PDA

View Full Version : Lower Control Arm Bushings and some carnage

Alan06SUT
09-10-2006, 10:03 PM
The silver bolt in the middle of the pic is the lower control arm bolt. If you wheel, tow, or drive like an a55hole, you should check these regularly and tighten the piss out of them.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/acablik/DSC02348.jpg

And here is some frame "clearancing" I did when high centered. 37's are in order I believe....
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/acablik/DSC02347.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i16/acablik/DSC02346.jpg

lotus4s
09-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Alan, that's cool you have a custom frame now...:jump:

Alan06SUT
09-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Alan, that's cool you have a custom frame now...:jump:

Yeah It has a better break over angle than stock!!! Its actually like that on both sides. I think it was from that ledge at fains ford in Tellico!

Hum2
09-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I had a lower control arm bolt nearly fall out, but the bolt was hitting the half-shaft on the right front side, and eventually I figured out what the knocking noise was, just in time...the nut fell off in my hand when I felt to see if it was there.

I asked the dealer how this locking nut/bolt system could/would ever come apart....they admited that they may not have tightned the lower arm bolt when they had it off replacing the balljoint.

Had you had any suspension work done previously?

Ric

Alan06SUT
09-12-2006, 05:00 AM
I've seen a few frames like that. I've dragged my frame across rocks many times and have been high centered more times than I care to remember, but I've never made a dent like that into the frame. Did you hit it with some force, or did the weight of the vehicle do that?

Also, check the cross member that's got the bent up tabs at the frame. I've done that a few times and just hammered them down again. But it is welded to the frame all around the inside, so just check it to make it is not seperated or ripped anywhere.

Definatley some force!...repeated force! I did make it up though and it rides like new, straight down the road,etc. so I guess its no big deal. I'll check the welds and beat the cross member back flat.

Alan06SUT
09-12-2006, 05:04 AM
I had a lower control arm bolt nearly fall out, but the bolt was hitting the half-shaft on the right front side, and eventually I figured out what the knocking noise was, just in time...the nut fell off in my hand when I felt to see if it was there.

I asked the dealer how this locking nut/bolt system could/would ever come apart....they admited that they may not have tightned the lower arm bolt when they had it off replacing the balljoint.

Had you had any suspension work done previously?

Ric

I found the same thing! The nut had maybe one thread before falling off. They replaced the pittman/idler arms recently. :mad: :mad: :mad: But, I feel that when we go off road and beat on our trucks some, we should check stuff like this for our own safety etc and encourage others to do so. Still no excuse for it to leave the dealer w/ loose control arm bolts.

timgco
09-12-2006, 05:26 AM
I have been reading this thread and decided to check mine... just now. The pssd has blue lines from the bolt to mounting point. They line up. the drsd did not. I'll be gettin out the impact on Tuesday.

Alan06SUT
09-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I have been reading this thread and decided to check mine... just now. The pssd has blue lines from the bolt to mounting point. They line up. the drsd did not. I'll be gettin out the impact on Tuesday. Mine was worse on the drivers side bolt on by one thread), and the pass. side was loose, but maybe 1/2 a rotation was all I could tighten it.