PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Own "Roof" Tire Mount $40

Mindsender
11-14-2002, 02:59 AM
DISCLAIMER: DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not a mechanical engineer. Manual says you can load the roof to 300lbs, and tire weighs 95lb.
I went to Loew's and bought 3 standard 1.25in square steel tubes (the kind with all the holes along the sides) pre-cut to 36in length.
Use the #8 bolts (the strongest kind they sell in the drawers) to unite the strength of these three in about 4 places along the length. This unit is going "under" the cross members, so that the tire sits on them, and is held in the center by the same threaded eyebolt/centerpiece/bolt that is used on your interior tire mount.
Get a bigger bolt (1/2 in) and drill in the middle through all 3 to receive 1/2in.bolt (make sure you use lock nuts with the washers on all)
Grind out the top of the center tube just enough to be able to place the looped/threaded tire bolt (that comes with the interior mount) down into the middle tube, and then pass the 1/2 in bolt through the 3 "bolt united" tubes, and the eyebolt resting down in the center tube, and fasten lockwasher and nut. The pressure is then distributed evenly through all three tubes.
Move your roof rack all the way back. Drill two holes down through their centers so that bolts will pass through the outer two tubes of the combined 3. (I placed mine centered 17 inches from outer position I wanted tire to be at the edge of the roof as tire is 34inches, because I have the luggage carrier on the other side)
Place this unit UNDERNEATH the crossmembers and bolt on. Place tire upside down (white-wall down, so to speak), and use the supplied metal tire holder and bolt. I deflated my tire to about 20lbs so it would be pulled down against the cross members and into the tire for a little more bite, but I have the airsuspension with the pump built in to replinish. And, of course, mine is yellow, which is also very important. Wave if you see me. I tightened until I had about a 1/8th bow in the 3 tube member, and nothing tends to loosen.
One caveat, on the side of the 3 rod combined unit near the center of the car, the bolt almost touches the paint, so I put a little piece of leather under it just in case there is a big bump up the road. There is more clearance for the other 3.
I've used it for 2 weeks with no problems, but the big thing is I hated having my rear vision blocked AT ALL, and I hate having to swing a tire out of the way every single time I want to open the rear hatch. Mine stays outside, obviously, just to rub one of my neighbors raw, who'd just bought a new Denali right before the H2 came out. Won't speak to me. Was it something I said?
If anyone really wants to do this, reply back and I'll go measure the length/thickness of bolts to save you some trouble (can't remember now).
I've also bought two six foot heavy plastic covered cable with locks to run up through the tire rim, and through the plastic stays for tie down on the roof sliders, just in case, because I'm taking a month long trip up to Vermont, Maine, etc in snow season.
When I get back, I'll take the spare tire off all together. Who needs it around town? Just so you know, it looks good and hardly shows.
Also took the two lights off the big brushguard I had to buy, and mounted them inside the roof rack at the front right behind the orange corner lights. Looks great there, and terrible covering the HUMMER chrome grill. The orange lights shine into the reflectors at night and look great. Not that I care. Paul
Paul

Mindsender
11-14-2002, 02:59 AM
DISCLAIMER: DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not a mechanical engineer. Manual says you can load the roof to 300lbs, and tire weighs 95lb.
I went to Loew's and bought 3 standard 1.25in square steel tubes (the kind with all the holes along the sides) pre-cut to 36in length.
Use the #8 bolts (the strongest kind they sell in the drawers) to unite the strength of these three in about 4 places along the length. This unit is going "under" the cross members, so that the tire sits on them, and is held in the center by the same threaded eyebolt/centerpiece/bolt that is used on your interior tire mount.
Get a bigger bolt (1/2 in) and drill in the middle through all 3 to receive 1/2in.bolt (make sure you use lock nuts with the washers on all)
Grind out the top of the center tube just enough to be able to place the looped/threaded tire bolt (that comes with the interior mount) down into the middle tube, and then pass the 1/2 in bolt through the 3 "bolt united" tubes, and the eyebolt resting down in the center tube, and fasten lockwasher and nut. The pressure is then distributed evenly through all three tubes.
Move your roof rack all the way back. Drill two holes down through their centers so that bolts will pass through the outer two tubes of the combined 3. (I placed mine centered 17 inches from outer position I wanted tire to be at the edge of the roof as tire is 34inches, because I have the luggage carrier on the other side)
Place this unit UNDERNEATH the crossmembers and bolt on. Place tire upside down (white-wall down, so to speak), and use the supplied metal tire holder and bolt. I deflated my tire to about 20lbs so it would be pulled down against the cross members and into the tire for a little more bite, but I have the airsuspension with the pump built in to replinish. And, of course, mine is yellow, which is also very important. Wave if you see me. I tightened until I had about a 1/8th bow in the 3 tube member, and nothing tends to loosen.
One caveat, on the side of the 3 rod combined unit near the center of the car, the bolt almost touches the paint, so I put a little piece of leather under it just in case there is a big bump up the road. There is more clearance for the other 3.
I've used it for 2 weeks with no problems, but the big thing is I hated having my rear vision blocked AT ALL, and I hate having to swing a tire out of the way every single time I want to open the rear hatch. Mine stays outside, obviously, just to rub one of my neighbors raw, who'd just bought a new Denali right before the H2 came out. Won't speak to me. Was it something I said?
If anyone really wants to do this, reply back and I'll go measure the length/thickness of bolts to save you some trouble (can't remember now).
I've also bought two six foot heavy plastic covered cable with locks to run up through the tire rim, and through the plastic stays for tie down on the roof sliders, just in case, because I'm taking a month long trip up to Vermont, Maine, etc in snow season.
When I get back, I'll take the spare tire off all together. Who needs it around town? Just so you know, it looks good and hardly shows.
Also took the two lights off the big brushguard I had to buy, and mounted them inside the roof rack at the front right behind the orange corner lights. Looks great there, and terrible covering the HUMMER chrome grill. The orange lights shine into the reflectors at night and look great. Not that I care. Paul
Paul

DRTYFN
11-14-2002, 05:07 PM
Dear God you're long winded.

Dan
11-14-2002, 05:17 PM
If you could get a pic of that for us that would be great!

- Dan

h2fan
11-14-2002, 05:27 PM
drtyfn that was to funny lmao /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HummerGirl
11-14-2002, 06:28 PM
Drtyfn....you are too much... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif what will you do next????

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.

http://www.CelestialBath.com