PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing new Trailing Arms

tomp
06-22-2006, 03:17 AM
Do I need to drop the gas tank protection to get the bolts out of the trailing arm on the drivers side?

Are the trailing arms under tension, where things will move once I remove the stock ones? What is the best way to keep things aligned so the new arms bolt right up?

cestwick
06-22-2006, 04:26 AM
Yes you have to lower the back of tank protection to get front bolt out. I have never had much trouble getting back in with a little prying the rear end foward. I have never done this except on a hoist....If you do one side at a time the rear end can't move much...

tomp
06-23-2006, 05:36 AM
What a job this turned out to be. Sleeves inside of trailing arm bushings were too small. Had to buy round stock with same external diameter and 5/8" internal. Now I am having a hard time getting the bolt started back in due to it hitting the gas tank. Had to stop for the night as I am sure the neighbors were mad from the banging noises.

KenP
06-23-2006, 05:43 AM
What kind did you get so I can avoid them?

tomp
06-23-2006, 05:51 AM
You don't have to worry, as they are SMA's. Got'em new on ebay for $200. Real nice, except for the sleeves. It was an easy fix once I found the right size pipe.

It's possible that my gas tank may hold less gas after I dent the darn thing in the morning trying to get the bolt in:o

KenP
06-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Dee-am...