PDA

View Full Version : OEM Spare Tire Carrier Question

donandmm
05-01-2006, 07:31 PM
I have a 2005 H2 SUV. I bought an OEM external spare tire carrier from eBay. On the right side "hinge", there are 3 hinge anchor bolt points (not just 2 by the tow hook). Can this tire carrier be used on my H2? If so, how?

DDWH
05-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Sounds like the 06 version. I don't see why it can't be used. You will have to drill and tap that third hole. You might want to do a mock up mount minus drilling any hole(s) to insure you will get a proper fit. Did they include all the mounting hardware also?

donandmm
05-01-2006, 08:13 PM
As best as I can tell, yes. I'm not sure whether there is anything behind the bumper strong enough to hold the extra 3rd bolt hole.

DDWH
05-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Might want to roll by your local dealer and crawl under an 06 and see what that 3rd bolt ties into.

Fastest H-Town Realtor
05-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Been there, done that-The 3rd hole needs to be drilled to accept a bolt that measures 12 MM. Buy a M12X40 with a 1.75 thread, 10.9 hardened stuff, throw in a washer and a nut of same hardness. Nothing is behind the bumper there, so add the nut. Also, while your under the truck, find the hole already in the bumper to pass the light wires thru if you go with plate on the spare.

cestwick
05-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by donandmm:
I have a 2005 H2 SUV. I bought an OEM external spare tire carrier from eBay. On the right side "hinge", there are 3 hinge anchor bolt points (not just 2 by the tow hook). Can this tire carrier be used on my H2? If so, how?

The 2 main holes are for mounting to tow hook location and the third is to help keep the carrier from sagging from the weight of the tire. The first version was an SMA model that had 2 smaller bolts under the tow hook you had to drill and tap to help sag but didn't work very well. All you have to do is drill the hole and put a bolt and nut in that hole through the bumper.

kauaiboy
05-19-2006, 04:22 AM
aloha...here is an 06 H2 SUV rear look like without the spare tire carrier...i took mines off coz i like the look without...