PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone's SMA tire carrier rattle?

H2Jim
11-30-2002, 04:27 PM
My SMA tire carrier rattles over bumps. Everything appears to be mounted correctly, I guess it is just the play in the carrier. It was driving me crazy last weekend at the desert! If others don't rattle, maybe mine is too far out of tolerances.

Thanks, Jim Lake.

H2Jim
11-30-2002, 04:27 PM
My SMA tire carrier rattles over bumps. Everything appears to be mounted correctly, I guess it is just the play in the carrier. It was driving me crazy last weekend at the desert! If others don't rattle, maybe mine is too far out of tolerances.

Thanks, Jim Lake.

BA
11-30-2002, 07:12 PM
I went to the hills yesterday and mine was rattling too. Drove me nuts. Must be in the latch area. Am going to see what I can do about it later today and post results.

h2fan
11-30-2002, 09:36 PM
was that easy to put on have herd something about the wires for the plate that you have to cut a certien color /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

H2Jim
12-01-2002, 04:03 AM
Huh?

H2Girl
12-01-2002, 04:15 AM
Mine was rattling and driving me crazy! It's where the part of the tire carrier goes into the left side bracket. Everytime you go over a bump, the part that holds the tire bounces up and down hitting the top and bottom of the inside of the bracket. I fixed mine by shaving down and gluing rubber bumpers on the top and bottom of the bracket ( where the locking pin fit's in). Make sure it's a snug fit between the carrier bar and the bumpers. 3000 miles later...still no noise and never fell off. Good luck on yours! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

H2Girl
12-01-2002, 04:19 AM
Hey H2Fan??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif It's easy to put on and the wire for the license plate light just splices onto to trailer wiring. If you need help, My husband is around to help you. Just give us a shout out! We live in Rockville Centre

h2fan
12-01-2002, 10:03 AM
h2girl thank you very much for the help just might do that pacing the floor right now /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif due date monday /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tiger Bait
12-01-2002, 10:56 AM
the dealer installed mine and the guys put what looked like adhesive backed rubber pads in the receiver slot for the cross bar(top and bottom). Mine fits very snugly, no rattle at all.

H2Jim
12-01-2002, 02:12 PM
Good tips - I'll try it out today.

Thanks.

Arizona Hummerboy
12-01-2002, 03:55 PM
I cut a old bikecycke intertube and put over the are were the locking pen goes thru, no more noise

HummerGirl
12-01-2002, 05:21 PM
yes mine rattles like that...did not notice until after my off roading adventure...

gonna try the rubber bumper thing....that may just do the trick!!!

~amy
Reality is merely a crutch for those with a broken imagination.~anon.