PDA

View Full Version : Chrome wheels + 33 inch Tires

DeLeon
05-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Hey you guys, I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and I think that it is by far the best hummer fan's forum I've ever read, I will get my new H3 soon and I hope I can get in touch with a few Hummer owners in southern California to go off-rading some time this summer (Baja would be a great place to test the new H3s).

Anyway, I wanted to know if you guys have any ideas on how I could get the Adventure package AND the chrome wheels, I know that hummer says that you can't get them but I don't understand why??

H3Builder, do you have any ideas? Can't they just order some chrome wheels and replace them for the ones that come with the Adventure package? My Dealer in San Diego does not have a clue about ANYTHING so I was wondering if any of you guys would give me some ideas on how to accomplish this.

Thank You!!

HummerNewbie
05-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Are set on wanting the factory chrome rims? If not, just get some after market rims that you like after you get the H3. This would probably be cheaper than going through the dealer even if they can order the chrome ones for you after getting it.

DeLeon
05-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Well, I really like the factory chrome rims, that's why I want to know if there is any "technical impediment" that would not allow me to use the factory chrome rims with the 33 inch tires, I just can't think of any but I'm sure that hummer is not selling them for a reason and I would like to know more details about that... all they say is:

"Sorry, but you can't get the Chrome Wheels and the Off-road Suspension Package. The Off-road Suspension Package includes 33" tires and the Chrome Wheel is made for the 32" tires".

WHY?? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

killian
05-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Un educated guess:
The adventure package is made for off roading, chrome rims are not. Maybe they just didn't think that the serious off roaders would want the rims.

I saw a Tahoe with the Z71 offroad package (that you pay extra for) and it had some serious low profile street rims on it. Didn't make much sense to me but I'm caucasian and can't dance so what do I know?

usetosellhummer
05-23-2005, 08:27 PM
You can put bigger rubber on the chrome rim. You will not like what happens when you hit a rock with the chrome but it can be done. the factory will not do it. Just go tire shopping after you get the truck and sell the old rubber on ebay or trade it in to the tire store of your choice for credit on your new 33"s. wit 6 months and their will be even more tire choice aftermarket.

H3wannabe
05-23-2005, 08:46 PM
My local dealer said that they have a relationship with a local tire dealer and that they would switch the tires...but we never discussed $$ as I decided not to go with chrome.

I would think most dealers would have some arrangement with tire dealers?

H3wannabe

DeLeon
05-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Just go tire shopping after you get the truck and sell the old rubber on ebay or trade it in to the tire store of your choice for credit on your new 33"s. wit 6 months and their will be even more tire choice aftermarket.

I'd do that if I could order the Adventure Package without the 33" tires (and just the chrome wheels with the 32" on it)... I would not get the H3 without the Suspension Package, but if I do that then I can't order the Chrome wheels, does that make any sence??

I'd buy the chrome wheels if I knew where to buy the original ones... here is the picture of the H3 I felt in love with, that's why I want the chrome wheels so bad...

Hummer4Life
05-23-2005, 09:16 PM
That's exactly like the one I ordered, except I'll be replacing the tires for 33's (like in the picture) or larger!!!! Plus I'm getting the black brushguard and black roof crossrails instead of bright.

H3wannabe
05-23-2005, 09:17 PM
wow that does look nice. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

mstams
05-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by usetosellhummer:
You can put bigger rubber on the chrome rim. You will not like what happens when you hit a rock with the chrome but it can be done. the factory will not do it. Just go tire shopping after you get the truck and sell the old rubber on ebay or trade it in to the tire store of your choice for credit on your new 33"s. wit 6 months and their will be even more tire choice aftermarket.

The H2 Lux series has factory chrome wheels. I've taken them over lots of rocks with no problems. Well, maybe just a few...

BTW - H2's didn't even have factory chrome wheels until the third year ('05).

DeLeon
05-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey Hummer4Life, so you didn't get the Off-Road suspension Package? or how did you get the chrome wheels?

Hummer4Life
05-23-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by DeLeon:
Hey Hummer4Life, so you didn't get the Off-Road suspension Package? or how did you get the chrome wheels?

No, I didn't get the Off-Road Package. I figured the off-road suspension wouldn't be as nice on-road and I would seldom, if ever, go off-road in it. I just like the look of the vehicle. I'm not a die hard off-road warrior!!!

H3 Builder
05-24-2005, 01:06 AM
The offroad package is the different transfercase and the bigger tires, only. As far as I know, the shocks and everything else is the same.

DeLeon
05-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by H3 Builder:
The offroad package is the different transfercase and the bigger tires, only. As far as I know, the shocks and everything else is the same.

Thanks H3 Builder, so if I get my dealer to order the chrome wheels I shouldn't have any problems if I put the 33" tires on them.. right?

Thanks for the input Hummer4Life, I will not do any *hardcore* off-roading but I want to make sure that I will have the right equipment if I ever want to, I go down to Baja ofthen and the sand down there is HEAVY!

H3 Buyer to be?
05-29-2005, 01:44 PM
I just talked to a guy that sells wheels, he says that the bolt pattern is "your truck takes a 8lug 6.5." - Does this make sense at all?

H3 Builder
05-29-2005, 01:56 PM
6 lug 5.5" bolt pattern. Same as the Colorado and Canyon.

wannabeH3
05-29-2005, 03:39 PM
do u guys think 35 inch tires will fit on that bad boy?

DeLeon
05-29-2005, 04:19 PM
6 lug 5.5" bolt pattern. Same as the Colorado and Canyon.
do u guys think 35 inch tires will fit on that bad boy?

I don't think they would fit in the front... I haven't seen one in person though... those who have, let me know if I'm wrong.

wannabeH3
05-29-2005, 07:06 PM
yeah it doesnt look like there would be enough travel without modifications.. looks like you could do an axle under the springs in the rear tho pretty easily

Tommy36998
03-26-2006, 03:13 PM
I did to T-bar adjustment and have 20" wheels. Will 35" tires fit.

Steve - SanJose
03-26-2006, 03:43 PM
DeLeon - check with somebody knowledgeable at your dealership about the chrome wheels (like a senior service advisor). Southern Cal market is a similar urban market to the Bay Area with a lot of custom wheels installed by dealer and therefore a lot of take off wheel inventory. My local dealer has too many OEM wheels of all types which they can sell at attractive prices.

S.

Waxing
03-26-2006, 09:34 PM
This topic was discussed like in September. I remember someone being told that the 33 in. tires were either to heavy or to big for the chrome rims. Anyone else remember this being discussed or the outcome of that topic. I can't remember.

aggiehummer...er
03-27-2006, 02:29 AM
We put the adventure package tires on the factory chrome rims all the time, with no problems.

You can now get chrome rims with the adventure package from the factory. On a non-Adventure H3 the chrome wheel option is code QB9. For anyone ordering, the chrome wheel option on the adventure package is code QB8.

kennyosemite
03-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Neo is running 35" Toyos (LT315/75R 16) on stock H3 wheels with no problem. I just ordered a set myself. Check out his thread with info & many pics:

NEOCON1 thread (http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2706067735/m/7371013461)

/\G
06-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Aggie is correct. You can order the chrome wheels with adventure now. Its also on the Hummer site when you build.

Hummer Guy
06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Chrome/Off-road combo

ufcjeff
06-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I'd do that if I could order the Adventure Package without the 33" tires (and just the chrome wheels with the 32" on it)... I would not get the H3 without the Suspension Package, but if I do that then I can't order the Chrome wheels, does that make any sence??

I'd buy the chrome wheels if I knew where to buy the original ones... here is the picture of the H3 I felt in love with, that's why I want the chrome wheels so bad...

I like the same one but in white. How big are those tires in that Pic? They look like 33" (285/75R16) ??

ufcjeff
07-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Chrome/Off-road combo

So Can I get this wheel/tire set without the adventure/off road pkg? When I built on the hummer site, I had to order the off road pkg to get these wheels :confused:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23480&stc=1&d=1151091637

Sewie
07-03-2006, 07:27 PM
So Can I get this wheel/tire set without the adventure/off road pkg? When I built on the hummer site, I had to order the off road pkg to get these wheels :confused:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23480&stc=1&d=1151091637

You could probably get the dealer to do it. But they'll most likely nail you on the cost. It might be more cost effective to just get the adv. pack.

ufcjeff
07-03-2006, 07:44 PM
You could probably get the dealer to do it. But they'll most likely nail you on the cost. It might be more cost effective to just get the adv. pack.

Isn't there a big difference in the ride between the two? Stiffer suspension with the adventure/off road pkg?

Hummer Guy
07-03-2006, 08:26 PM
the 33s on a non-adventure suspension can give a little bit of sway feeling around turns...that's one reason why the adv suspension is different.

Sewie
07-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Haven't driven a non-adv. H3 so I couldn't tell you the difference in ride. Best to test drive both yourself to compare.

GregDiesel
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I practically gave away my factory chrome wheels, and bought 18" chrome wheels with approx 34" x 13" wide tires. Does great off road and on.

Just check the classifieds and eBay if you want chrome stockers or buy aftermarket.