PDA

View Full Version : Will my spare tire still be useful?

atit2d
06-07-2006, 06:18 PM
I just put larger diameter tires (325/55/22) on my 2006 H2 and I'm not sure if my stock spare is useful anymore.

Will I still be able to 'limp' to the tire shop in case of a flat?

Michael Baker
10-16-2006, 01:47 AM
I am also interested in the answer to this question. Did anyone answer or can anyone help? I would assume that the rear diff can manage different tire sizes.

tomp
10-16-2006, 01:54 AM
I think that's how the cars that come with donuts as spares do it

lotus4s
10-16-2006, 02:58 PM
You will be fine to use it to get to the repair shop. Just don't go cross country with it like that or it'll ruin the diff.

PARAGON
10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
NO!

Just get the damn spare and rotate it in or don't rotate it in, but keep your spare the same size.

I don't know how far off in diameter you are but you don't run unequal sized tires on a full-time 4wd vehicle.

Just do it right and not worry about it.

Michael Baker
10-16-2006, 04:11 PM
I can see that there are some interesting differences of opinion! Buying the same tire (and therefore wheel) for the spare is not such an easy option because of:

a) The extra cost
b) Possible changes in the mounting of the spare on the back of the car.

In my case I cannot mount my 37x13.5 R20 Nitto Mud Grappler on the frame at the back of the car without making some alterations. These alterations would then make it impossible to mount my current spare, which is the same as my every-day tires (LT325/60 R20 Nitto Terra Grappler).

Pardon my rookie ignorance, but is is not the case that, unless the difference in rotational speed causes the TC to think there is slip (and therefore applies brakes to the smaller wheel), the diff should compensate? Of course I will not be able to lock the center diff, or the rear diff....

hmrlvr
10-16-2006, 04:17 PM
I think you need one of these:jump:

http://www.gobiusa.com/images/products/290_large_image.jpg

PARAGON
10-16-2006, 04:57 PM
X2 With an open diff you will be okay to get you where you are going, especially considering as the size difference is not that great. But I wouldn't drive cross country either.

I could swear I read somewhere that the '06s have a limited slip in the rear. Either way, if the OD is more than a couple of inches it is simply easier and makes more sense to have a spare closer to the tires on the ground.

IMO, I don't understand going and buying 22" wheels and tires and then running around with a stock spare on the back. Doesn't make sense to me. What's the point in the 22s then?

timgco
10-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I can see that there are some interesting differences of opinion! Buying the same tire (and therefore wheel) for the spare is not such an easy option because of:

a) The extra cost Are you kidding me? You can afford to buy a 60K truck and expensive rims/ tires but not a fifth?
b) Possible changes in the mounting of the spare on the back of the car.

There arer pleanty of people here that have their 20"/22" spare back there. What "alterations" do you have to do? If it's just the license plate, that's easy and takes less time to move your plate to the bumper with a new light than it does to go to the store and but the $5.00 light.

In my case I cannot mount my 37x13.5 R20 Nitto Mud Grappler on the frame at the back of the car without making some alterations. These alterations would then make it impossible to mount my current spare, which is the same as my every-day tires (LT325/60 R20 Nitto Terra Grappler).

Pardon my rookie ignorance, but is is not the case that, unless the difference in rotational speed causes the TC to think there is slip (and therefore applies brakes to the smaller wheel), the diff should compensate? Of course I will not be able to lock the center diff, or the rear diff.... Get the fifth tire/ wheel, you will ruin your truck.

Michael Baker
10-16-2006, 06:50 PM
What I have is this. I extended out the frame, and have a set of ramps and the highlift jack mounted between the frame and the liftgate.

ASTAR
10-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't run a stock tire with much of a difference in the tire size on the truck. It's a fulltime 4wd vehicle, can't be good for it. I have a safety seal plug kit (can repair almost anything) and factory onboard air. If I get a flat, unless its a big gash, I'll have it fixed and bac on the road in less time than it would take to change the tire.

tomp
10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
What I have is this. I extended out the frame, and have a set of ramps and the highlift jack mounted between the frame and the liftgate.

MB, can you post some detailed pics of what you did in there? Sounds interesting...

timgco
10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
MB, can you post some detailed pics of what you did in there? Sounds interesting...

x2, what did you have to do to make the rim mount. What caused the rim not to mount? I guess I figured the rim would just bolt up there...my bad.
BTW- nice lookin rig.

Michael Baker
10-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Detailed pics - will take some and put them up next week after I go back home this weekend.

Cesardajr
10-19-2006, 08:09 PM
So im now running 37x12.50xR17 on factory wheels and myspare is still a
35x12.50xR17 also on a factory wheel, can i use my spare without having any problems or causing any damage to the diff?