PDA

View Full Version : Onstar Compatible with XM or DVD Players

prplprowlr
07-27-2003, 06:41 PM
I know these questions has probably been asked before but I coulnd't find the answer I wanted. I have a few and want to make sure I get them right.
1.If I add an aftermarket radio I know the steering wheel controls are no longer useful unless you get the device to make it work but does it affect onstar?
2.If I add the DVD/Headrest kit from SMA does it affect my steering wheels controls or onstar?
3.If I decide to add Just the Pioneer XM Radion that uses the FM Modulator will that affect my steering wheel controls or onstar?
I know these are lots of questions but I know several of you out there of helping me answer these questions. I really want to add some aftermarket items but don't want to lose some of the factory options. I am really leaning towards the headrest monitors and the XM Radion adapter and was hoping it would not affect Onstar or Steering Controls.
Thanks Guys
4. Just thought of one more question. I thought about moving my Onstar unit somewhere else and wanted to know how hard it was. I was thinking of mounting my xm radion unit there or a flip out dvd screen.

[This message was edited by prplprowlr on 07-27-03 at 01:54 PM.]

prplprowlr
07-27-2003, 06:41 PM
I know these questions has probably been asked before but I coulnd't find the answer I wanted. I have a few and want to make sure I get them right.
1.If I add an aftermarket radio I know the steering wheel controls are no longer useful unless you get the device to make it work but does it affect onstar?
2.If I add the DVD/Headrest kit from SMA does it affect my steering wheels controls or onstar?
3.If I decide to add Just the Pioneer XM Radion that uses the FM Modulator will that affect my steering wheel controls or onstar?
I know these are lots of questions but I know several of you out there of helping me answer these questions. I really want to add some aftermarket items but don't want to lose some of the factory options. I am really leaning towards the headrest monitors and the XM Radion adapter and was hoping it would not affect Onstar or Steering Controls.
Thanks Guys
4. Just thought of one more question. I thought about moving my Onstar unit somewhere else and wanted to know how hard it was. I was thinking of mounting my xm radion unit there or a flip out dvd screen.

[This message was edited by prplprowlr on 07-27-03 at 01:54 PM.]

TouchdownTN
07-28-2003, 02:58 PM
1. Yes it will affect Onstar. You can either move the whole OEM head unit or there is a board in the head unit that can be pulled. There also are companies that make interfaces to keep the onstar just like to keep the steering wheel controls. Do a search for PAC interfaces on the forum. They are also working on a interface to add a aux input (XM, DVD, Etc.) to the OEM head unit.
2. Shouldn't as long as OEM head unit is left installed
3. Shouldn't bother the Steering wheel controls but they won't control the XM unit.
4. Don't know how hard this is but shouldn't be a problem for an experienced installer used to working on GM autos.

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options and Brush Guard Lights. Go Vols!!!

prplprowlr
07-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I am wanting to make a decision in the next week or so and this is very helpful, I am also highly interested in this PAC unit you was talking about as well. Anyway thanks again.

Pewter,Lux,Air Ride,Sunroof
Hopefully adding Monitors and XM/DVD Unit

Buckeye Hummer
07-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Purple Prowler, FYI, I researched satellite radio last year and decided to go with Sirius over XM. Reason 1: XM does have some commercials on the music stations; Sirius is commercial-free. Reason 2: Satellite reception is better with Sirius (based on my tech's experience and that of numerous articles I have read).

My Sirius sattelite radio was hard-wired into the factory unit. The steering wheel volume does indeed work. The only slight problem we had was when the key is turned off typically a cd or regular radio would continue to play until the door is opened. The sat. radio turns off when the key is turned to off. This is minor but something you should know. I have been very pleased with Sirius so you may want to give them consideration. Here is a pic of the unit, which is double stuck (not drilled). I use my remote to change the stations.

prplprowlr
07-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the information I will consider it. That looks good and you said it was hard wired into your Factory HEad Unit? What does that mean and did it affect your Onstar?