PDA

View Full Version : Swaybar bushings

ROX
09-20-2006, 12:52 AM
I was just wondering if anyone in the world sells aftermarket swaybar bushings. I got in my rig this morning, and the tire rubbed on the swaybar really bad. When I measured from side to side, it is about 1 inch out of center. (it moved to passenger)

I went to the parts store and tried to get a set of Energy Suspension swaybar bushings, but apparently they don't make them for the h2 anymore. I called a couple of 4x4 shops and they don't sell any either. Of course the dealership needs the car for diagnosis and parts ordering, so there's two days.

Has anyone ever found an aftermarket set? (I searched here, but only found two threads)

Thanks in advance

H2R

drivers side

ROX
09-20-2006, 12:52 AM
passenger side

HummBebe
09-20-2006, 03:09 AM
Could this be a part of your front end issues???

ROX
09-20-2006, 05:49 AM
It's the front bushings mounted up against the frame. (in the middle of the swaybar) I was looking around town today, and on the internet and Energy Suspension doesn't have any for an H2. ??? I figured they were the same as any other part for a Chev/GM truck.
My swaybar links, behind the tie rods, were replaced a month ago. Those bushings no longer existed.:o This trouble is brand new, like I drove it on Sunday, and noticed it backing out of the driveway the next morning. I did pull a heavier load than normal over a cra p p y road though.

My dealership said they could have stock ones sent in for 19.00/each.
I kinda wanted the ones you can grease. The dealership had another name for the part. I think it was anit sway sleeve, or something. sorry can't remember.

I had hoped that I could get the grease-able synthetic kind from Energy Suspension and be done with it ...

ROX
09-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Could this be a part of your front end issues???no, more like another failure due to the fact that the dealership only replaces one part at a time, instead of being pro-active and heading off potential problems at the pass. I fired them. They no longer work on the front of my H2. (unless it's really expensive) I'd like to....rrrrrrrrrrrrr.nevermind.

My new idler arm is goofy again, I'm looking for more beefy idler/pitman solutions too. And the steering linkage. I'm starting from scratch!:mad:

Cognito or Moog?

CO Hummer
09-20-2006, 06:17 AM
OK, I'm gonna take the simpleton approach here. Why does it matter of the sway bar is cocked over to one side by and inch? What performance problems does this cause? My front sway bar is 1-1.5 inches to the passenger side, has been for years. It's even polished from the rub of my old stock tires. It's never bothered me and I haven't noticed any poor performance.

My theory is that I'll just go until the bushings fall off and the bar disconnects. I can still wheel it home, then replace them. What am I missing here?

ROX
09-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Well for one thing, if it's centered your wheels won't rub if you run the BFG muds, and will only rub slightly with the AT's, and if the bushings are good they won't squeak all the time.

Your theory of drive it till it drops is sound. Reminds me of another Colorado Hummer driver I know:D

I was wondering if anyone has replaced theirs lately and what kind did they put on? I can't seem to find the Energy Suspension ones Phil is talking about. It's like they discontinued them.

PARAGON
09-20-2006, 03:35 PM
My new idler arm is goofy again, I'm looking for more beefy idler/pitman solutions too. And the steering linkage. I'm starting from scratch!:mad: prease explain

it's not the arm itself. I can talk someone through a potential solution if you or Trent want to give me a call. It's half-assed radical but is somewhat non-permanent. Of course, since I don't have this problem, I have not tried this.

dochummer
09-20-2006, 04:17 PM
if the bushings are good they won't squeak all the time.

Is this the squeak you get when you hit little bumps while driving down the road, or when turning corners? I've noted that something in the suspension has been squeaking when doing that, and can't figure out what it is. I also get a nice faint squeak when taking long turns - it sounded like brake pads, but the mechanic says those are fine...I'm hoping it's not CV joint related....

CO Hummer
09-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I also get a nice faint squeak when taking long turns - it sounded like brake pads, but the mechanic says those are fine...I'm hoping it's not CV joint related....

Doc,
I've had a faint squeak like that from Day 1, primarily when I turn left on wide curves in the road.

I spent tons of time working with MedVed Hummer to figure out what this was. They even flew a tech out Am General. They used stethescopes, etc, etc and had my rigs for days at a time.

The final answer was "we don't know" and "it's within acceptable noise tolerance so we're not going to do anything about it".

Personally, I think it's a fluke with the steering column - where at certain angles it hums sort of like a tuning fork.

PARAGON
09-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Doc,
I've had a faint squeak like that from Day 1, primarily when I turn left on wide curves in the road.

I spent tons of time working with MedVed Hummer to figure out what this was. They even flew a tech out Am General. They used stethescopes, etc, etc and had my rigs for days at a time.

The final answer was "we don't know" and "it's within acceptable noise tolerance so we're not going to do anything about it".

Personally, I think it's a fluke with the steering column - where at certain angles it hums sort of like a tuning fork.so, are we talking squeak, clunk, thud, bump, knock, chirp or what.

CO Hummer
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
so, are we talking squeak, clunk, thud, bump, knock, chirp or what.

For me it's a high pitched squeal, sort of faint.

dochummer
09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
For me it's a high pitched squeal, sort of faint.

Same here, when taking turns at about 10+ mph. but mine didn't start until this past month. The other sound I get, when hitting bumps on the road would be described more like a "chirp" and faint, not too loud...

I've been listening to talk radio more often lately instead of the music, that's probably why I hear the noises now...

ROX
09-20-2006, 05:28 PM
prease explain

it's not the arm itself. I can talk someone through a potential solution if you or Trent want to give me a call. It's half-assed radical but is somewhat non-permanent. Of course, since I don't have this problem, I have not tried this.Well, after only about 4000 miles my new idler is starting to rock on the centerlink. After a recent alignment, I noticed the castor adjustment bracket is at the end of travel again. (not sure if it's related, but I assume it is) I was hoping to fix this by putting on a Cognito support bracket and idler arm, as well as their pitman arm. I wasn't sure if the Moog stuff is better though. Isn't that what everyone replaced their Fabtech stuff with?

Was thinking of trying this: http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/02-06_H2/idler_pivot_assembly.htm

and this: http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/02-06_H2/pitman_idler.htm

What do you think of that?

The more I learn about the front end the more I wonder if my torsion bars are still as stiff as they were when they were new. I usually check the height on all 4 corners of the car while it's running, after the air suspension has cycled and stopped. It's still at 42.5 inches off a level floor, all the way around, so I'm not sure if the torsion bars are an issue, yet. Why does it feel so squishy all the time? I rode in someone elses 03 hummer a few weeks ago and when they came to a stop, the front end hardly moved. Whats up with that?

BTW, I'm still looking for new swaybar bushings and can't locate any that aren't stock.
Phil, I left you a message at Trailduty. :)

ROX
09-20-2006, 05:31 PM
The other sound I get, when hitting bumps on the road would be described more like a "chirp" and faint, not too loud...That could be dust inside the shock boot.

dochummer
09-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Rox, could the extra weight from the winch be causing it?

ROX
09-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Rox, could the extra weight from the winch be causing it?When did you get a winch? I doubt that's what causing the squeak unless it's not tight on the front. Is it cradle mounted? If it is, they will move around inside the front receiver and clunk when you hit big bumps and stuff. I fixed that by running the cable over to a tow hook and tightening it down. Just make sure the cable is not under the winch or it will get pinched if you bump against a rock.

Big Z
09-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Who Has a Lathe, a stock set of Bushings, and some Raw Poly!?? ;)

ROX
09-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Who Has a Lathe, a stock set of Bushings, and some Raw Poly!?? ;)I've got him working on something else right now.;) :D

CO Hummer
09-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Who Has a Lathe, a stock set of Bushings, and some Raw Poly!?? ;)

Well, I don't have any of those. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

ROX
09-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Well, I don't have any of those. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.So you have a Latte, a set of big pillows and a raw ..... :giggling: :D :OWNED:

CO Hummer
09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
So you have a Latte, a set of big pillows and a raw ..... :giggling: :D :OWNED:

DRTY already told me "those aren't PILLOWS"

PARAGON
09-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, after only about 4000 miles my new idler is starting to rock on the centerlink. After a recent alignment, I noticed the castor adjustment bracket is at the end of travel again. (not sure if it's related, but I assume it is) I was hoping to fix this by putting on a Cognito support bracket and idler arm, as well as their pitman arm. I wasn't sure if the Moog stuff is better though. Isn't that what everyone replaced their Fabtech stuff with?

Was thinking of trying this: http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/02-06_H2/idler_pivot_assembly.htm

and this: http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/02-06_H2/pitman_idler.htm

What do you think of that?

The more I learn about the front end the more I wonder if my torsion bars are still as stiff as they were when they were new. I usually check the height on all 4 corners of the car while it's running, after the air suspension has cycled and stopped. It's still at 42.5 inches off a level floor, all the way around, so I'm not sure if the torsion bars are an issue, yet. Why does it feel so squishy all the time? I rode in someone elses 03 hummer a few weeks ago and when they came to a stop, the front end hardly moved. Whats up with that?

BTW, I'm still looking for new swaybar bushings and can't locate any that aren't stock.
Phil, I left you a message at Trailduty. :)I would definitely do the Cognitos, both routes. But you are most likely wearing out your idler and pitman arms much quicker do to the issue we recognized with certain H2s.

ROX
09-21-2006, 05:26 AM
I took the skid plate off this afternoon and checked the bolts for the bushings, and they are tight. They don't look bad to me, but I don't really know what good vs. bad looks like. No cracks and stuff.

Here's a pic of the front bushing and idler arm bracket:

ROX
09-21-2006, 05:35 AM
This is a pic of the distance from the centerlink to the frame above it. It's a crude measurement, and I sat a flat piece of metal on top of the tie rod end to give a more accurate reading on the tape measure. This pic is of the drivers side.

I noticed there is a spot where the centerlink hit something behind it. I couldn't find the dental mirror to check the top/back of the centerlink but I do have a pic of that too. (drivers side)

ROX
09-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Here's a pic of the passenger side centerlink (distance to the frame)

I had a hard time getting the whole tape measure into the picture without glare and fuzz. Sorry. The tape measure is set up against the bottom of the frame rail.

ROX
09-21-2006, 05:59 AM
I did all the measuring and checking with the wheels on the ground and straight. Rancho shocks set at 7, I know it's not supposed to matter.
Notice how the drivers side is lower than the passenger side? Not very bad, but my idler is new. It's already gone out of alignment once. The bracket is in good shape and is not bent or cracked. The jounce jumpers are touching the lower A arms. Is that normal?

I'm beginning to wonder if the torsion bars are getting weak, but that would change the ride height wouldn't it? The car does rock when I stop and take off from stop signs. Even if I don't have it floored. ;)

I just thought I'd take the time to post these pictures in case someone has something similar going on with their car.

I still haven't located any poly swaybar bushings.

CO Hummer
09-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I still haven't located any poly swaybar bushings.

Is this what you're looking for? Saw these on JCwhitney.com, drilling down on the Hummer>H2>2003:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2005918/p-2005918/N-111+2003+200732374+600010344/c-10101

ROX
09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Yes, Thank you! Our swaybar measures 1.5" though, and the size is what I'm having trouble finding.

Hey CO, have you ever had your idler arm replaced yet? How many miles?

CO Hummer
09-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes, Thank you! Our swaybar measures 1.5" though, and the size is what I'm having trouble finding.

Hey CO, have you ever had your idler arm replaced yet? How many miles?

I wonder why those show up under the "H2" section when they aren't big enough. :confused: :confused:

No - I've never had the idler arm replaced. I have 34,000 on my '03.

CO Hummer
09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Hey, get this nice Purple sway bar kit. :D :D

http://www.drivewire.com/performanceparts/intrax/hummerh2swaybarkits.html

PARAGON
09-21-2006, 03:48 PM

Hey CO, have you ever had your idler arm replaced yet? How many miles?I'm still running the original idler/pitman arms and my truck is 4 years old and have yet to have an alignment off enough to warrant a change.

ROX
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey, get this nice Purple sway bar kit. :D :D

http://www.drivewire.com/performanceparts/intrax/hummerh2swaybarkits.html AWESOME!

I'm checking to see if they have blue:D

ROX
09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Wow. After hearing you guys talk, now I'm sure my 03 H2 performed better than this one. I always thought it was because I didn't wheel it as much. Even my cross country trip ripped the idler arm, toasted the pitman and wore out the tie rod ends, and the axel seals were leaking when I got home. No trailer, just me and the kids and a bunch of Hershey Chocolate!:D

CO Hummer
09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow. After hearing you guys talk, now I'm sure my 03 H2 performed better than this one. I always thought it was because I didn't wheel it as much. Even my cross country trip ripped the idler arm, toasted the pitman and wore out the tie rod ends, and the axel seals were leaking when I got home. No trailer, just me and the kids and a bunch of Hershey Chocolate!:D

The more I hear about these kind of problems, the happierI am with my '03. I'm wonder if they tried to cut corners on later models. :confused:

ROX
09-22-2006, 12:43 AM
I took my car down to the dealership to have them look at the bushings, in case I needed new ones. Apparently there is a grease zerk on top of the bushing above the frame. The fellow that did the last service said he could have greased it too much. I watched him crawl under there. He said you can grease them with a special tip on a grease gun. So maybe that's all it is after all, and I don't need to find any ever elusive synthetic bushings.

He checked the idler and told me it's not too bad yet, a little looser than when he put it on, (2 months ago). So, right now everything is okay. But, they always say that. I'm sure I'll have to go back soon enough.

Thanks for the help guys, and if I ever do locate any other aftermarket bushings, I'll pass it along.

CslRkH2
09-22-2006, 01:42 AM
and my truck sat noticeably lower on the PS when I got it.

Maybe this is why one of my torsion screws in tightened way more than the other...Hmmmm...

Great thread!!

tomp
09-22-2006, 03:04 AM
My PS is tightened way more as well.

Maybe this is why one of my torsion screws in tightened way more than the other...Hmmmm...

Great thread!!

ROX
09-22-2006, 05:04 AM
My torsion bar bots are at different settings also. I think that's normal from installation. I did notice one is dead even with the frame and I'm surprised I haven't sheared it off yet. (knock on wood)

I am considering putting on a set of stiffer torsion bars. I pull a trailer frequently for long trips and I'm thinking maybe the stock ones have just gotten weak and squishy. Maybe it's as simple as the spring has just gone out of them. ???

The last resort is to take the idler assembly off and have it welded back on so the centerlink is at the proper angle.

CO Hummer
09-22-2006, 06:54 AM
The last resort is to take the idler assembly off and have it welded back on so the centerlink is at the proper angle.

I'm going to buy a MIG welder tomorrow, so bring it over and that can be my first project. ;)

ROX
09-22-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm going to buy a MIG welder tomorrow, so bring it over and that can be my first project. ;)Coming from a guy that just changed his air filter for the first time in 3 years, Maybe I'll just borrow it and try it myself.:giggling:

I can just see it now, "Hey CO, I don't think you're supposed to hold it right there..." GGGGGGGgggg!!!11:D