PDA

View Full Version : Nav override

epmorgan
08-02-2005, 09:52 PM
I am new to this forum, if this subject has already been discussed please direct me to the right place.

I have an 05 SUV and I'm looking for a possible override code for the nav unit. My wife has an MDX and the nav unit works all the time. I realize the dangers of driving and useing the nav, but it would be nice if my passenger could use it.

I have done some research, and found some good info on a cadillac forum. Apparently, there is a code that could be used on the 03-04 units that overode the motion detection. By holding down the note button, you get a screen that allows you to enter a code (1791) I think. I have tried this on my 05 and I get a screen pop up, but no way to enter a code.

I have heard that the wiring can be spliced and install a toggle switch to bypass the motion detection, but that seems extreme if there is another way.

I have had a CD and DVD player added and the installer has it set up to use a built in switch to allow the sound from the DVD to play through the truck speakers. By pressing the search button up and then down in the XM1 mode, the sound plays through the speakers. This was a built in feature, but not one that you would know about accidentally.

Just makes me think there is some way to bypass the unit

epmorgan
08-02-2005, 09:52 PM
I am new to this forum, if this subject has already been discussed please direct me to the right place.

I have an 05 SUV and I'm looking for a possible override code for the nav unit. My wife has an MDX and the nav unit works all the time. I realize the dangers of driving and useing the nav, but it would be nice if my passenger could use it.

I have done some research, and found some good info on a cadillac forum. Apparently, there is a code that could be used on the 03-04 units that overode the motion detection. By holding down the note button, you get a screen that allows you to enter a code (1791) I think. I have tried this on my 05 and I get a screen pop up, but no way to enter a code.

I have heard that the wiring can be spliced and install a toggle switch to bypass the motion detection, but that seems extreme if there is another way.

I have had a CD and DVD player added and the installer has it set up to use a built in switch to allow the sound from the DVD to play through the truck speakers. By pressing the search button up and then down in the XM1 mode, the sound plays through the speakers. This was a built in feature, but not one that you would know about accidentally.

Just makes me think there is some way to bypass the unit

LasVegas
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Same answer as in the other forum. This is for '03 TNR Nav y/91 Lux amp. Check yours for correct pin.

greenhummer
08-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Does the little yellow switch light up? My understanding is that it is important to have the VSS connection for NAV accuracy - i.e. the NAV uses the odometer to "position" the car between getting absolute coordinates from the GPS system.

Where did you source the switch?

thanks,

Greenhummer

LasVegas
08-03-2005, 07:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by greenhummer:
Does the little yellow switch light up? My understanding is that it is important to have the VSS connection for NAV accuracy - i.e. the NAV uses the odometer to "position" the car between getting absolute coordinates from the GPS system.

Where did you source the switch?

thanks,

Greenhummer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It can light up but I didn't want it to since it's on 99% of the time and didn't want the glare at night. You're just putting the switch inline in the VSS wire to temporarily disconnect so you'll have all the nav functions while driving. Then turn the switch back on for vss input.

PARAGON
08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I don't have the VSS wire hooked up (yet) and at this point don't anticipate having to. I've not had any problems with it keeping up while moving.

LasVegas
08-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I didn't either....at first...and it seemed to do fine. Then it started jerking here lately. After connecting the vss it's verrrry smooth.

Hummertech
08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
I don't have the VSS wire hooked up (yet) and at this point don't anticipate having to. I've not had any problems with it keeping up while moving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably won't have trouble, unless you start driving through long tunnels or between tall skyscrapers.

LasVegas
08-04-2005, 06:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
I don't have the VSS wire hooked up (yet) and at this point don't anticipate having to. I've not had any problems with it keeping up while moving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably won't have trouble, unless you start driving through long tunnels or between tall skyscrapers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They don't have those in Mississippi http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PARAGON
08-04-2005, 07:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LasVegas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:

You probably won't have trouble, unless you start driving through long tunnels or between tall skyscrapers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They don't have those in Mississippi http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ummm...... unless you consider a viaduct a tunnel and a 20 story building a skyscraper, but we do have lots and lots of trees. That's when I usually lose signal here, but I am used to that and it's usually on roads in the boondocks.

LoLo
08-05-2005, 11:34 AM
LV...

Assuming that allows you to input new addresses/destinations or search while driving?

(Oh, I must clarify http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif for the PASSENGER to do so while moving! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

captainmike
08-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Are there any other affect when the VSS is off?
Where would i look for the radio 12 pin connector?
is there any software method to overide the vss?

LasVegas
08-05-2005, 02:31 PM
LV...

Assuming that allows you to input new addresses/destinations or search while driving?

(Oh, I must clarify Wink for the PASSENGER to do so while moving! Big Grin)

<span class="ev_code_RED">Correct</span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by captainmike:
Are there any other affect when the VSS is off?
Where would i look for the radio 12 pin connector?
is there any software method to overide the vss? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <span class="ev_code_RED">No software methods that I know of and no other effects. 12 pin connector is in the rear of the radio head.</span>

john5519
10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Anyone do this on an 05 H2 yet? If it is different, do I just look for the E pin even if it is not in the same position as the diagram above, and if so also what color wire would it be?

rodster
11-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Looks to be the same. From the '05 service manual:

john5519
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Thank you Rodster & Las Vegas, just finished it up and it works great!

Just to let others know, the '05, close enough, but wasn't exactly like the pic shown. There were 4 sets of holes (squares actually) in the front but there were only two rows of wires in the middle, and the "E" was in the exact same place as pictured. They are very small and out on the corners but the A-M lettering is on the plastic shell (actually only 4 letters). There is also another green and white wire above the "E" so make sure you have the correct end up when you cut...

I used the same kind of switch (same location even) as LasVegas, except it does not light up. Radio Shack had a ton of different ones...

Thanks again!

DeBest
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john5519:
Thank you Rodster & Las Vegas, just finished it up and it works great!

Just to let others know, the '05, close enough, but wasn't exactly like the pic shown. There were 4 sets of holes (squares actually) in the front but there were only two rows of wires in the middle, and the "E" was in the exact same place as pictured. They are very small and out on the corners but the A-M lettering is on the plastic shell (actually only 4 letters). There is also another green and white wire above the "E" so make sure you have the correct end up when you cut...

I used the same kind of switch (same location even) as LasVegas, except it does not light up. Radio Shack had a ton of different ones...

Thanks again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John5519, its been about four days since you made the mod are there any problems with it? Do you hit the switch when you want to input new data while you are moving and then turn it back on immediately after? Explain how you are using it please.

john5519
11-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Hummafied, no problems at all so far and I do not foresee any coming. We just moved to AZ and have been using it all the time exactly as you asked above.

We could not be any happier, it was a big pain and scary to pull over on the AZ freeways to input directions. I think much more dangerous than inputting the NAV while driving...

sfadchi
06-22-2007, 02:03 AM
What happens if I just disconnect the wire? I dont feel like having to flip a switch when I want to use my nav.

WHOSNEXT
06-22-2007, 02:21 AM
What happens if I just disconnect the wire? I dont feel like having to flip a switch when I want to use my nav.

my nav didnt work as well when disconnected, so i use the switch to put input in and switch it back for the nav to work properly.

sfadchi
06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
by did not work as well what do you mean? My SUT is brand new with a little over 400 miles total on it and seems like the nav is choppy anyways.

WHOSNEXT
06-26-2007, 02:53 PM
by did not work as well what do you mean? My SUT is brand new with a little over 400 miles total on it and seems like the nav is choppy anyways.

It was very glitchy, sometimes it would have a hard time finding vehicle location, I tried to do with out switch but got too frustrated.

HUM GOOD
06-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Looks to be the same. From the '05 service manual:

I'd like to do this mod - where is this box actually located?

s_c5519
05-22-2008, 07:15 PM
FYI... I just did an '07 H2, the wires are the same as the '05 I did (I was john5519 then) shown above...

The E wire is green and white and there is another green and white wire (I think H) on top of it so make sure you look for the tiny tiny letters (they are there, you won't find them right away) on each side of the plug so you don't snip the wrong one...

Dwaxman1
06-29-2008, 01:50 PM
so this is the only way to get this to work?

Has anyone had any luck since??

Braveheart7
11-17-2008, 01:44 AM
removed the upper dash ( radio surround)and manged to get my hand behind it and pull out plug, connceted two wires and put the switch on.

drove with it and flicked teh switch and bingo, Nav lit up and allowed me to input address etc, once complete flicked the switch again and normal mode.

At this point no challenges graphics everything work great. :dancingbanana:

This will save time rather than pulling off the highway to change directions.
thanks everyone.

05 Hummer

Luv2Camp
11-09-2009, 11:13 PM
You need the switch. The nav will not work correctly if you just disable to VSS wire. VERY jumpy.... I did this mod and LOVE it... My H2 does not have the air ride so I placed the toggle in the area that the button for the ride height would have been (under the 4wd buttons)