PDA

View Full Version : engine cooling fan

hummerh2ksa
09-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi all

I?m from Saudi Arabia and have a 2004 H2. I have a problem which I believe is common with all H2?s. My problem is simply with the engine cooling fan. It makes the engine very noisy when it kicks in. I understand that the cooling fan is programmed at certain temperature and will work for short period of time just to cool the engine below the setting temperature and then engine sound and power is back to normal. My problem with that is when the cooling fan kicks in while I?m climbing a soft sand dune (when the engine full power is needed). The engine would sound very noisy and scary too.

Is their any engine upgrade that would keep the engine cooler and maybe add more power to the engine? Any ideas?

Thanks,

H2Finally
09-13-2006, 01:29 AM
I agree that the noise (and lack of power) when the fan clutch kicks in, is bothersome. In the past I've brought it back to the dealer multiple times, to adjust the "kick-on" time, since I felt that it went on too often and for too long a time.

Some in this forum have converted to electric fans, which doesn't produce that "ROARRR" noise, and gives back some horsepower to boot. I believe the GM-made electric fan was found to be more durable.

One problem is that the electric fan blades may shear-off when the H2 fords water of any depth (or at speed). But being you're in the dessert, this issue may not be a problem. Others have experienced some heating issues. I'm sure the relevant owners will chime in.

DDWH
09-13-2006, 02:13 AM
It's not just Hummers!:mad:

hummerh2ksa
09-13-2006, 12:35 PM
H2Finally ... thank you very much for the advice. I will consider your suggestion and let you know if it helps.

DDWH ... yes it is a problem with all GM's but the hummer seems to be worst than all other GM's when it comes to this issue.