuts
6) 1 ea 1/8 inch spring clip
7) 1 small combination lock

Auto Parts:
1) Rubber block.
Highland makes pickup stake bed Anchor point mountings. These mountings are made of 2 inch rubber blocks and have an "eye" bolt going through it. They fit into the stake pocket of a pickup. When you turn the eye bolt the rubber expands and wedges itself into the pocket. I know I'm going into too much detail but some people have no idea what we are talking about.

Build it-
I put a nut on the 1/2 inch bolt and put it into a vice. I cut the bolt head off the bolt, hack saw and cleaned up the threads with a flat file. Then backed off the nut over the cut end to finish cleaning up the threads. Now both ends of the bolt will except a nut.You need 3 3/4 inch of continuous threads. Now from the good end of the bolt count back 3 threads, take a round chain saw file and make a good flat spot on the bolt taking out the third thread on it's surface. Using a center punch, hit the flat spot in center of bolt. Drill a 1/8 inch hole through the bolt. This will allow a small combination lock to fit through the hole. Do the same thing to the second bolt. Home Depot has the combination locks. Drill a 1/2 inch hole into one of the grill guard boxes, front of box. Take 2 inch rubber block and put into vice. Drill a larger hole through it to accept the 1/2 inch bolt. Take just one end of the full block of rubber and drill a hole large enough to accept the 1/2 inch nut,only about 3/8 inch deep. What this will do is allow the nut, lock washer and washer to be hidden by the rubber. Now cut the block into two one inch blocks.

Install it-
Put cut end into the 1/2 inch hole. From inside the hole, fit washer and one nut onto bolt. Screw nut onto bolt until one thread shows from nut on inside of box. On drilled side of bolt place washer, lock washer and nut onto bolt. Screw down onto mounting box and tighten with wrenches. Place the rubber block onto bolt, the one cut larger to hide bolt and washers. Take High Lift jack and place onto bolt. Hold up jack and mark other hole from jack's mounting holes. Use center punch mark hole and drill other 1/2 inch hole. Follow above instructions to install final bolt. When installing final rubber block washer and wing nut use cressent wrench to squeeze rubber to fit lock and clip to keep wing nut from backing off.

Notes:
You will be surpprised how solid it is.
Lock is only to keep honest men honest.
Buy the red high lift jack. It's stronger and looks good on black brush guard.
Position jack so not to obstruct head lights. I got the 48 inch one.
You should build yourself a high lift jack recovery kit.
After putting wing nuts on first time, you can hand tighten wing nuts without a problem. Sorry I bought SMA Heavy Duty Brush Guard before taking picture of it. Mounting High Lift jack onto new guard, not none yet.

04 Yel H2, F&R Eaton lockers, SMA HD brush guard, XD9000i, Garmin StreetPilot 3

[This message was edited by It's a Dry Heat on 03-04-04 at 06:14 PM.]

RIC-H0
03-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Nice picture of the Jack Off! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ric-H2

PARAGON
03-05-2004, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RIC-H2:
Nice picture of the Jack Off! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ric-H2<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>laugh out loud, good one Ric.

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-05-2004, 03:54 PM
The old guard is at the dealers pile of junk. I took the mountings off of it and will mount to new SMA Heavy duty one. Will take a picture when its done. maybe this weekend. The mounting will look the same just with new guard. Anyway with my detailed description can't you picture it in your mind.

Vern

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi lift on SMA Heavy Duty Brushgrard. I'm going to change the 48" to 60" monday. Got lots of room for the longer one.

I love you guys. Ric-H2
Vern

[This message was edited by It's a Dry Heat on 03-06-04 at 04:30 PM.]

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Got the 60 inch on but one problem. the 60" has a different hole pattern from the 48" I had to move one of the holes over .25". now it fits fine.

Vern

RonB
03-11-2004, 01:14 PM
looks nice. any rattle/noise when bouncing around? I wonder if the winch will fit with the jack in place. A great solution for those who don't want a roof-rack (me).

Fellow Off-Roader
03-11-2004, 02:10 PM
the guys using a highlift - have you heard of the attachment called a Jack Mate?

nice attachment for steadying the jack against or on a rock.

It\'s a Dry Heat
03-14-2004, 06:51 AM
No rattle at all. mounted in 1.0" rubber on both sides. Rubber tighten aganst jack with 1/2" thumb screws. Make it as tight as you want.

Vern

TonkaH2
03-20-2004, 02:19 AM
We're going to try the same thing on the back using the mount from Hi-lift -I'll let you know as soon as I get around to it.