PDA

View Full Version : Pewter Grill?

Buckeye Hummer
08-21-2003, 08:11 PM
I have been looking into having my grill painted pewter like the rest of the vehicle. First, has anyone else done this with this color. Second, has anyone done it with any other colors (I remember someone did a black one that was cool). How much did it cost? I hear the 2004's will have painted grills. Will we be able to just buy a new grill and what is the cost effectiveness? For the person who had the black grill done, have you seen any chips or stone throws yet and does 3m have the film to cover the grill?

Sorry, lots of questions but I think a painted grill is the way it should have been in the first place just like the H1.

Buckeye Hummer
08-21-2003, 08:11 PM
I have been looking into having my grill painted pewter like the rest of the vehicle. First, has anyone else done this with this color. Second, has anyone done it with any other colors (I remember someone did a black one that was cool). How much did it cost? I hear the 2004's will have painted grills. Will we be able to just buy a new grill and what is the cost effectiveness? For the person who had the black grill done, have you seen any chips or stone throws yet and does 3m have the film to cover the grill?

Sorry, lots of questions but I think a painted grill is the way it should have been in the first place just like the H1.

MisterEd
08-22-2003, 11:12 AM
I painted an extra grill black....local body shop did it for $130. Stripped off the chrome in some kind of a dip then spayed it and baked it for me. Been on about a month with no chips at this point in time.

Be careful in how the chrome gets removed because any process that generates any kind of heat could cause problems with the plastic grill. Also the reason you cannot powdercoat the grill since that coating requires a heat curing period........

JSA_3
08-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Like Phil mentioned I had mine done, and so far highway miles and all it has held up much better than I expected. My intentions were like what Mr. Ed did, order an extra and have it painted, but my crash took care of that, they painted the replacement. I'll have to buy another one if I ever want to go back.

I'll add - the two days I was in San Antonio a few weeks ago, they had one of the S.A. Spurs' rig in and it was originally pewter that they took one step further. They made it two tone Pewter over Black. I must say it looked very sharp. It looked as if they snapped a line from top edge of front bumper to top edge of back bumper and everything above and I mean plastic and all was glossy pewter. (pewter grille looked very good) Eeverything below was glossy black, w/black tube side steps. The interior was painted glossy black. Factory Alcoa chrome wheels w/stock BFG's. Shiny hood pulls, side hood vents, mirrors, door handles and roof bars. It looked formal - very classy without going over the top.

Sorry for the rambling,
John