PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid question

vip808
06-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Can I use any power steering fluid from WalMart or do I need to get the GM power steering fluid from the dealer? Would it matter, performance wise and would using something other than GM brand products void any warranties?

vip808
06-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Can I use any power steering fluid from WalMart or do I need to get the GM power steering fluid from the dealer? Would it matter, performance wise and would using something other than GM brand products void any warranties?

ARH1956
06-05-2005, 02:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vip808:
Can I use any power steering fluid from WalMart or do I need to get the GM power steering fluid from the dealer? Would it matter, performance wise and would using something other than GM brand products void any warranties? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Unless you are going to a Synthetic PS Fluid, there's very little difference. Just be sure it is a "GM" approved product. Synthetic PS fluids operate marginally cooler, but offer no real upgrade otherwise.

vip808
06-05-2005, 05:42 AM
ARH1956
Thanks for the response...would you recommend one name brand over another?

ARH1956
06-05-2005, 05:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vip808:
ARH1956
Thanks for the response...would you recommend one name brand over another? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't use Store Brand Fluids of any sort, just a personal preference, I'm sure they're fine.I'd go with a "Brand" name, most of your oil companies have it, IE: Pennzoil, Amoco, etc. If you want to go with Synthetic you're going to be limited to Red Line & 1 or 2 others. Good luck.

NoMoGMPG
06-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Since I live in a cold weather climate, I use the GM Cold Climate Power Steering fluid. It does eliminate the foaming under hard use and in the winter it is smooth as glass. I had pump whine during extended hard use (Durango), now it is very quiet.

Dave