PDA

View Full Version : Front End Noise-Something Different

MDimitri
09-21-2006, 02:04 AM
My friend Dennis is hearing this noise from the front end drivers side when the wheels get turned.

http://www.boarral.com/hummer/front_end_noise.wmv

Any suggestions? I think it's a steering shaft issue...what do you think??

:confused:

MDimitri
09-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Yes, the whole underside was lubed by dealership and they are stumped also...

Boar-Ral
09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm the H2 owner in question. ;)

I have been speaking with MDimitri about this issue, and we've been trying to figure it out. It has been raining here for one and a half weeks and the noise seems to have stopped, at least for the time being. (I also went through a mudhole that jarred the vehicle hard a couple times.) Perhaps those things are linked to it? I am going to pay attention to this to see if and when the sound returns.

All fluid levels are good and everything has been lubed. If I do not go wheeling this weekend, I might pull the skidplate and poke around a bit if the sound returns.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the sound will return. It lasted too long to disappear permanently just because it is raining or I hit a bump.

Thanks for the suggestions, even if the sound has temporarily stopped. Everything helps, in this case I am learning more about how the front end of the vehicle works. Idler and pitman arms are something I've heard plenty of, and seen pictures of, but the angles are always confusing, and I hope to find them on my vehicle, so I can truly see what they do. I'm not mechanically gifted like many people here, but I have worked on a few little things like this in the past.

Boar-Ral
09-21-2006, 10:15 PM
If everything is lubed, there aren't too many places it can be coming from. Can you isolate it down as exactly where the noise is coming from, which side, center, steering box, etc?
As soon as it starts making the noise again, I am going to isolate it. That is what I was trying to do today when I couldn't get it to make the sound anymore. We're supposed to get a couple of days without rain, so we'll see if it starts making noise again as things dry out. Thanks again for your help, I'll respond as soon as I hear the noise again.

RasterMaster
09-22-2006, 04:09 AM
If everything is lubed, there aren't too many places it can be coming from. Can you isolate it down as exactly where the noise is coming from, which side, center, steering box, etc?

I get a creak (sounds like an old rocking chair) on the front driver side. It didn't start until after my trip to the beach (Port Aransas), but that may be a coincidence since most of July-August was over 100 degrees and dry as a bone.

Rainy today and the sound went away. Got a trip to the dealership coming up to resolve other issues, but would like to learn about the cause so I know what's the cause and have something to go by.