View Full Version : A question about the FJ

31_bandits
08-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Does the FJ have a locking center diff?

Wisha Haddan H3
08-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Short answer = yes

Long answer from cars.com ...

"The manual has permanent 4WD for use on any surface, with a limited-slip center differential that sends 60 percent of the torque to the rear axle in normal driving. It can automatically transfer up to 70 percent back there, or a maximum of 53 percent to the front axle when slippage occurs. The transfer case lever can be used to lock the center diff for a 50/50 split, and to engage an additional low gear for off-roading. In normal use on snow and wet pavement, automatic mode should be more than enough. The 50/50 lock might help when stuck and in low gear.

The 4WD that's teamed with the automatic transmission is actually less sophisticated. Rear-wheel drive is the default mode. Here the transfer-case shifter engages a part-time, 50/50-split 4WD that's for use only on slick surfaces. (Dry pavement causes binding and possibly damage.) Another setting engages the low gear for off-roading. A locking rear differential, controlled by a dashboard button, is optional."

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?revid=50301&makeid=47&modelid=7838&year=2007&revlogtype=20&section=reviews

also, they only mention locking rear diff with the auto trannys, but it's available on both.

31_bandits
08-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Short answer = yes

Long answer from cars.com ...

"The manual has permanent 4WD for use on any surface, with a limited-slip center differential that sends 60 percent of the torque to the rear axle in normal driving. It can automatically transfer up to 70 percent back there, or a maximum of 53 percent to the front axle when slippage occurs. The transfer case lever can be used to lock the center diff for a 50/50 split, and to engage an additional low gear for off-roading. In normal use on snow and wet pavement, automatic mode should be more than enough. The 50/50 lock might help when stuck and in low gear.

The 4WD that's teamed with the automatic transmission is actually less sophisticated. Rear-wheel drive is the default mode. Here the transfer-case shifter engages a part-time, 50/50-split 4WD that's for use only on slick surfaces. (Dry pavement causes binding and possibly damage.) Another setting engages the low gear for off-roading. A locking rear differential, controlled by a dashboard button, is optional."

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?revid=50301&makeid=47&modelid=7838&year=2007&revlogtype=20&section=reviews

also, they only mention locking rear diff with the auto trannys, but it's available on both.

cool. thanks, man.

so "yes" for the manual, but "no" for the automatic are the answers to my question.

Wisha Haddan H3
08-31-2006, 09:33 PM
I think it's yes for both. If the center diff was open (or ltd slip) on the auto tranny, there would be no binding on dry pavement.

31_bandits
09-01-2006, 02:07 AM
I think it's yes for both. If the center diff was open (or ltd slip) on the auto tranny, there would be no binding on dry pavement.

well, in the eBrochure, on page 3 it mentions a locking center diff for the manual, but not for the auto. And also lists locking rear diff as "standard", so that yields 3 wheels forced to spin, which is pretty good.

So i think you get's an open center with the auto. I will concede that that seems somewhat odd.

meathead
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Correct, the auto only comes with a rear locker.

HummerHippy
09-05-2006, 01:22 PM
IN my research, FJ, auto trans is 2wd, partime 4wd Hi and 4wd Low (so most likely has a locking center diff). Auto has the option of a rear locking diff.
Man trans: Full time 4wd, locked 4wd Hi and locked 4wd Low. Locking rear is standard. Again I believe it has locking center diff.

I bought an H3. ;)