PDA

View Full Version : Spare underhood electrical point

ChuckE
01-09-2005, 07:24 PM
This might be helpful for any of you that need an underhood 12v source.

I needed to have a 30A 12v supply under the hood and I noticed that there was a missing "Fog Lamp" relay (since we don't have fog lamps) in the fusebox, under the hood.
BUT there was a 15A mini-fuse marked for the "Fog lamps" anyway.

I checked and found that the fuse supplies current to leg "30" of the missing relay.

So, by changing the 15A fuse to a 30A, and then getting a small spade connector to plug into that open leg "30" of the missing relay, bingo! I had a quick 30A fused tap.

You could use any value mini-fuse (or just use the supplied 15A fuse) in that fuse socket.

ChuckE

I needed to have a 30A 12v supply under the hood and I noticed that there was a missing "Fog Lamp" relay (since we don't have fog lamps) in the fusebox, under the hood.

I checked and found that the fuse supplies current to leg "30" of the missing relay.

So, by changing the 15A fuse to a 30A, and then getting a small spade connector to plug into that open leg "30" of the missing relay, bingo! I had a quick 30A fused tap.

You could use any value mini-fuse (or just use the supplied 15A fuse) in that fuse socket.

ChuckE

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-10-2005, 12:14 AM
PhilD I agree completely. If You need 15 amp source go for it. Not on a H2 but I unbolted a box on another GM vehicle a couple years ago for a similar situation, needing more amps than available, and the wire under the panel was gaged apropriately for the amps available. So what did i do i used a 10 amp vacant terminal for a 25 amp draw and melted and shorted stuff. It was a spray boom with a relay but still applies as Phil said be careful.

TAZ

PARAGON
01-10-2005, 12:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
If you need 30 amps, direct from the battery would most probably be a better bet. If you need it ignition switched, use a relay.

Just my 2c. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Also, Stud 1 and 2 is made just for adding accessories and are easy to hook to.