PDA

View Full Version : Durangoans not hip on Hummers

f5fstop
08-06-2006, 05:18 PM
THE DURANGO HERALD
Vehicle damage, nasty notes give visitors bad taste

August 6, 2006
By Thomas Munro | Herald Staff Writer

In many parts of the country, Hummer drivers get a thumbs- up from onlookers excited to see their enormous tank-like vehicles.

In Durango, another finger tends to get raised.

"Of all the places I've been, Durango, Colorado, appears to have some of the strongest anti-Hummer feeling," said Dave Breggin, president of the Colorado Hummer Club.

Breggin has traveled around the country for National Hummer Club events, including six or seven trips to Durango for an annual event.

"There are some times when I'll be driving in Boulder and I'll get crusty looks," Breggin said. "But last year or the year before, we had someone on the hotel grounds (in Durango) proselytizing about our vehicles."

Demonstrations of distaste for the vehicle in the Durango area have recently gone beyond obscene gestures and angry words. There were three separate cases of Hummer vandalism in the area in July alone.

Joe Aguilar, 23, an owner of the pickup-like Hummer H2 SUT, was accustomed to middle fingers and name-calling after owning his black-and-chrome truck for five months.

"I get stuff just about every time I drive it," Aguilera said. "It doesn't really bother me."

But when he parked the truck at his apartment complex at 1 a.m. Saturday, July 22, he wasn't prepared for the damage he would discover when he awoke. The high-riding Hummer was leaning precariously on the rims of two flat slashed tires. The slasher has not been identified, and Aguilera has replaced the tires at a cost of $1,000.

On July 1, a man visiting Tamarron Resort encountered a similar surprise. Three of four tires on his Hummer were punctured, at a cost of $700 each.

William Henry Evans, 56, of Glenwood Springs, was arrested on suspicion of felony criminal mischief for what police called "a random act."

On July 28, Lawrence Goudy, visiting from Texas, rented a Hummer in Albuquerque and drove it to Durango. He discovered it "keyed," with a message on the windshield.

"You are un-American," read the message. "Why do you feel like you have to drive a car with such bad mileage? Are you going to war? (Expletive) you. Global warming is a problem."

The massive Humvee, which became widely recognizable after being used by the military to quickly cross difficult terrain in the Persian Gulf War, inspired the Hummer H1, an ultra-luxury vehicle with sticker prices in the $150,000 region. This was followed by the slightly scaled-down Hummer H2, briefly popular enough to be seen by many as the symbol of all that is wrong with the American auto industry. While H2 sales have been declining, perhaps in response to increasing gas prices, sales of its successor, the still-more-SUV-like H3, have been the one bright spot for General Motors over the first few months of 2006.

Breggin, who drives an H1, said it was with the 2003 advent of the H2 that organized protest and vandalism of Hummers began. On the lighter side, a Web site has emerged showing thousands of snapshots of people flipping the bird at Hummers. Some Web sites sell "violation" tickets for Hummers outlining their environmental impact.

Somewhat more dangerously, activists in Europe, finding what they believe is a loophole in the law, have been letting the air out of Hummer tires and escaping prosecution because the air has no monetary value. Some in the United States have gone beyond even one-off vandalism, as in the 2003 "eco-terrorism" incident in West Covina, Calif., in which arson fires gutted a parts warehouse and destroyed 20 H2s.

"If I don't like something about your lifestyle or your attitude, does that make it right to vandalize your property?" Breggin asked.

Aguilar said he purchased his H2 because he likes going over difficult terrain on off-road trips.

"I use it," Aguilar said. "I actually use it."

Breggin said the vast majority of those involved in Hummer clubs like to go "off-highway" and "are very conscious of the environment and try to minimize our impact on it." He said he is nearly a vegetarian and has a super-insulated house.

"Isn't there some way I could get credit for some of that?" Breggin asked.

http://durangoherald.com/news/06/images/news060806_4a.jpg
Lawrence Goudy of Texas found his Hummer "keyed" while visiting Durango on July 28. He also found a message on the vehicle that read: "You are un-American. Why do you feel like you have to drive a car with such bad mileage? Are you going to war? (Expletive) you. Global warming is a problem."
Dave Breggin president,Colorado Hummer Club
"Of all the places I’ve been, Durango, Colorado, appears to have some of the strongest anti-Hummer feeling."

fourfourto
08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
F5 I guess you know first hand.Hope you catch the fu*ks who got your tires.

If I catch someone fu*kin with my hummer I will go off on them bigtime :mad: :eek: I know you will shoot them :D

Did insurance cover your tires ?
Did you get 2 or 4

Steve - SanJose
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Since when was my H3 an enormous tank like vehicle?

S.

HummBebe
08-06-2006, 05:48 PM
These people should be charged with Terrorism. Anything that keeps us from being free under the threat of violence or property damage/destruction....is terrorism.

dеiтайожни
08-06-2006, 05:52 PM
These people should be charged with Terrorism. Anything that keeps us from being free under the threat of violence or property damage/destruction....is terrorism.

x2

The Green Lantern
08-06-2006, 05:56 PM
TARGET: Durango, Colorado

HummBebe
08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Here's the really clever thing, the slashed tires are useless and will probably end up in a land fill causing more pollution of the environment. These enviro fanatics are actually creating additional pollution by their actions :confused:
Excellent point, slashing a new tire versus one that is old, will just increase the time it takes to degrade by oh, 20,000 years:)

jtoma btw

DDWH
08-06-2006, 09:40 PM
x2

X3! damn bastids!

f5fstop
08-06-2006, 11:09 PM
F5 I guess you know first hand.Hope you catch the fu*ks who got your tires.

If I catch someone fu*kin with my hummer I will go off on them bigtime :mad: :eek: I know you will shoot them :D

Did insurance cover your tires ?
Did you get 2 or 4

Actually, mine was not Hummer related, they got quite a few in the neighborhood, VUEs, Fords, Toyota, etc. No rhyme nor reason, just random vandalism; no meaning to what they did.
If they should come at me with the knife in the hand, I would assume they are threatening my life, so to protect my life, I would have to shoot.

Donkey_Kong
08-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Since when was my H3 an enormous tank like vehicle?

S.

I think it was referring to H2s and H1s.

Again you H3ers should keep your fantasies in check with your lower class Hummers. Stay in your problem plagued topics in the H3 section.

ETD
08-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Ah ha. I was wondering who ripped my "Terrapass" sticker in half off my corner fender :mad: I didn't get any looks or love notes when I was in Durango. I thought they appreciated my H3 for it's prowess on the mountains. When I got to Ouray the next day, I saw that the sticker was ripped. I guess they didn't like my "green" sticker, either:D . That seems incongruous to me as it takes a ton of gas to travel around the Rockies no matter whether you are driving a Prius or an H3. Also they host the largest Jeep Jamborees around there. Last time, I checked those modified vehicles with monster tires are not exactly gasoline aversed :confused: I bet it is the Jeepsters again not wanting us to invade their off-road territories ;)

HummBebe
08-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Again you H3ers should keep your fantasies in check with your lower class Hummers. Stay in your problem plagued topics in the H3 section.
Elcova News Flash:

Hummbebe, Queen of the Threebies, kills Donkey Kong, Enemy One of all Threebies..........:D

She was quoted as saying:

"I felt my life was in imminent danger officer, and I will co-operate fully with your investigation. But I'm so shook up right now and would like to speak to my attorney." ;)
Elcova is NOW at peace.:D:D:D Donkey Kong is Dead

Donkey_Kong
08-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Fantastic fantasy.:rolleyes: I stand corrected. I guess next you're going to tell us you're 110 lb, 5'8", hottie? Nothing but lies from you. Where the hell is Frankenstein when you need him?

f5fstop
08-07-2006, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't just assume it, I'd take it for a fact. Someone coming at you with a knife does not mean you well ;)

Rehearse this line, "I felt my life was in imminent danger officer, and I will co-operate fully with your investigation. But I'm so shook up right now and would like to speak to my attorney." ;)

Believe me when I say, I know what, and what not to say to a police officer (in this case it would be a deputy) responding to a shooting.:D And there would be nothing said other than my name, address, phone number and I want my attorney present prior to answering any questions.

Most people after a shooting are too shook up to make any clear statements; however, those unclear statements can be held against you in a court of law. So, it is best to keep you mouth completely closed except for identification which includes verbal as well as paper if required. It would be too easy for someone in that situation to have memorized "I felt my life..." and get is screwed up by saying, "I thought my life...". So, in reality, it is best not to say anything that might be misconstrued and held against you; other than your name, address, phone number, and I want my attorney present.
If you really want to keep the officer away until after the attorney arrives, tell them you are experiencing chest pains; which is not that uncommon for someone after a shooting. Doesn't mean a heart attack, usually anxiety, but the police won't take the chance (hopefully) and summon an ambulance for you, and to continue to question someone in physical duress is usually a no-no; even for the nastiest law enforcement officer.
I believe I remember all the ins and outs of what and what not to do if I am ever again involved in a legal self-defense shooting; even if I am a civilian now.:D

Steve - SanJose
08-07-2006, 02:11 AM
And DK is back from the dead?...

S.

KenP
08-07-2006, 04:07 AM
The slasher has not been identified, and Aguilera has replaced the tires at a cost of $1,000.

On July 1, a man visiting Tamarron Resort encountered a similar surprise. Three of four tires on his Hummer were punctured, at a cost of $700 each.
Expensive damn tires!!!

HummBebe
08-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Fantastic fantasy.:rolleyes: I stand corrected. I guess next you're going to tell us you're 110 lb, 5'8", hottie? Nothing but lies from you. Where the hell is Frankenstein when you need him?

You are such an e-badass, I bet you make your Momma proud. Oh wait, this is probably a resentment you have agianst her, she probably died on you so now you are mad at how unfair life is. So what you are really looking for is another titty to suck on right? Well, I am not available.....Love it, rent free:D

110lb, 5 foot 7 inches......maybe when I was twelve.

Lies? your Identity is a lie....pot meet kettle? it takes one to know one? I think not. So what you are saying is when you met me you were dissappointed? Too bad, so sad.

I am comfortable in my own skin....you???

Donkey_Kong
08-07-2006, 05:36 AM
My real name is HummBebe. I'm not an AE

The problem I have is how you flirt with every member here and lead them on to believe you are someone you are not. THAT IS AN AE.

Why do you try to hide and stand behind H2coPilot? Is it like your trick to make you look thinner? It doesn't work on lamp posts either. Like a trainwreck.:rolleyes:

You seem to enjoy making fun of others. Can I make fun of you?

I'm glad you're comfortable with your figure. Next time I see a block of wood, I'll think of you.

Peace out Jackel-lyn

The Juice
08-07-2006, 05:58 AM
The problem I have is how you flirt with every member here and lead them on to believe you are someone you are not. THAT IS AN AE.

Why do you try to hide and stand behind H2coPilot? Is it like your trick to make you look thinner? It doesn't work on lamp posts either. Like a trainwreck.:rolleyes:

You seem to enjoy making fun of others. Can I make fun of you?

I'm glad you're comfortable with your figure. Next time I see a block of wood, I'll think of you.

Peace out Jackel-lyn

Dang! That copilot's body guard looks bad assed. I don't think I'd pick a fight with him.

Dirty Harry
08-07-2006, 08:19 AM
the word donkey (and its equivalent, ass... )

giant gorilla named Kong

gorilla and orangutan: smallest (about an inch and a half ) guess what we're talking about.

Donkey Kong = An ass with about an inch and a half.

Guess that about sums it up. Guess that's why you picked the name.

Ipedog
08-08-2006, 06:42 PM
AE cowards bring the SUCK!!!

If you don't have the balls to say something as yourself then don't say it.

usetosellhummer
08-08-2006, 07:14 PM
September 18- 24

Registration deadline is September 1. Club Event: Durango - Moab 2006
Coordinator: Ron Bomhoff
Event Information:Click Here (http://www.thehummerclubinc.com/events/event_docs/DM06-announcement.pdf)
Registration Form:Click Here (http://www.thehummerclubinc.com/events/event_docs/DM06-Registration.pdf)
AM General and Local Dealership Support New Mexico, Colorado & Utah
We pack close and most will stay in Farmington not evil Durango. They like our money

Bo Bo
08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
AE cowards bring the SUCK!!!

If you don't have the balls to say something as yourself then don't say it.

you giv new meenign to the wodr retard. can yeo sat taht with a muoth full of cake fatty?

DRTYFN
08-08-2006, 08:14 PM
you giv new meenign to the wodr retard. can yeo sat taht with a muoth full of cake fatty?

BUWAHAHA!!! Goofed on by a tard AE.:D:D

This calls for the Spaz Dance!!!

usetosellhummer
08-08-2006, 08:21 PM
wow

Steve - SanJose
08-08-2006, 10:56 PM
get a grip on all the AE's.

h2co-pilot
08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
BUWAHAHA!!! Goofed on by a tard AE.:D:D

This calls for the Spaz Dance!!!

No I think a coordinated dance is in order.;)

DRTYFN
08-08-2006, 11:48 PM
:D

h2co-pilot
08-09-2006, 12:15 AM
:D