PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes G

31_bandits
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Have any of you ladies/gents owned one & if you did, did you do any wheeling?

A good friend has caught the off-road bug while playing with my H2 lately. Our trips aren't up to oooh/awww video caliber, to be sure, but they are fun.

I think he doesn't want to be a copycat with another H2 (he's kind of competitive that way), but wants something that he can have some fun with.

thanks

NEOCON1
06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
tell him to get the h3 then you could really mess with him :D G-wagon = overpriced mall runner

DDWH
06-05-2006, 05:14 PM
tell him to get the H1 then you could really mess with him :D G-wagon = Ghey Wagon grocery getter

fizzle sticked:D;)

DRTYFN
06-05-2006, 05:21 PM
This is the Other Off-roading Vehicle forum. Shouldn't a topic about Ghey wagens be in the General Off Topic forum with all of the other joke items?:D

31_bandits
06-05-2006, 08:02 PM
:D :p :D :D you guys are funny.

does anybody ever wheel a G-class at all, or are they truly a boulevard machine. for that matter, do range rovers ever see a trail?

i tried googling for g-class video today but didn't get anywhere.

ShaggyX
06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Pretty sure we saw some G-Classes (or however you would pluralize it) on the Poison Spider Mesa trail in Moab a couple of years ago. Not a Benz fan so I am not certain...but they were the boxy ones. They seemed to do fairly well on that trail for the short time I saw them. Could probably hold their own versus most stockers.

31_bandits
06-05-2006, 09:35 PM
that's cool.

i still can't find squat for video or commentary, except the occasional "off-road" review by something like motor trend. those complain that it drives like a truck. interesting, and very revealing, considering that it is a truck.

the basic vehicle specs for offroading are only ok, from a review i dug up clearance = 8.3", approach/departure = 36/27

3 locking differentials, though, which is one-up on the H2. which reminds me, i have to write those one guys about the eaton front locker.

ShaggyX
06-05-2006, 09:58 PM
the basic vehicle specs for offroading are only ok, from a review i dug up clearance = 8.3", approach/departure = 36/27

3 locking differentialsSo there are 4 things that it has better than my old s10 Zr2 (assuming the clearance is better...although I am not sure what it was on my s10)...and I managed to keep up with H2's. With a competent driver, and decent tires I bet it would be right on your tail 90% of the time.

HummBebe
06-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Here is a guy who uses them on the Rubicon:eek:

http://www.4x4abc.com/G-Class/index.html

31_bandits
06-06-2006, 12:24 AM
hey, thanks you guys.

its fun, but sometimes perplexing, to find things that the H2 can do that a pickup and the like can't. i have an '05 silverado and various friends and neighbors have this and that. Often it seems like things are either easy to do in the H2, or impossible. For example, the H2 scoffs at hills steep enough to make me wimper, and you don't really feel like you've accomplished all that much... But you can bury it in the muddy sloughs that litter the landscape in these parts... and nothing else can make it through either. Its hard to come across that thing that really tests you, but you CAN do. plow into a sod-covered swamp and you're just SOL. well unless your vehicle is light enough to float on the sod, but a Wrangler isn't, and i don't know what would be lighter than that and ready to offroad, they're pretty little.

but i digress

I found some video from a "thai" who i think used to flame H2s on this forum. If its the same thai:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18785

31_bandits
06-06-2006, 12:28 AM
the rubicon makes those stunts look alot easier than the G, but the "driver factor" is certainly at play - it looks like he's being pretty cautious with his high-$$$ 'benz.

DDWH
06-06-2006, 12:44 AM
Tell your buddy to just get an H1:D:cool:

Aubs
06-06-2006, 03:44 AM
I thought the video was cute, that little add for the G-Class.

I'd say they have a narrow stance, and will probably be tipsy, just like I feel that way about Disco's. But yeah, just go buy an H1!

31_bandits
06-06-2006, 02:52 PM
yeah... i'm still thinking of doing that myself, so i don't know if i want to suggest it to him. :D