PDA

View Full Version : new ticking sound coming from engine

orlasttoy
05-14-2006, 06:50 AM
wtf could it be?!?! just started friday evening...

i can hear it clearly when idling...louder when in gear and moving..faster w/ more speed

best part is, IT GOES AWAY after driving 5-10 minutes!

"CHANGE OIL" warning came on today....any connection???

HUMTECH
05-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Try removing accessory drive belt and start the truck and see if noise goes away, if it does start rotating all accessories and pulleys by hand. feel for any rough spots, loose pulleys and of course for the noise. Many engine noises are simply just A rough idler or tensioner pulley bearing on it's way south.

RIC-H0
05-15-2006, 01:06 AM
Try removing accessory drive belt and start the truck and see if noise goes away, if it does start rotating all accessories and pulleys by hand. feel for any rough spots, loose pulleys and of course for the noise. Many engine noises are simply just A rough idler or tensioner pulley bearing on it's way south.
Yep, that's how mine sounded just before the belt busted due to a bad tensioner pulley.
Thought I was gonna have to replace the A/C pulley too, but got lucky with just the tensioner.
I'd check 'em right away, since a busting belt could jack your shiit up if it happens when the hood is open, and engine is running!

cestwick
05-15-2006, 05:42 PM
wtf could it be?!?! just started friday evening...

i can hear it clearly when idling...louder when in gear and moving..faster w/ more speed

best part is, IT GOES AWAY after driving 5-10 minutes!

"CHANGE OIL" warning came on today....any connection???

I would check and see if the rear exhaust manifold bolt is broken on the drivers side. We have had a few trucks come in with the same thing...

Racer-X
05-15-2006, 10:23 PM
I would check and see if the rear exhaust manifold bolt is broken on the drivers side. We have had a few trucks come in with the same thing...

That was my first thought. Small exhaust leaks go away when the engine warms.

KenP
05-16-2006, 08:02 PM
I'd check the oil, the light did come on, right? Low oil can cause a ticking.

orlasttoy
05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
CESTWICK gets the prize...

leaky exhaust manifold...

NOW....who can gues how much the dealer is charging me? :(

(PS..i dunno why all this came out underlined..i cant get rid of it)

OrangeCrush
05-28-2006, 01:09 AM

Damn it, you beat me to it. I had just replaced mine when I started doing it.

Mark

OrangeCrush
05-28-2006, 01:14 AM
CESTWICK gets the prize...

leaky exhaust manifold...

NOW....who can gues how much the dealer is charging me? :(

(PS..i dunno why all this came out underlined..i cant get rid of it)

Do it yourself. I did mine and it took less than an hour. If you do take it to the dealership, they shouldn't be charging more than 2 hours labor. (roughly 160-180 bucks?) plus parts (you'll need exhaust gasket, donut gasket and replace ALL the bolts)

HTH's,

Mark

Andre
05-28-2006, 02:31 AM
is this covered by the emissions warranty?