PDA

View Full Version : DRIVELINE QUESTION H2

2blue
05-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Driveline question:

Why is the hummer all wheel drive? Why not rear wheel drive? Am i missing something??????? I just bought a hummer h2 and then learned this. Stupid question i guess but i must ask.

Is there a way to disconnect this drive system and make it rear wheel drive then if there's an issue and you need 4x4 then you could push a button?

No flamming please i just bought this truck i have no clue about it....but at $1.03 a liter for gas...only makes sense to me :)

2blue
06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
umm...well thanks for letting me know :)

PARAGON
06-02-2006, 01:56 PM
actually, a better question would be why would you want only rear wheel drive?

Are you under the misconception that it will save on fuel consumption?

KenP
06-02-2006, 06:11 PM
actually, a better question would be why would you want only rear wheel drive?

Are you under the misconception that it will save on fuel consumption?He actually wants us to buy his propane system.

2blue
06-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Im not selling propane system..lol

GeorgeSSSS
06-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I guess I'm laboring under the misconception that being able to switch to rear wheel drive would save money because you would be rotating fewer parts under power. That is, if the H2 had 6 wheels, and you powered them all, the truck would get worse milage than if it had rear wheel drive only.

My truck before the H2 was a 1996 Mitsubishi Montero SR (an OUTSTANDING truck until someone destroyed it in an auto accident). The Mitsu could go from 4 wheel drive (locked center & rear diff) to AWD to 2WD -- -- and the latter seemed to get better milage than AWD or 4WD.

I could be wrong about this, but that's what I remember. Someone straighten me out regarding whether the H2 would get better milage if it had 2WD.

BTW: I've had my H2 for more than a year and it has been PERFECT. Every switch, every fitting, everything.

Best regards,

George

PARAGON
06-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I guess I'm laboring under the misconception that being able to switch to rear wheel drive would save money because you would be rotating fewer parts under power. That is, if the H2 had 6 wheels, and you powered them all, the truck would get worse milage than if it had rear wheel drive only.

My truck before the H2 was a 1996 Mitsubishi Montero SR (an OUTSTANDING truck until someone destroyed it in an auto accident). The Mitsu could go from 4 wheel drive (locked center & rear diff) to AWD to 2WD -- -- and the latter seemed to get better milage than AWD or 4WD.

I could be wrong about this, but that's what I remember. Someone straighten me out regarding whether the H2 would get better milage if it had 2WD.

BTW: I've had my H2 for more than a year and it has been PERFECT. Every switch, every fitting, everything.

Best regards,

GeorgeWell, George, you got the misconception part right.

You are simply reducing the power flow through the front and nothing else. You are not disengaging any of the front drive since you you would also have to somehow add in locking and unlocking hubs to do that.

Mainly though, you can't draw a comparison between vehicles as the H2 simply will not achieve significant gains in gas mileage unless you first do something about the aero and the weight.

So, it gets back to common sense. What if you could get 2 mpg more by switching out T-cases and slapping in some manual hubs. How long is it going to take before you get back the costs of the conversion by saving only 2 MPG.