PDA

View Full Version : Roof Cargo Carrier

Jeff B
06-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Anyone have experience with using a hard or soft roof cargo carrier? I wanted to put my camping gear (sleeping bags, tent, mats, jackets) on the roof for those trips with the family. My cooler, tools, inflator, parts, etc already fill the back cargo area. A permanant roof rack is not an option for me due to clearance issues and the cost of the low-profile Gobi rack.

Suggestions welcome and let me know if you have one to sell in the Southern California area.

wingnut2u
07-06-2006, 04:49 AM
bump

hmrlvr
07-06-2006, 06:39 AM
I've used the hard box through rain, snow, and temps. over 110. Never a leak and works great. I recommend the Thule, or other off brand, much less expensive

GeorgeSSSS
07-08-2006, 12:38 PM
A few years ago I went to Target and bought an off-the-shelf soft carrier, filled it with clothing, and put it on the roof of my then 4XSUV. Drove through rain and snow and everything stayed dry. We got home and I folded it up, put it in the original box, and put it on a shelf in the garage.

Nothing fancy, but it was cheap, it worked, and it's still sitting on the shelf in my garage. Hope this helps.

George SSSS

mbdougl
07-11-2006, 03:30 AM
I got this Thule for around $280 and it did the job, I even had room to keep the spare in . A bigger one would be better though, go with the Hummer one it looks alot longer.