PDA

View Full Version : Buying a hummer out of state

Dunkster
11-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Buying a H2 in AZ while on Vaction and taking it back to CA. What trouble or problems might I expect? Do I have to registar in both states? Do I have to pay taxes in both?

Hello all you happy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif hummer owners. I have fallen in love with the new H2. I live in the Bay Area in CA and as some might know it is hard to get one there. In my trips to the dealer in CA I was only able to look at the h2 from a distance, touching was off limits(good thing I am sure I would have drooled on it).

This week I took a nice 14 hour(have 2 dogs) drive to see my family in Phoenix, AZ. I couldn't resist checking out the local hummer dealer here and was surprise all of them had at least 5 or more h2's in stock. This was great because I was able to get inside a h2 and even drive one. Now I am really in love.

-------------
Dunkster

Dunkster
11-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Buying a H2 in AZ while on Vaction and taking it back to CA. What trouble or problems might I expect? Do I have to registar in both states? Do I have to pay taxes in both?

Hello all you happy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif hummer owners. I have fallen in love with the new H2. I live in the Bay Area in CA and as some might know it is hard to get one there. In my trips to the dealer in CA I was only able to look at the h2 from a distance, touching was off limits(good thing I am sure I would have drooled on it).

This week I took a nice 14 hour(have 2 dogs) drive to see my family in Phoenix, AZ. I couldn't resist checking out the local hummer dealer here and was surprise all of them had at least 5 or more h2's in stock. This was great because I was able to get inside a h2 and even drive one. Now I am really in love.

-------------
Dunkster

SJ
11-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Dunkster:

I lived in Castro Valley until age 10 - hope my old hometown is treating you well.

You will pay Tax, License, and Regsitration Fees according to the County and State that you list as your primary residence. The County where you reside will determine the Sales tax.

My neighbor registers his Ferrari in Oregon by using his parents' address. He saves a good $600 per year in DMV fees by doing this. I'm not suggesting you use your family's address in Arizona, but get creative and use whatever legal means you can to save money.

You might want to try Fitzpatrick Hummer in Concord. They can put your name on their delivery list and the wait time is supposedly down to 4 weeks.

Best of Luck.

Jason
11-26-2002, 05:32 PM
some dealers are not willing to sell the H2 to anyone who resides outside of their "territory." I have been told that they put their HUMMER franchise at risk.

Others however, have no problem selling the H2 (online for example) outside of their "territory." They will even help set up the shipping for you, but what fun is that. A vacation/business trip to pick up your rig, and then a road trip home. That sounds good to me.

I guess it just depends on the dealer. None of the dealers, however, were willing to sell to me so that I could re-sell the H2 on this site. (You would be surprised at the amount of purchase requests I get)

In 1995 I picked up my Red Hummer Wagon from Augie at Ron Carter HUmmer in Texas. He was awesome, and we still talk every now and again. Maybe he would be willing to help you out, you can find his contact info at our "Supporting Dealers" page.

BTW, he did not pay for that listing and I do not make a dime if you contact him. I am just helping out someone who once helped me.

Best of luck.

Jason

KAC
11-26-2002, 05:55 PM
I talked to the dealer about this on Saturday. He said that they agreed to sell within their own territory and that if they sell one to someone outside their territory, it doesn't count as a sale. Their allocations are based on their in-territory sales only. So, if they sell many out of their territory, their allocation will decrease.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

DIANE
11-26-2002, 06:37 PM
I live in the Fl Keys and purchased my H2 from Lynch Hummer in Missouri. They gave me a 30 day tag so I could drive it to FL. I paid tax, title and license in Fl. I am having a problem with my R front speaker and the South Fl dealers were not responding so I called the purchasing dealer and Hummer directly (I also e-mailed A S FL dealer). Within 24h I received a phone call from a S Fl dealer who was more than happy to address all of my problems as soon as I can bring the H2 in. I do not expect further problems from any dealership.

Happy Hummer
11-26-2002, 06:43 PM
I live in Maryland and bought in Delaware. Reason being is the Hummer dealer closest to me was a real pain in the A$$ to deal with. They wanted over sticker and gave me nothing for my trade. I bought in Delaware and they treated me like a king. They gave me top dollar (almost $9,000.00 MORE than the other dealer in MD) for my trade and sold me the truck at MSRP.

I asked the same question about selling in their territory and they said that if you went to your local dealer FIRST and they did not treat you well or did not have the vehicle then it was ok to sell. They did stress that you had to go to the local dealer FIRST.

Taxes-I just paid in my state. They gave me a temp. tag for 60 days and I do all the paperwork in MD.

I hope this helps.

ROB

2003 Hummer H2, Lux. Black
2002 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
2003 Honda Odyssey EX
2003 Harley V-Rod 2 Tone

sheag
11-26-2002, 10:03 PM
It really REALLY seems to vary. I am here in Washington State primarily to buy my Hummer and ship it back to my resident state of Hawai'i. This is a common practice since cars in Hawai'i are marked up beyond what it actually costs to ship them and inventory at dealerships is very limited. There are no Hummers on my island, I would have had to fly to Oahu to buy one, and at way above MSRP. Anyway, I contacted several Hummer dealerships around the area and got a different answer from nearly every one. Some simply wouldn't sell to me for the reasons others have listed, they don't sell outside their appointed "area". The dealer I am going with has absolutely no problem selling to me and giving me a trip permit so I can play around with the Hummer for a couple of weeks before I ship it off and go back to Hawai'i myself. Also different states have different laws. Some dealerships in some states are required to charge you sales tax from the state in which you're a resident and remit it to that state directly, depending on both where you buy and where you live. As I understand it, my state, Hawai'i, is entitled to hit me with a tax bill for the Hummer and charge me HI state sales tax on it if they get wind of it. Makes no sense to me, but it apparently happens. I bought my Dodge here and shipped it to HI, no problem, didn't pay sales tax either place. Even if I do get a tax bill, I'd much rather pay the sales tax in HI which is half that of Washington's. When you're paying cash for a 60K vehicle, those few % points matter quite a bit more than if you're financing a smaller purchase I suppose.

Shea

Arizona Hummerboy
11-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Did you buy your Hummer form Scottsdale Hummer know as Kachina Cadillac? If so is Bryan Mathews your sales person?

I am in Phoenix also,would love to chat if you have time while you're here in Phoenix Dwayne 602-494-5696 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dunkster
11-27-2002, 04:26 AM
I did not purchase a hummer yet. But I did stop by that dealer and check the hummers out which is more then I could do in CA.
I was thinking a Sage Green Hummer and they did not have one nor did the other 2 dealers in AZ. After looking at the pictures in the photo album I might change my mind on the color. After talking to my tax guy he advised me I would end up paying tax in AZ and in CA which at 8% would be expensive. So I guess I will wait and order one in CA.
I think I will go tomorrow and test drive a hummer again.

-------------
Dunkster

sheag
11-27-2002, 04:00 PM
Dunkster, you might want to get a second opinion on your tax situation. I'm not overly familiar with tax laws in the states you mention, but I would find it highly unlikely that you would be required to end up paying sales tax in both locations. Worst case scenario, you could probably apply for a refund if you were charged AZ state sales tax and then receive a CA tax bill, some states have procedures to do so. It's not an insignificant amount on such an expensive purchase, so you might want to check around.

Shea

BKLYNH2
12-05-2002, 01:37 AM
Dunkster- Hope this info is not to late for you, but I have just completed an out of state purchase.
First I had no problem finding out of state dealers who would sell to me.( most in state dlrs. were not very pleaseant to put it nicely)
We bought in MI and live in NY. We paid 4% MI sales tax which was deductible from our 8 1/4% NY tax. Check with your DMV they should have a form for claiming a credit. In NY they accept a portion from some states, all from others, and not at all for a few.Our dealer in MI did a good job handling this on his own but I did do some checking on my own to be sure.
Finally the out of state dealer may not have to charge any tax if the vehicle is not going to be regisered in that state. Our dealer got an inter state temporary plate to drive car from MI to NY. This is available in all states at DMV for around 10$. It will give you enough time to get it home and regiter it.

Peter-

Dunkster
12-05-2002, 01:46 AM
I am back home now and without a hummer. On the bright side I was able to check them out while in AZ and test drive. I enjoyed the test drive and playing with the mirrors was great fun.

I think there is a few good dealers in the Bay Area I just need to check them all out. If anyone has a recommendation for a dealer/salesperson please let me know.

I have a good idea of what I want now, and I even like 3 different colors so it shouldn't be that hard to find and I can just order one and wait the 8 to 12 weeks.

Thanks for all the help.

-------------
Dunkster