PDA

View Full Version : SUPERCHARGED - Which Option is Best For You? - Ultimate Hummers Mag

ShaunH3
11-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Here's the article I was promising from another thread that details quite nicely our options for forced induction.

Scanned from the pages of Ultimate Hummers Fall 2005 edition

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_1.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_2.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_3.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_4.jpg

ShaunH3
11-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Here's the article I was promising from another thread that details quite nicely our options for forced induction.

Scanned from the pages of Ultimate Hummers Fall 2005 edition

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_1.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_2.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_3.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/siron/SuperCharged_4.jpg

Fastest H-Town Realtor
11-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Although it is plenty informative, I would have more enjoyed a back to back stock kit testing with real world numbers and dyno results.

Sportsdude
11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Good info, thanks! Supercharger is in my future once I get some miles on the H2 and enough cash saved up.

kodiakz
11-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Well, I can't speak about turbos, but I do have a good deal of experience with GM trucks and blowers. We currently sell and install Magnusun units and have one on our demo H2--it runs like mad!! No problems and very easy to install and to maintain. We tried some Vortech units a few years back and, although they did produce nice power, I found that we were constantly adjusting them especially their fmu's. One of my local competitors sells whipple and he told me that they had a tendency to seize up and fail completely. I am sure that was just some isolated instances, but he said it happened on more than a few. Further, I had read a bulletin about the Whip causing lean engine failures due to their aux fuel injector design. I don;t know if they have changed that design or not, but you would surely have to conclude that spraying extra fuel into the intake is less efficient than simply putting more pressure to larger injectors as Magnusun does. It is so nice to simply take off the old manifold and drop the new unit (blower, intake, fuel rails, and larger injectors) into place and simply bolt it down. Then you put in the beefier feul pump and the job is done. Not that easy with most others. I am not sure, but I believe that Magnusun is the only one that offers (for a fee of course) an extended 3/36 warranty for the power train.

Dewi2005
11-02-2005, 03:47 PM
This may be a stupid question, but since I have not read the answer anywhere, I think the answer is yes, but wanted to ask.

When adding a supercharger of any type, does the fuel octane rating have to increase? Meaning, you cannot run regular unleaded in your H2 after installing a supercharger??? Also, if the answer is 'yes you must run higher octane' then what is the recommended octane level for a supercharged H2?

Thanks

Dewi2005
11-02-2005, 04:39 PM
OK... I have done some additional research and found some answers.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Need to run higher octane such as Super Unleaded 91 octane etc..
<LI>Also, Magnagcharger has comitted to some dealers that they will honor the warranty if the engine has headers, air intake etc... if the charger/aftermarket parts are dealer installed.
[/list]

Thanks

Sportsdude
11-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Any idea on how much power the magnacharger put out on stock engine?

shipbldr
11-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Supercharger was less than $5000 from online vendor

Installation was about $1000 at Hummersgonewild

Stupid **it eating grin... free!

I love mine.

Dewi2005
11-02-2005, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sportsdude:
Any idea on how much power the magnacharger put out on stock engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Sportsdude..

Based on the Magnacharger website you should see:

Torque and horsepower increases are improved 63%-125% from 2,700 rpm to 5,500 rpm... Makes 5-6 psi of boost for an additional 130 RWHP (155 Flywheel HP)...

Im have a Magnacharger on order... I can't wait to 'Feel the Power'!!!

OrangeCrush
11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sportsdude:
Any idea on how much power the magnacharger put out on stock engine? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't speak for the H2 but my Corvette has a Maggie on it. Non intercooled, it puts out roughly 90-100 RWHP. The intercooled version puts out 120-130RWHP.

I purposely didn't buy the intercooled one because I have alcohol injection.

Nonetheless, the reason for the Maggie is because it is EXTREMELY dependable and easy to install. Other than pinning the crank, it's a no-brainer. It comes with a program to upload into your PCM but generally it's a "safe" program... meaning, a little tweaking on a dyno and you could pull out another 10-20 RWHP.

I'm probably going to be selling my vette soon, if I do, the first thing I'm buying is another Maggie for the H2.

Mark

kodiakz
11-03-2005, 12:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When adding a supercharger of any type, does the fuel octane rating have to increase? Meaning, you cannot run regular unleaded in your H2 after installing a supercharger??? Also, if the answer is 'yes you must run higher octane' then what is the recommended octane level for a supercharged H2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, on the H2, we had Magnusun and Allen Nelson make a tune for 87 octane fuel and it acutally runs good--and even with 8.5 lbs of boost. I have a 91 octane tune that I may use if gas comes back down to reality, but I am interested to see the power difference between the 2 which I suspect is rather small. The main reason to run the 91 or higher is to try and avoid detonation.

OrangeCrush
11-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Kodiak,

How are you running 8.5lbs of boost on a Maggie? I'm assuming it's intercooled but that seems like a lot of boost. Have you had the truck dynoed with the 91 tune? Or the 87 tune for that matter?

Thanks,

Mark

kodiakz
11-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Haven't dynoed yet, but with the tune and a 2.9" pulley that is the boost I max out at. Very surprisingly, I have no detonation especially at elevation running crappy 87 octane fuel. I have yet to run the 91 tune mostly just due to lack of time! Still trying to get everything else installed. We did do headers and a straight through exhaust (no mid muffler) so it flows very nice indeed!!

Dewi2005
11-03-2005, 02:05 AM
Hey Kodiakz

How would I go about finding Allen Nelson?? I would prefer to be able to run the 87 octane (for the $$ reason). Any help/direction you can give me will be great! Thanks

kodiakz
11-03-2005, 02:49 AM
Allen is a really good guy. He will absolutely go out of his way to take care of you. If you do not want to buy software or a programmer, he will send you a new pcm that you can swap in easily. You can reach him @ nelsonperformance dot com. You might just want to keep your pcm and have him send you a new one just in case the dealer reflashes the new one and you need a retune.

OrangeCrush
11-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Just a helpful correction.

Nelson Performance, LLC
25136 Rawhide
San Antonio, TX 78264
PHONE: (210) 626-0278

E-mail us: info@nelsonperformance.com

Kodiak accidently forgot the "info" part of the email address.

Mark

kodiakz
11-03-2005, 09:34 AM
oops http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Sorry!

OrangeCrush
11-03-2005, 09:45 AM
It's cool. Just trying to help. I sent them an email myself.

Mark

KenP
11-03-2005, 04:41 PM
I pull that kind of boost, but I did encounter some detonation on the way home from Moab going through some of the passes. I run premium.

You've probably seen it before, but here's a link (http://media.putfile.com/0-6051) to my 0-60 before I had it retuned. BTW, I'm going to have it tuned again now that my warranty is out with LPE.

kodiakz
11-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Man that scoots pretty good!! What is that--about 7 sec 0-60? Sounds like a Magnusun. What are you running for exhaust/headers? Nice hotties in the Avatar by the way http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

KenP
11-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Borla, B&B cat back
6.46 - 0-60
This is basically the package (http://www.lingenfelter.com/pack_suv_500h2.htm) I got.

PARAGON
11-04-2005, 06:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodiakz:
Man that scoots pretty good!! What is that--about 7 sec 0-60? Sounds like a Magnusun. What are you running for exhaust/headers? Nice hotties in the Avatar by the way http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it's a schooch under 7 sec.

kodiakz
11-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Did you have Lingenfelter do the motor work, or just the blower package? What size pulley do you run?

CslRkH2
11-05-2005, 01:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
I pull that kind of boost, but I did encounter some detonation on the way home from Moab going through some of the passes. I run premium.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does detonation mean?

So up to the Eisenhower Tunnel (the big tunnel over/through the Divide) how did your rig run? How fast were you driving and what was your RPM...if you even remember. I was talking with Adam about this and our trucks really have to wind up the RPMs to keep it at 80 up there.

KenP
11-05-2005, 02:17 AM
35 bish. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LPE did everything.

Detonation is pre-ignition of the fuel in the cylinders.

When traveling through the passes I would just leave my truck's cruise on and shoot up the mountains. It didn't slow at all when other vehicles started to drop to the right lanes.

CslRkH2
11-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Did it downshift at all?

KenP
11-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Yes, on the really long, steep ones.

CslRkH2
11-05-2005, 02:37 AM
That's cool. Sometimes I think I'm gonna have to get out and push.

kodiakz
11-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Did you do any tranny mods (besides the stall) to handle the power? How long did it take them to do all the work?

KenP
11-05-2005, 04:41 PM
About a month and I did have the trans done.

Dewi2005
11-05-2005, 10:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodiakz:
Actually, on the H2, we had Magnusun and Allen Nelson make a tune for 87 octane fuel and it acutally runs good--and even with 8.5 lbs of boost. I have a 91 octane tune that I may use if gas comes back down to reality, but I am interested to see the power difference between the 2 which I suspect is rather small. The main reason to run the 91 or higher is to try and avoid detonation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Kodiakz

I contacted Allen and you are correct... Very quick reply and helpful information.

Since I emailed him again afterhours, I was wondering if you may be able to answer my questions... How much roughly does the 87 octane program with exchange PCM cost?? and without the exchange??

Thanks

OrangeCrush
11-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Glad you got a reply. I sent an email too and haven't heard anything from him.

His loss, not mine, my money spends anywhere.

Mark

kodiakz
11-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Sometmes he does get a little busy as the rest of us do. Give him a minute and you will be glad you did. I had a chance to deal with another tuner that rhymes with besters and he was unfriendly, high priced, and basically told me in no uncerain terms that he was the best and that I could take it or leave it he even said he really didn't care!!!!!! Allen has helped me so many times I can't even remember and on stuff that I didn't purchase through him.

As for cost I am not sure as Allen and I usually do trade outs. I do know that the core charge for a pcm is $150 and I think that is his cost. As for tuning, you would need to speak with him as I would hate to misquote him.

His tunes are awesome! He begins where superchips, predator, and hypertech leave off. Very tweaky tuning, but worth it if you know what you want.

HGW
11-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Ken, old friend--not all detonation is pre-ignition. Didn't you read the article????

It was written for the masses and does not get that technical.

I know the author.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
John You should be commended on the article also. Most do not look at the author but, I do and You did a very good job and nothing there to disagree with by anyone I should think. You keep up the great work of informing the newbies and Us more experienced owners as well. I learn something everytime.
Thanks

TAZ

KenP
11-08-2005, 03:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummersGoneWild:
Ken, old friend--not all detonation is pre-ignition. Didn't you read the article????

I know the author. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, I know that guy! I'll read the article now. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks John.

Dewi2005
11-08-2005, 03:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:
John You should be commended on the article also. Most do not look at the author but, I do and You did a very good job and nothing there to disagree with by anyone I should think. You keep up the great work of informing the newbies and Us more experienced owners as well. I learn something everytime.
Thanks

TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree.... this article helped me make an 'informed' decision on my supercharger purchase.. Excellent information.

PARAGON
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummersGoneWild:

I know the author. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, I know that guy! I'll read the article now. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks John. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sad, but I just now read it. Probably the best, most concise piece of info about induction on this site.

HGW
11-09-2005, 08:02 PM
A Note:
Regarding fuel--the stock Mag tune used 91 Octane fuel to prevent/reduce detonation.

If you use 87, you have to make sure your tune is changed. I personally stay away from anything but 91 Octane with forced induction. Cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.

I have seen guys blow these big bitches up and they are not happy when they leave the vehicle. In all cases so far, they either beat the **** out of their engine or had a fuel related failure, like a fuel pump and then continued to run their engines while it knocked.

drmiles
11-09-2005, 08:18 PM
1. More horse power makes it accelerate like a sports car. No need to use all the horses, just a few and off you go.

2. But most important to me; I now can tow a 10,000 lb trailer up overpasses and hills without down shifting or accelerating excessively.

Yes I know I could get a dulley 1 ton and pull the same, but I love the ride and feel of the H2.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geraldo:
Why hav mor horses in such a big truk? Who cars anyway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>