PDA

View Full Version : Muffler bearings

Fastest H-Town Realtor
08-31-2006, 06:29 PM
After 60K+ miles of squeaky door panels, running over small cars and way to many gallons of gas burned, I have encountered my first problem with my 05. Muffler bearings are bad. Sounds like hell. I was parking in the garage when I heard this sound which was like ball bearings inna tin barrel bouncing around. I thought it was transmission/drive case origined. After putting Kong in park and slowly increasing rev of the engine, I noticed the sound got a little louder,then dissapeared. Came back at idle. Ouch-maybe converter? So i slid under the beast with my Klein knock sensor tool. Placing the screwdriver to my ear, then the metal tip to the engine, I heard no problems...just a nice whirring of GM power. Check transmission-Nope. T-Case? Nope. Damn...guess Ill listen to the exhaust. DAMN! Loud as hell..and louder towards the muffler. A listen to the muffler confirmed my sounds origin..the muffler is rattling-must have broken a spot weld inside.

On the better side, this now allows me to make that Zoomers exhaust system buy I wanted. X-pipe, here I come!

KenP
08-31-2006, 06:50 PM
After 60K+ miles of squeaky door panels, running over small cars and way to many gallons of gas burned, I have encountered my first problem with my 05. Muffler bearings are bad. Sounds like hell. I was parking in the garage when I heard this sound which was like ball bearings inna tin barrel bouncing around. I thought it was transmission/drive case origined. After putting Kong in park and slowly increasing rev of the engine, I noticed the sound got a little louder,then dissapeared. Came back at idle. Ouch-maybe converter? So i slid under the beast with my Klein knock sensor tool. Placing the screwdriver to my ear, then the metal tip to the engine, I heard no problems...just a nice whirring of GM power. Check transmission-Nope. T-Case? Nope. Damn...guess Ill listen to the exhaust. DAMN! Loud as hell..and louder towards the muffler. A listen to the muffler confirmed my sounds origin..the muffler is rattling-must have broken a spot weld inside.

On the better side, this now allows me to make that Zoomers exhaust system buy I wanted. X-pipe, here I come!You may have to use the left-handed monkey wrench to remove the exhaust.:giggling:

Marcmedic
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
There is actually a small grease fitting located on the top of the muffler that needs to be greased. They never do it when you take it in for an oil change and lube because the exhaust and muffler needs to be removed to get at the fitting. I'd try that first before you get a whole new exhaust...;)

tomp
08-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Mine broke off while wheeling

There is actually a small grease fitting located on the top of the muffler that needs to be greased. They never do it when you take it in for an oil change and lube because the exhaust and muffler needs to be removed to get at the fitting. I'd try that first before you get a whole new exhaust...;)

PARAGON
08-31-2006, 07:21 PM
it requires the 90 degree elbow zerk

tomp
08-31-2006, 07:35 PM

That's a better idea than flipping over the muffler and exposing it like I did.

TXSUT
08-31-2006, 09:48 PM

Is that due to the incompatibility of the stock zerk and the Fabtech tie-rods?

KenP
08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Is that due to the incompatibility of the stock zerk and the Fabtech tie-rods?Yes. Plus he has the Tornado thingy, too. He's in trouble.

PARAGON
08-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Yes. Plus he has the Tornado thingy, too. He's in trouble.Yep, I learned, you need to put in the elbow fitting THEN grease the muffler THEN slide the tornado thingy into the tailpipe. Sliding in dry is a bad deal

Marcmedic
08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Yep, I learned, you need to put in the elbow fitting THEN grease the muffler THEN slide the tornado thingy into the tailpipe. Sliding in dry is a bad deal

I just use saliva...are we still talking about the muffler bearings?

Star Jones
08-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Do iz need ta ax fagy Al to chang minz? Hez gotn time cuz he dont liks mi phat azz meat walet no how.

MUD4ME
09-01-2006, 04:29 AM
I had to replace mine! I also changed the blinker fluid just to be safe....:D

DDWH
09-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Do iz need ta ax fagy Al to chang minz? Hez gotn time cuz he dont liks mi phat azz meat walet no how.

YES!

Vettster
09-01-2006, 05:50 AM
Turn the friggin radio up. :twak:
Then, you won't hear the freakin muffler bearings.:dancingbanana:

Motohead
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I had to replace mine! I also changed the blinker fluid just to be safe....:D

I hope you switched to halogen fluid when you did the change...