PDA

View Full Version : Help with shocks

BKLYNH2
05-18-2004, 02:31 AM
My front shocks are beat. They are leaking and I need to replace them. Was considering the edelbrock xtreme travel shocks. Here's where the confusion comes in. I had my local garage guy measure the stock shock fully extended it is 18 7/8 bolt hole to bolt hole. The edelbrock xtreme travel shock for a stock H2 was listed on some sites as having an extended length of 15.91 inches. Not only does this not sound like "xtreme travel" it does not sound like enough travel. Does anyone out there know about these shocks? Am I missing something? Can I go ahead and order them? I need to do something soon.

BKLYNH2
My front shocks are beat. They are leaking and I need to replace them. Was considering the edelbrock xtreme travel shocks. Here's where the confusion comes in. I had my local garage guy measure the stock shock fully extended it is 18 7/8 bolt hole to bolt hole. The edelbrock xtreme travel shock for a stock H2 was listed on some sites as having an extended length of 15.91 inches. Not only does this not sound like "xtreme travel" it does not sound like enough travel. Does anyone out there know about these shocks? Am I missing something? Can I go ahead and order them? I need to do something soon.

BKLYNH2

Hummie2
05-18-2004, 07:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Am I missing something? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like your "local garage guy" might be missing some knowledge on measuring stud mount shocks.

Just measured a stock H2 front shock and it was 15 1/2" from the center of the lower eye to the bottom of the lower flat washer on the top mount with the shock off the vehicle and fully extended. The only way I could come up with come up with 18 7/8" was from center of lower eye to tip of upper stud. Stud length will vary between different brands of shocks and it only needs to be long enough to get the nut started on the threads to start compressing the rubber mounting bushings. DO NOT over tighten the upper mount - stop tightening once the rubber bushings squeeze to the same OD as the metal flat washers.

No experience with the Edelbrocks, but sounds like 15.91" should should be the proper length. The shocks aren't what limits the front suspension extension anyway. There is a stop that contacts the upper control arm when the suspension is at full extension (look beneath the rear pivot bolt on the upper control arm and you will see it welded to the frame).
The rears are a different story though. They are the extension stop for the rear suspension. Break a rear shock and you could pop a spring out of it's seat if the rear suspension were to over extend.

BKLYNH2
05-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I placed my order looks like I'll be able to go wheeling this weekend.

timgco
05-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey great! Let me know how that works out for you. I have a bad shock in front and am thinking of getting the same shocks you just ordered. How much did you get them for?

BKLYNH2
05-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Okay got the edelbrocks on last Friday and hit trails at Paragon on Saturday as well as having a week of driving on them. I have to say this was a great upgrade thse shocks are significantly different from stock. The best description I can give is that they handle different terrain quite differently. Whereas the stock shocks are fairly consistent in ride on whatever terrain or speed these react differently going quickly over small stuff than they do crawling over more exagerated terrain. I got for 163.00$ apiece and think it was definitely worth it. And yes the guy measured wrong for the shock as you said Hummie2. Thanks for the help.

timgco
05-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I am ordering mine today. I am also going to upgrade my steering stabilizer. 4 Wheele Parts is going to do the work. Did you get the mounting system for the resevoir or did you just mount them to the fneder well?

BKLYNH2
05-30-2004, 08:28 PM
To the fenderwall. I think the front has to be done that way. The shocks come with the components to do that.