View Full Version : Colorado Wheeling

CslRkH2
06-15-2006, 03:22 AM
Anyone want to hit a trail soon? Some trail suggestions:

Spring Creek
Wheeler Lake
China Wall
A Camping trip to the Great Sand Dunes / Medano Pass Trail
What about the weekend of July 8th? Let's get something on the calendar!!

HummBebe
06-15-2006, 03:30 AM
C-man is Jonesing:D:D:D:D:D

Aubs
06-15-2006, 04:10 AM
How about coming out towards the middle a bit more, like something in Breck, or Buena Vista. Maybe Mount Antero/Baldwin Lakes or something else that's more challenging like Chinaman Gluch? (I think that's the not-quite-suicidal one)

CslRkH2
06-15-2006, 04:26 AM
C-man is Jonesing:D:D:D:D

TRUE! :D

CslRkH2
06-15-2006, 04:27 AM
How about coming out towards the middle a bit more, like something in Breck, or Buena Vista. Maybe Mount Antero/Baldwin Lakes or something else that's more challenging like Chinaman Gluch? (I think that's the not-quite-suicidal one)

Spring Creek is close to the Divide and Wheeler Lake is near Breck. Not challenging enough?

Aubs
06-15-2006, 04:29 AM
Spring Creek is close to the Divide. Not challenging enough?

Oh, I think it's plenty challenging. I just heard it was 'busy' on weekends. I think tomorrow I'm going to go somewhere. I want to camp out a few nights. I have the car loaded, but no where to go...:rolleyes:

I must look up where Wheeler Lakes is. I was confused. For a moment. As always.

Aubs
06-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Actually, Wheeler looks like a lot of fun...

CO Hummer
06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Actually, Wheeler looks like a lot of fun...

I did wheeler last year. It's not bad, great views. But if you're timid about scratches, bring the tape. The trails is about 4 inches narrower than the H2 for a long stretch.

Aubs
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I did wheeler last year. It's not bad, great views. But if you're timid about scratches, bring the tape. The trails is about 4 inches narrower than the H2 for a long stretch.

Yay, narrowness! :rolleyes:

BlueTJCO
06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
so are you pansy asses going to go somewhere or are you all going to just talk about it as usual?

I am game for Saturday and I'm game for just about any trail that is fairly close. Wheeler would rock.....Spring Creek will be very busy.......

Twin Cone is another one that is awesome and Red Cone is open to the top. The only problem is there is no way back out except UP if you come down the face and that is off-limits and I'm sure damn scarry:eek:

BlueTJCO
06-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I can probably do something on Saturday.

Twin Cone would be fun.......so would Wheeler Lake but I dont know if we can get to the lake yet......???

Spring Creek will be packed so I dont think we should run it. That would be a fun one to run during the week sometime...

Aubs
06-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Twin Cone would be fun.......so would Wheeler Lake but I dont know if we can get to the lake yet......???

Spring Creek will be packed so I dont think we should run it. That would be a fun one to run during the week sometime...

Well, you're going to be surprised when you hear this...

I WENT TO WHEELER LAKES TODAY!!!! :D I stopped and turned around at the V in the interest of self preservation. The trail is kinda narrow, but it's mostly soft stuff, and not hard scratchy wood. I almost...almost got high centered on the obstacle right beyond the overhead mine. On the way up, I scraped just a bit and forgot to remember my line. On the way down, I scraped the undercarriage protection, and put a scrape on the skid plate. Otherwise, it was ok. It seems like the ladder-protection might have pushed up into the muffler a little bit, but it's not bent looking, so I suppose the muffler was always there. Anyway, it was pretty fun. I would like to go again with a group for spotting and experience, and get past the V. I have never scraped before on anything, so that's why it was a bit unnerving.

BTW a boyscout group or something was watching the scraping obstacle, and found it incredibly entertaining. The counselors were overjoyed as well.

I also figured out why a Hummer's armor, approach, departure, and breakover angles are so important. I would have probably destroyed anything else.

Now you can comment on how much of a moron I am Mooncricket.

Aubs
06-16-2006, 01:29 AM
It looked doable, but with just me and no spotters, I would have destroyed something... :D

And my WiFi connection doesn't like your video. It's buffering like 2% every minute.

Aubs
06-16-2006, 01:42 AM
I was looking at the pics on traildamage, and nothing really looks familiar, except the overhead mine, and the V. Are there two routes?

I don't remember going over anything like this: At least, I mean I wasn't lifting a wheel way up like that.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/wheeler_lake/030726/bill_on_the_first_obstacle_part_2.jpg

Aubs
06-16-2006, 02:13 AM
I think this was the easy line. Shaggy is in every Hummer picture since the beginning of time (this was 3 years ago) and I was on the phone ;)

Haha. Shaggy is everywhere. He's been leeching off us for years. :D

Well, this would be a fun trip. It is clear of snow if anyone wants to go on Saturday. Are there any other trails in the Montezuma area that you would like me to check out tomorrow? To see if they're not snowcovered anymore?

CslRkH2
06-16-2006, 02:25 AM
Before we carried spares ;)

Adam's truck looks so shiny! :D :D

I may be able to go this Saturday, the earlier the better for me

CslRkH2
06-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Haha. Shaggy is everywhere. He's been leeching off us for years. :D

Well, this would be a fun trip. It is clear of snow if anyone wants to go on Saturday. Are there any other trails in the Montezuma area that you would like me to check out tomorrow? To see if they're not snowcovered anymore?

Can you run Holy Cross to see if there's any snow?

CslRkH2
06-16-2006, 03:18 AM
We have to do that this year but during the week because it gets busy.

I can do Saturday and Wheeler sounds good to me since Adam blocked the trail last time and I never saw the friggin lake ;)

I agree, if we can get past that first obstacle with the tree then it should be doable.

Aubs - I was kidding, you should not run Holy Cross alone from what I have read. Unless you want to throw caution to the wind... :D

ShaggyX
06-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Wheeler is by Motezuma? Motezuma is where Webster and Red Cone passes are. Also Radical Hill.

Aubs
06-16-2006, 03:37 AM
Aubs - I was kidding, you should not run Holy Cross alone from what I have read. Unless you want to throw caution to the wind... :D

Oh, really? I was all set up to go...:p I have seen the pictures, and I realize that I would not be able to do that alone. I have far too little experience. In fact, I'm friggin' surprised I managed what I did today without damaging anything important...

So I could probably meet you guys at the parking lot on the way back around the reservoir. Or try to catch you as you come into Breck and join the convoy.

ShaggyX
06-16-2006, 03:44 AM
I would like to go...but I actually have plans for once. Next time.

NoMoGMPG
06-16-2006, 03:00 PM
That's new ;)

Ok so who else?

I'll try to make it, if that's alright. I'll probably need a head start since I can't go as fast as you gassers. ;)

BlueTJCO
06-16-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm game. I'm In. I have NEVER RAN THIS TRAIL............and I want to

BlueTJCO
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
OK, so I just read a FEW trip reports on wheeler. It is only 3/4 the way open and they are claiming only "very well equipped" rigs will make it that far and not really anyone is getting to the lake yet.

We could run TWIN CONE.....??? It is in the same general vicinity kinda and is a fun trail...............

I just dont think we should drive to wheeler lake if it is not open to the top.

CslRkH2
06-16-2006, 11:19 PM
OK, so I just read a FEW trip reports on wheeler. It is only 3/4 the way open and they are claiming only "very well equipped" rigs will make it that far and not really anyone is getting to the lake yet.

We could run TWIN CONE.....??? It is in the same general vicinity kinda and is a fun trail...............

I just dont think we should drive to wheeler lake if it is not open to the top.

Aubs was just there this week and made it all the way to the last obstacle????

Aubs
06-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Aubs was just there this week and made it all the way to the last obstacle????

Well, I thought the V was the last obstacle. Apparently, it's not quite all the way? I suspect that the trail is open most of the way, as a lot of the trails in that area have cleared. On the Breckenridge side, there is still too much snow on all the trails.

I would say that we should be able to make it up all obstacles, however the V will obviously need a spotter. If it is shut, there are plenty of other places to go nearby.

Aubs
06-17-2006, 02:34 AM
I think it's about 2 miles from the V the the lake. Twin cone sounds like a good alternative but snow bashing Wheeler sounds fun too (it's not cliffy ;))

Yes, I like the sound of that. I really don't think there will be too much snow, but I have been wrong before!! :D So just bring a shovel you sissies.

Hey, what time/where should I meet you, seeing that I'm on the way there?

Aubs
06-17-2006, 02:48 AM
OK, so I just read a FEW trip reports on wheeler. It is only 3/4 the way open and they are claiming only "HUMMERS" will make it that far and not really anyone is getting to the lake yet.

I just dont think we should drive to wheeler lake if it is not open to the top because I am a sissy girl, and I am afraid my 'equipment' isn't large enough. And I have a Jeep.

:D :p

Aubs
06-17-2006, 02:49 AM
I have to go out side and air up. I was really lazy after Eagle Rock and drove home 70 miles on 20 PSI and havent driven it since. Someone suggest a time and I’ll be there :D

I would be happy to meet at the top of Hoosier Pass at 9am. That's about a mile or two from where you go back to get to Wheeler, so no matter what direction you come from, it's probably a good place.

Aubs
06-17-2006, 03:46 AM
OK I am aired up. Wheeler Lake or Twin Cone? Call me 918-6167 :D

Well, I'd rather do Wheeler, just because Twin Cone is about 2 hours away..:(

CslRkH2
06-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Looks like us 2 Aubs and the rest will have excuses. Call me on my cell. I plan to leave South Denver at like 8ish. OK?

303-918-6167

I'll be there. Want to meet in the DTC Alec? Orchard & 25 at the Shell on the west side of the interstate @ 0800?????

I vote for Wheeler Lake...

BlueTJCO
06-17-2006, 05:50 AM
I think I am going to make it.....

I will meet you both at the above mentioned gas station in the morning if that is where you are meeting.

I wont know until the morning but I'm 70% in as of now

Aubs
06-17-2006, 06:33 AM
I was out until now. I will try to be around the Hoosier Pass at 9am. I PM'd my Cell..

BlueTJCO
06-17-2006, 05:02 PM
well Molly is sick......very sick...........and I was hoping that her temp would have gone down but it didn't and I think it's best if I just stick around myself.

We will get together next weeked

NoMoGMPG
06-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I hope you guys check here before you leave. Apparently I had other plans that I didn't know about so I can't make it.

Bastidge! :mad: I was calling you on the CB and your cell, I thought I had missed the boat until I finally reached CslRkH2 in Breck.:mad:

Well, anyway, WE had a good time.:D

Aubs
06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Bastidge! :mad: I was calling you on the CB and your cell, I thought I had missed the boat until I finally reached CslRkH2 in Breck.:mad:

Well, anyway, WE had a good time.:D

Yes, a VERY GOOD time!:D

Aubs
06-18-2006, 05:31 AM
Sorry I forgot to ask "her indoors" first and we had plans that I didn't listen too I guess.

Now post pics ;)

Yes, pics! You're going to wish you had been able to come Alec. NoMo did some awesome stuff on the way down.

Aubs
06-18-2006, 05:39 AM
Hahaha, did you have to strap him off something ;)

Hahaha. Actually, no, he didn't get hung up. I was the only one out of the three of us (having a totally stock H2) that scraped anything. And even then, I can't really tell, but I could hear it. I definately could have used bigger tires/air suspension.

Aubs
06-18-2006, 04:51 PM
So how do you post pictures on this forum? I uploaded them to PutFile but me no figure out

Right click on the image in PutFile. Then go to properties. You should see the URL ends in JPG. Then you can paste that into the IMG function on here. Make sure you right click on the full size image, and not a thumbnail, otherwise the thumbnails will appear. You can post 5 pictures in each post before the system gets angry.

http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811434834.jpg

CslRkH2
06-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Aubs Going Up:
http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811324667.jpg

Aubs
http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811341446.jpg

Aubs Coming Down
http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811332166.jpg

CslRkH2
06-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Lots of small water crossing and LOTS of tight brush

http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811414485.jpg

Aubs
06-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Yay! Pictures! I look so damn serious in that one...

CslRkH2
06-18-2006, 05:37 PM
NoMo taking the more difficult line going up
http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811352533.jpg

NoMo Starting Down...as always pictures never do it justice but this was pretty wicked with serious risk of carnage
http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811362643.jpg

NoMo Side Shot
http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811384818.jpg

NoMo Rear View
http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811394519.jpg

CslRkH2
06-18-2006, 05:38 PM
And I finally figured out why I was craving fries the whole day...:D :D

http://f5.putfile.com/6/16811314979.jpg

Aubs
06-18-2006, 05:45 PM
CslRkH2, we'll have to get some pictures of you next time. Really awesome pictures though.

CslRkH2
06-18-2006, 05:49 PM
It was a fun trip. The top was blocked by snow so we did not get to the final obstacle or the Lake. We did watch a buggy and a couple highly modded Jeeps make it across the ~200 yard snow field. They were bouncing, sliding sideways, almost rolling, etc so we decided to call it a day and turn back.

NoMoGMPG
06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
It was a fun trip. The top was blocked by snow so we did not get to the final obstacle or the Lake. We did watch a buggy and a couple highly modded Jeeps make it across the ~200 yard snow field. They were bouncing, sliding sideways, almost rolling, etc so we decided to call it a day and turn back.

Not to mention, those guys were drunk off their asses! Unfortunately, we would have broken through the ice pack and it wouldn't have been pretty to have 4 tons sitting on its bellypan.;) It was the right decision.