PDA

View Full Version : Pull out front license plugs?

MAC
01-09-2003, 08:25 PM
How do you pull out or unscrew or snap off the front license plate plugs on the front metal bumper?

It assumed it would be a piece of cake, but just spent 1 hour on them without success. Do I pull it straight out? snap off the round top and keep the stub inside for screws? or do I unscrew those 2 black plastic things plugging the 2 holes up front?

Cannot see what is behind the bumper and hard to grab on to the round black top/cover, tried using a flat screwdriver but must be very carefull not to scratch the black metal bumper. There must a very simple snappy way. Your assistance and advise are appreciated.

MAC
01-09-2003, 08:25 PM
How do you pull out or unscrew or snap off the front license plate plugs on the front metal bumper?

It assumed it would be a piece of cake, but just spent 1 hour on them without success. Do I pull it straight out? snap off the round top and keep the stub inside for screws? or do I unscrew those 2 black plastic things plugging the 2 holes up front?

Cannot see what is behind the bumper and hard to grab on to the round black top/cover, tried using a flat screwdriver but must be very carefull not to scratch the black metal bumper. There must a very simple snappy way. Your assistance and advise are appreciated.

AL MOORE
01-09-2003, 09:14 PM
This procedure is not in the owners manual!!!If you mean the front TAG mounting. It is a plug. I just grabbed it with pliers and pulled it out. I don't think they intend it them to be reused. I got a spare pair from the dealer. The pressure from the tag screws in the plastic frame, will somewhat secure a tag to your H2. At least to 55mph. AL

"Follow the white rabit" .. Matrix 1999

[This message was edited by B MOORE on January 09, 2003 at 03:24 PM.]

Bill Kervaski
01-09-2003, 09:54 PM
I had to get my front bumper repainted. I went to pull mine out and scratched the hell out of the bumper with my plyers.

- Bill

MAC
01-09-2003, 10:33 PM
AL/B Moore, I looked at your DRL photos, you don't have the front TAG/License plate on, guess MS does not require it. Thanks, Bill for your input. I did not find it in the manual, I just figure there must be a more civilized way to pull those out. Everything else on the Hummer is just right and make sense, but these little suckers wasted more time than other more complicated tasks, I got all kinds of pliers, screwdrivers and towels spread out to do the job without success. I may just have to be mean to them, no more Mr. Niceguy.

If anyone else has the magic trick, please kindly share info.

JCJ
01-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Aruba law requires front license plate.
I managed to yank both plastic plugs out, after gym visit. Didn't need scalpel. No scratches.
Bought pair of nuts (consider winged) and bolts w/ square neck but no indentation for screw drive, Allan wrench or other tool. The square neck will hold bolts in place in square hole, duh!
Oops forgot the size, but you can measure hole and lenght of bolt must be at least be 1.5 ".
Next shove first bolt from back of bumper through square hole, grab it with a narrow tooth plier, push it through the corresponding hole in the license plate and while still holding the bolt with the plier turn the nut on the bolt.
Do same with other bolt.
Later you can saw extra length of bolts off or leave it like that or glue some nice snap-it H2 caps on 'm. Good luck! JCJ

BKLYNH2
01-09-2003, 11:24 PM
I put mine in opposite of JCJ. This is my personal preference because I think the exposed nut is too inviting for mischief minded folks. To get the plugs out with less potential for damage ,squeeze your hand into that small space behind bumper and compress and push plugs out. You can even save them to put them back in if you need to. A 5/16 bolt is about the perfect size to fasten plate and holder with. Wing nuts will probably be easier to thread with your hand wedged inside the small bumper opening. By putting the nut inside the bumper you can have the extra security of using a tamper-proof bolt if you need.
Now anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do once I buy a winch. The front plate blocks the hitch receiver.
Peter-

Hummie2
01-10-2003, 12:36 AM
I guess mine was different than yours. When we picked ours up at delivery there were already inserts with mounting screws installed in the square holes in front bumper also a heavy plastic backing plate to keep license plate flat. Rear had license frame already installed.

My wife went to pick the license plates up at dealer and the service guys installed them for her for free. They should for $55k purchase price. Also installed the rear cargo mat that was missing at delivery. Cargo mat was supposed to be included with Lux Package if you didn't order 3rd. seat option.

Don

bklynh2srock
01-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Honey, winch question was already answered, I think -- it was a while ago, but you can search for it.

We had to install plates b/c we bought out of state and then bought plate covers.

NSXTC
01-10-2003, 05:38 AM
Tool Tip

Protect delicate surrounding areas with masking tape prior to using any tools.

Putting tape around the plugs prior to using a plier/screwdriver would have protected the bumper from scratches. Or at least you'll see the tape scratched up and you'll be more aware. Not to put salt on the wound, just a friendly tip which has saved me from many hand slips.

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------

MAC
01-10-2003, 06:00 AM
HummieH2, are you saying you have a license plate holder with bulit-in tube/bar on the back of the plate that fits into the front 2" receiver? (that's the square hole.) Same as a rear hitch step fits into the rear 2" receiver. That would be great. I have not seen anything like that, must do some search on the net. I have seen all sort of stuffs for 2" hitch receivers, step, logo, cover, but not yet a license plate holder. Any one has a source?

Masking tape is good idea. JCJ scared me with his heart surgeon description. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

NSXTC
01-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Here you go MAC...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6766&item=1876733974

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------

JCJ
01-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Wouldn't anything protruding from the front hitch receiver interfere with opening of the hood? Just checking.

AL MOORE
01-10-2003, 10:37 AM
YES!!!

JCJ
01-10-2003, 11:30 AM
B Moore: Yes to my question or happy with David's Ebay suggestion?
MAC: Check this out. "License Plate Step.
NeveRust mirror finished Stainless Steel. Easy mounting on most vehicles with steel bumper and existing license plate holes. Stainless steel hardware included. Easy No-Drill Installation.
Putco Part# 93901 $51.95"
http://www.accessconnect.com/tire_step.htm

JCJ
01-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Or maybe this would suffice?
Now one should hope the holes correspond with your license plate. Otherwise you'll have to drill some.

http://store.yahoo.com/auto-stuff/adtoforclas2.html

JCJ
01-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Found it!
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/00000001/catalog/p1109.html

Hummie2
01-10-2003, 12:21 PM
No MAC...

I wasn't talking about the hitch reciever. Iwas talking about the bolt hole had inserts and screws already in them when we picked it up a dealer. Maybe dealer installed them when it went through PDI. A hitch step would work with plate mounted to it.

Don

MAC
01-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Looks like JCJ has the bullseye hit. Thanks a million, well, thanks $26.95. Thanks to all, hope it helps many others too. Every time I visit the forum, I usually check the Tech section first and save the goodies others found on PC.

JCJ, I have been looking for that Van magnifier lense you talked about often, but nobody sell it anymore, too old fashioned.

JCJ
01-10-2003, 03:22 PM
MAC,
Check out:

http://www.go-rv.com/online/838/showproductdetails?catid=1893

Safety Lenses
3M VANGARD LENSES
Vangard is made of a thin Polyvinyl which adheres instantly without adhesive to the rear window of vans, motorhomes, and campers, to provide a greatly increased angle of view. Lets drivers see many things missed by rear view, side mirrors or regular wide angle mirrors.

AL MOORE
01-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Yes, you would need to remove it from the receiver before pulling the hood forward. AL

AL MOORE
01-10-2003, 04:24 PM
The etrailer plate looks good, but remember the front receiver hole is vetical. AL

hinten
01-10-2003, 04:41 PM
So how do you think the Hidden Hitch plat gets afixed. It looks like it requires a horizontal bolt. I thought the front H2 trailer hitch only has a vertical slot for a bolt?

JCJ
01-10-2003, 05:08 PM
1. I think the Hidden Hitch plate has two 2" vertical "angelwings" on its back (of which you see only one on the pic) which fit into hitch receiver. Indeed this poses a problem, because the locking pin goes vertically into the hitch receiver. Oh oh!
If only a welder could afix two horizontal pieces (with "pin" hole) as to create a square which fits into the receiver...
Real enthousiasts work going on here.

2. Only if there is a brush guard installed one should beware of obstruction of a(n eventual) license plate holder sticking out of the hitch.

JCJ
01-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Alternatives for front hitch license plate holder:
1. ttp://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=6771&Category_Code=FMH
But this needs modification:
a)Drill vertical hole
b)Dril license plate hole
2. Found a local welder (husband of my technician AMOF) who's going to design and construct s'thing 4 me. Will let you know.

hinten
01-10-2003, 06:09 PM
What I don't understand is: If these pieces are designed for the front hitch why don't they all have the vertical pin holes? Did Hummer go a different direction with their front hitch design? I assumed that all trailer hitches have the horizontal pin and all front hitches have the vertical pin.

Also, I have a hitch attachment for bikes and such. I though I could use it on the front hitch but I guess I can't because of the pin placement.

JCJ
01-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Was wondering: Is the front hitch receiver of the H2 designed for the soly use of the (WARN?) winch only then?
Someone made a remark earlier that the hole on top middle of the bumper is intended for (long?) pin to hold the front winch.
In that case could that same pin be used to lock other hitched accessories?
Like a bike carrier, in which you'd have to drill a vertical hole BTW.
Or even a license plate holder?
Who knows more?

MAC
01-10-2003, 10:29 PM
On my way home I stopped by the Hummer dealer, the Hummer manager said he will put the plate up for me. He spoke of something not mentioned above. Throw away the current plugs, put screw receivers in the back(inside bumper) where the screws will enter. I think I may even have something like that in my parts pins, seen them before. I'll let him do it for me, if he scratch my bumper, he will paint it for me.

Gary in MN is the only one I have seen here with a front winch(WARN) installed. He's the one who went to Aruba for vacation. Ask Gary.

[This message was edited by MAC on January 10, 2003 at 04:38 PM.]

JCJ
01-10-2003, 10:31 PM
If used in the front hitch reveiver:
Will that pin be long enough?
And where's the part (hitch) which goes INTO the receiver?
Anybody who got this setup, please be so kind to describe.

MAC
01-15-2003, 03:15 AM
I had the front plate installed a few days ago, I thought I will give the gang a report. It is actually super easy, and I am very embarrassed it turned into such a fuss.

1- Pull out the 2 front plate black plastic plugs slightly.
2- Put masking tape around the plugs to prevent any scratch to the black metal bumper.
3- Use any basic pliers with teeth to grab the plug head and pull it straight out.
4- Each Hummer comes with a plastic front plate frame.
5- Fit the top 2 legs/pegs into the square holes on the front bumper.
6- Gently hammer in at the 2 top holes/pegs. Should hold well.
7- screw in the front license plate.

My initial failure to tackle this elementary task was caused by:
1- I did not want to accidentally scratch the bumper, solved by Todd’s suggestion of masking tape.
2- I did not know the Hummer plastic front plate frame was designed to fit into the holes in the front bumper.

AL MOORE
01-15-2003, 10:49 AM
MAC,

Very good list. I wish that I had that back in October. You should be in the H2 manual!!!

AL

Did you remove the tape, or leave it?

"I come to you now; at the turn of the tide" 2002 Gandalf T.W.

Big Z
01-15-2003, 12:58 PM
JCJ-The pin that comes with the set-up will not work. Use the pin that comes in your Tire Kit.

JCJ
01-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Big Z. Thanks.
Part F? Page 5-20 of manual.
My H2 didn't come with that nor the hitch receiver extension! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif