PDA

View Full Version : Question for Techs

Racer-X
06-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I got my truck back yesterday and I'm reading the list of parts replaced. One of the items is "transmission assembly" - would that include the torque converter or is there a chance they drained and flushed the old one?

I have a call into my dealerships service dept but the service writer on my case is on vacation and for some reason she is the only one that can answer that question. :rolleyes:

Racer-X
06-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, as you know the radiator blew into the tranny cooler. I then drove it some 30 miles AFTER I felt symptoms and probably about 200 miles after it happened. This fried the tranny to the point GMPP opted to replace it.

I don't have the paper work in front of me but a few things on the list of things changed.

Transmission assembly
Radiator
Overflow tank
All hoses (including the ones to the heater core).
clamps

Cooling system was then flushed and filled. It's very obvious to me that all of the work on the list was done. Tranny is sparkling clean as are radiator and hoses etc. Fluids are clean and free of cross contamination.

Also as you know this is the second time this has happened, at this rate I'll never have to change my fluid. :rolleyes:

The reason I'm wondering if the torque converter was changed is from what I've heard, there are some kind of fins inside of it that break off. When that happens the fluid super heats and when it finally reaches the radiator, it blows the tranny chamber into the coolant.

This is the reason you never see the temp raise on your tranny before it happens. The tranny gauge never budged and I checked it often when I began having trouble.

Racer-X
06-28-2006, 08:20 PM
p.s. warranty work so there is no price to give an indication if the converter was changed.

HUMTECH
06-29-2006, 07:03 PM
All replacement Transmissions come with A new torque converter installed

Racer-X
06-29-2006, 11:21 PM
All replacement Transmissions come with A new torque converter installed

Thanks for your reply Humtech - I just heard the same thing from my dealership. New torque converter installed and tranny is fluid filled from the factory.

They also said the fin breakage issue has been corrected and so has the radiator. Do you know anything about that?

HUMTECH
06-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Have not seen any issues with torque converter failures so I am not aware of them being problematic as for the cooler in the rad, I think they have updated the part, but again not A widespread problem. You may have just been real unlucky to end up with 2 bad ones, maybe the first replacement rad was of old stock, should be good this time around.