PDA

View Full Version : SNOW CHAINS

OLE YLLR
11-25-2002, 03:49 PM
ANY WORD OUT THERE ABOUT THE SNOW CHAINS? I KNOW IT'S AN OLD SUBJECT, BUT INTERESTED IN ANY NEW DEVELOPMENTS. TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING. OLE YLLR

OLE YLLR
11-25-2002, 03:49 PM
ANY WORD OUT THERE ABOUT THE SNOW CHAINS? I KNOW IT'S AN OLD SUBJECT, BUT INTERESTED IN ANY NEW DEVELOPMENTS. TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING. OLE YLLR

SJ
11-26-2002, 03:49 PM
OLE YELLR:

Now that snow season has started, I've had a chance to see if there are any Hummers with chains. I've crossed paths with about a dozen Hummers (Tahoe supposedly has the highest Hummer per capita count outside military bases).

Thus far, not a single Hummer with chains. The snow fall isn't too heavy yet, but I don't think I'll be seeing any chains on these rigs.

My suggestion would be to change to BFG Mud Terrains when your existing tires wear down. Four Wheeler did a recent test and the Mud Tires do get better snow traction due to their ability to clear the tread of snow pack.

Other than that, you'll be fine so long as your tires remain M + S rated. I've been running 33" or larger tires with said rating on many a vehicle and never felt the need for chains - even my light-ended Dodge Ram did fine!

OLE YLLR
11-26-2002, 04:20 PM
THANKS SJ. MY WIFE AND I ARE PLANNING TO DRIVE CROSS COUNTRY TO NEW YORK EARLY NEXT YEAR AND WE JUST WANT TO BE PREPARED. MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY F150 4X4 AND BFG ALL TERRAINS HAS BEEN GOOD HOWEVER THE CHP STOPPED ME GOING UP TO THE LOCAL MTS AND HAD ME SHOW THEM MY CHAINS BEFORE I COULD GO UP THE HILL. MAYBE IF THEY SAW ME IM THE H2 THEY WOULD'NT HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS. THANKS AGAIN!!! OLE YLLR

SJ
11-26-2002, 04:31 PM
I don't blame you, I'd hate to be travelling cross country and get turned back only to have to hunt for a place selling chains in a desolate place.

Every State varies so I'd still explore.

Dogger
11-26-2002, 07:05 PM
I spoke with a gentleman from www.tirechain.com (http://www.tirechain.com) who was very pleasant. A tire chain for 285/70/17 is listed on the site but for a 315/70/17 low clearance chain like the H2 needs He says there is no such chain available anywhere.
TireChains (http://www.tirechain.com)