PDA

View Full Version : Satellite ready 6 disc?

mrmayhem
06-14-2006, 05:42 PM
I recently traded my 03 Avalanche for an 03 H2. Both interiors look nearly identical.. and the Stock radios (6 disc bose) are the same (at least looks). The Av had XM built in... The H2 does not from what I can tell. I switch the sources.. and it toggles from AM to FM and CD.
My question is .. can the SIR GM1 be used to add Sirius radio to the stock system? without any serious mods? And other than what I listed above.. is there any other way to tell if the stock radio is sat compatable?
I'm guessing its not.. but i can always keep my fingers crossed.

HummBob
06-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I have NO IDEA:D But congrats on the H2 and welcome;)

f5fstop
06-14-2006, 09:17 PM
you can always add an aftermarket receiver, they are designed to transmit to the radio. You just set the radio at a certain frequency. Or, better yet, hardwire the receiver into the antenna lead.
Usually, if a GM radio is XM capable, when your go through the bands you will received XM station 1, which is an advertisement.

mrmayhem
06-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah.. i thought it would switch to an XM promo channel or something.. but i got nothing. I have looked at aftermarket models (want Sirius this time instead of XM). But wanted to keep the stock look.. didn't want another control panel thing sticking out on my console. I just wanted to integrate it with the stock radio if possible.
Thanks so far.

kodiakz
06-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Sirgm1 will work just fine in your truck.

mrmayhem
06-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Kodiakz... this would work in my truck? Even though the stock radio does not have the typical 'mode' for satellite? If so that is great news!
I know the SirGM1 has the antenna and harnesses to plug into the radio.. I just thought that the radio itself still had to be Sat ready (or is it?)

mrmayhem
06-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Hmmm just got off the phone with the audio installer for the hummer dealer.. he says that the Hummer radio is not satellite ready.
I guess i may be out of luck for the stock integration.

kodiakz
06-16-2006, 03:45 AM
I've never seen an H2 radio that is not sat ready (they have no indication on them that they are), but unless you have some base radio (never seen one in an H2) then you are good to go.

mrmayhem
06-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Well.. it is the Bose set up with the 6 disc in dash. I have the 'band' button (which SirGm1 says is sat ready). But.. there is no indication on the display (am,fm1,fm2,cd).. I think my Av had a Sat indicator..
When the SirGm1's ever do come in stock 'anywhere' I will buy one and see what happens.
Sirius and Directed Electronics Sirgm1 both state that if the GM radio has a Band button.. then it will work.
I am betting that the guy at the dealer had no idea.

Let you all know if and when I can get my hands on a Sirgm1.
Thanks

f5fstop
06-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Send me your VIN number and I'll look up the build history.
Band button does NOT mean the radio is XM capable. Even non-XM radios have at least two FM bands and one AM band to scroll through.Have had a few examples in the past year or two on some of the company cars; last one was in a trailblazer. Band button, but NO XM.
The Duramax truck I was driving last week, had XM, but not turned on, and when I went through the bands and stopped at XM, I was on channel 1, the only one offered, and it was the basic XM advertisement. Call this number and subscribe, etc.
Possibly, these are XM capable, and they don't display the XM info due to no module installed, and they will show XM with a module and a tweak from the tech 2.
As for H2s only coming with XM capable radios, I can't answer that one. I would have assumed it did only come with XM, but after driving a fully loaded trailblazer, with no XM, I'm not sure of anything anymore.:D

NM H3
06-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm waiting on the SIRGM1 too. Last time I contacted Directed they said they now expect it to be available in August. They have pushed the date available out each month since January.

mrmayhem
06-20-2006, 01:53 AM
F5Fstop... 5grgn23u33h101712

I also started to wonder .. if because no module was hooked up that it would not scroll through to sat. The radio could be sat ready... even with no hook up. Cause then I guess it may be XM capable or ready instead of Sat ready radio.
But I think I'm beginning to read too much into it. And crossing my fingers at the same time.
Yes.. the radio has 2 FMs and an AM. Identical to my Av's radio (6 disc and Bose system). I looked on the display with a flashlight and didn't see any other indicator lights on the display.. The AV's display had the potential for MP3 and DVD (unused displays).

kodiakz
06-20-2006, 02:11 AM
If it is a 6 disc in-dash, it is definitely sat ready and you are correct in your assumption that the sat band will not show up unless a tuner is connected. I have an extra Kenwood Sr903 (was a demo unit) and a Soundgate KNGM1 that will work for your setup. PM me if you are interested.

f5fstop
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Again, Trailblazer I was driving had NO XM receiver, and the radio was NOT XM compatible; three bands, two FM, one AM. Duramax truck had the XM module but was not turned on, so I had five bands I believe; two FM, one AM, and two XM.

As for your vehicle, this is directly from the GM Vehicle Information System:
OnStar Equipped Yes OnStar Status Inactive Refer to Help page for details or: www.onstarenrollment.com or (888)ONSTAR1 (888)667-8271

XM Equipped No XM Radio ID N/A XM Status N/A Refer to Help page for details or: www.gm.xmradio.com or (800)556-3600

Radio RPO Code: UC6 - AM/FM IN DASH 6 DISC CD CHANGER

I can't say for sure, but it appears your radio is NOT XM compatible. I was told once, if a radio was XM compatible, it was shipped with the XM module. I would have to assume that it is not XM compatible. Non-XM radios in luxury vehicles was rare, but not unheard of, even today. We just got in a Solstice without Onstar.:D

F5Fstop... 5grgn23u33h101712

I also started to wonder .. if because no module was hooked up that it would not scroll through to sat. The radio could be sat ready... even with no hook up. Cause then I guess it may be XM capable or ready instead of Sat ready radio.
But I think I'm beginning to read too much into it. And crossing my fingers at the same time.
Yes.. the radio has 2 FMs and an AM. Identical to my Av's radio (6 disc and Bose system). I looked on the display with a flashlight and didn't see any other indicator lights on the display.. The AV's display had the potential for MP3 and DVD (unused displays).

rangerross
06-21-2006, 04:12 AM
I just recently traded my one year old H3 for a new 2006 H2. The H2 came with the AM/FM IN DASH 6 DISC CD CHANGER without XM. The radio only had 3 bands showing; 2 FM and 1 AM. I had the XM module added at the dealership yesterday afternoon. Once the module was installed the XM bands became visible.

I don't know if other model years are different, but the 2006 does come with a XM capable AM/FM IN DASH 6 DISC CD CHANGER - at least in my case it did.:)

mrmayhem
06-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Thanks for all your help..
Kodiakz.. how much and I am assuming that would work with my factory.. and does the display show on the radio as well? And would I still need to get an antenna or you have one?

Lemme know!

kodiakz
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
mayhem, that would be a complete kit (again, the 903 and antenna were in a demo unit for a few months, but are in perfect condition), and the display will show all sirius info. The radio will think that it is receiving xm info and will show up as xm1, xm2, and xm3.

mrmayhem
06-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Great... now i think i'm back to square 1 again.
anyways.. what would it take to steal that from you and give it a shot?