PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of bats?

Yetti
09-18-2006, 01:23 AM
I have a 30 x 48 pole barn I park my H2 in and there seems to be bat **** on it almost everyday. its worse over my old ladys car. the little buggers seem to hang out only at night and take off when day light comes. I have only seen 1 bat in the barn durring the day. who has the know how on getting rid of them?

OldHiker
09-18-2006, 01:33 AM
I doubt if they are bats. Bats nest(hang around) during the day since they are nocturnal.

h2co-pilot
09-18-2006, 02:08 AM
You really can't get rid of them unless you completely seal it up and only open the door for entry/exit etc.

You may try lighting it up at night- with flood lights or fluorescents. The ultra sonic repellants, pee spray and moth balls don't work. And killing them won't help either (kill one and scare the rest until the next day and so on). You can get bat houses to try to tranfer them or.... car covers?

****ty kaka.http://members.aol.com/rynocub/ace2.gif :D

ratesguy
09-18-2006, 04:28 AM
Bats are beneficial animals. Do they bother you? I bet you dont have any mosquitos if they are around. They are nocturnal and wont be around at night. They sleep during the day and wont bother you.

Arizona Hummerboy
09-18-2006, 04:40 AM
1. A few good friends

2. One keg of Ice Cold Beer :beerchug:

3. And A Shotgun.

= No moor BATS :dancingbanana: :jump: :dancingbanana:

KenP
09-18-2006, 04:47 AM
If you don't see the bats during the day, I doubt you have bats in there. You'd see them during the day.

Just Google "bats in barn" and you'll find some cool info on the little bug eaters. Even how to relocate them.

ssgharkness020147
09-18-2006, 05:23 AM
Some years ago a neighbor had the same problem. The solution: a nail gun.

My parents had the same problem in the house (built in 1908). There is a local guy who actually specialized in the problem. He was great, he got all the bats out of the house. Then went around and sealed up all the holes. Trust me if this guy could seal al the holes in a 100 year old house your pole barn should be a breeze. From then on he gauranteed his work for a year, if a bat were to get in to the houe we just called him and he would come and remove it free of charge. Every so often we have him back to do "touch up" work. I'm sure that there is someone like this in your area.

KenP
09-18-2006, 06:01 AM
But wouldn't he see the bats during the day when he went in the barn?

BlueHUMMERH2
09-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Yeah, bats are good. You'd see them during the day if they were there. And the guano is pretty nasty looking, not like bird craps or anything. You probably have something like barn swallows. They seem to come home around dusk and dawn to their little nests and poop.

PARAGON
09-18-2006, 03:17 PM
If it's a pole barn, you'll have problems keeping anything out. Take some rope and some cheap tarps and string up the tarps above where the cars park. Occasionally dump the "findings" into your wife's favorite flower bed.

h2co-pilot
09-18-2006, 04:12 PM
If it's a pole barn, you'll have problems keeping anything out. Take some rope and some cheap tarps and string up the tarps above where the cars park. Occasionally dump the "findings" into your wife's favorite flower bed.

That's very "martha" of you P.:D

Yetti
09-20-2006, 12:34 AM
I spent that last 3 days cleaning out the barn to make room for winter storage of the patio funiture and pool stuff. I didn't kick one up , but theres one rooting just outside the back sliding door on the ledge above the roller. he has been there all summer. there another one wedged up under the siding on my walk out basement, we see little turds from him on the drive way where he squezes in.

as for bat boxes, I have built and installed 2 of them on the phone poles away from the house and garage. they have bats in them, but these guys are don't seem to social.

and yes I see them every evening out flying over my backyard( 8 acres) so they have lots to eat when it comes to bugs. I found one thing they seem to like those yellowjackets that nest like the wasps. their numbers are way down this year, and I can only account it to the masive piles of crap in my barn.

HummBebe
09-20-2006, 12:58 AM

So Bat Poop is good for flowers????

We have bats in the area, I see them at night. They don't seem to bother anything though. And if they are the ones keeping the yellow jackets away.....I hope they stay around!