PDA

View Full Version : Another exhaust question (short)

W1N
09-19-2005, 03:55 AM
I'm weighting my options on the exhaust issue. Fist I thought Borla was the way to go, but they stick waaayyy too much out of there. Then I looked into the other different options. Can't really make my mind which way to go now...

Does the dealer installed after market exhaust with off road tips8 pipes provide the same hp and sound increase as the ones with dual stick out pipes? Has anybody seen any others provide similiar duals that Borla offers? And those with "no show" off road tips?

W1N
09-19-2005, 03:55 AM
I'm weighting my options on the exhaust issue. Fist I thought Borla was the way to go, but they stick waaayyy too much out of there. Then I looked into the other different options. Can't really make my mind which way to go now...

Does the dealer installed after market exhaust with off road tips8 pipes provide the same hp and sound increase as the ones with dual stick out pipes? Has anybody seen any others provide similiar duals that Borla offers? And those with "no show" off road tips?

Fubar
09-19-2005, 09:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W1N:

Does the dealer installed after market exhaust with off road tips8 pipes provide the same hp and sound increase as the ones with dual stick out pipes? Has anybody seen any others provide similiar duals that Borla offers? And those with "no show" off road tips? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suspect that you could get an off-road tip for any manufactures exhaust system.

It's just the tip or end of the exhaust it's not going to change any hp gain.

From pershonal experience I konw Corsa has an off-road tip that exits where your stock one does, you could purchase the tip and have any mufferler shop weld it on, it wouldn't matter if you had Borla,Corsa,or any other manufactures cat back system.

4churchill
09-19-2005, 10:13 PM
I have flowmaster series 50 or 40 installed (cant remember) dual tip just to the right of the trailer hitch...looks great sounds great wors great and hasn't broken off yet!!

Big Jag
09-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Re: BORLA EXHAUST - I'm not sure what you mean by stick out, but they do not stick at all IMO. They are recessed in about 3 to 4 inches from the end of the bumper and hang just below the bumper. They look and sound great in my opinion.

ARH1956
09-20-2005, 12:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Jag:
Re: BORLA EXHAUST - I'm not sure what you mean by stick out, but they do not stick at all IMO. They are recessed in about 3 to 4 inches from the end of the bumper and hang just below the bumper. They look and sound great in my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>According to your picture they clearly reduce the rear bumper clearance by 3-4". And I guess the reduction in departure angle would be in excess of 15 degrees. On the plus side they do look good.

VTSTOMPER
09-20-2005, 11:18 AM
I am checking out the magnaflow, and it looks like it does not hang any lower.

W1N
09-21-2005, 05:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
I am checking out the magnaflow, and it looks like it does not hang any lower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As the OEM exhaust is actually behind the bumper, so that the tip is pretty much on the same level as the lowest part of the bumper. My idea was to find a true dual which would do the same. Not to exit under bumper as most do. The best thing would be to find a exhaust tech that would do this on both side (like Borla does). That is, have one pipe on both sides behind the bumper as OEM is and still provde the sound, hp and mpg benefits if there are any...

mattyg50
09-21-2005, 05:02 PM
i installed the magnaflow kit, sounds great and the 2 tips are in the same area as the stock tip

KenP
09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
We just talked about this a couple of days ago. Here's a pic of the B&B exhaust. It's tucked up and away. It's 3.5" with a 4.5" tip.

BTW, shpbldr hit his Borla exhaust on some rocks at Paragon.

KenP
09-21-2005, 06:28 PM
From behind you can't even see it. Just like stock.

W1N
09-21-2005, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
From behind you can't even see it. Just like stock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Ken! How is it?

W1N
09-25-2005, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
From behind you can't even see it. Just like stock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you provide me the product number. All I can find on their website is a true dual directly outputting below the bumper. They have the optional stealth tips that look like off road tips, but if the tail piping arrives fron the mufler horizontaly (that's how it looks in their pircture, differently than in your picture) I really don't see how location of the tip would be the same than the stock.

Thanks!

KenP
09-25-2005, 02:57 PM
The top one is what I have:
http://www.bbexhaust.com/New/auto-flash.asp?page=h2.html

I thought it was 4.5".

shipbldr
09-25-2005, 06:23 PM
FWIW...

I have the borla exhast.

Though they didn't intend it. I can remove my exhaust tips at the muffler exit in 3 minutes or less. Re-install is about 4 minutes.

I wheel with mine on. And with the exception of my first time up Vodoo... they have been fine.

(NEWFLASH>>>> Yes, there has now been a second time up voodoo... very different from the first. Film at 9:00....)

CslRkH2
09-25-2005, 09:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
FWIW...

I have the borla exhast.

Though they didn't intend it. I can remove my exhaust tips at the muffler exit in 3 minutes or less. Re-install is about 4 minutes.

I wheel with mine on. And with the exception of my first time up Vodoo... they have been fine.

(NEWFLASH>>>> Yes, there has now been a second time up voodoo... very different from the first. Film at 9:00....) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you do any mods (lift, etc) before trying voodoo again?

KenP
09-26-2005, 03:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CslRkH2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shipbldr:
FWIW...

I have the borla exhast.

(NEWFLASH>>>> Yes, there has now been a second time up voodoo... very different from the first. Film at 9:00....) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you do any mods (lift, etc) before trying voodoo again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I bet he now has a winch, lift, tires and maybe a supercharger. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

W1N
10-29-2005, 06:21 PM
The top one is what I have:
http://www.bbexhaust.com/New/auto-flash.asp?page=h2.html

I thought it was 4.5". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kinda remember that you said this being loud. Is it so? You didn't happen to have any clips to prove yourself http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif