PDA

View Full Version : Computer Expert Needed ...

Jason
09-21-2006, 06:03 PM
After 6 years, I have finally updated the computer system in my office (from Windows 98, 400Mhz and 128mg of Ram - YES it was time).

I have a network in the office, and was able to get all of my documents and most of the items I need from the old computer over to the new one, except for my emails. I have quite a few that I would like to transfer over, so actually emailing them from the old computer to the new would do the trick, but will certainly take some time (plus once on the new computer they would all be from "Jason Rosoff" - making it very difficult to sort through).

I use MS Outlook 2000, and have tried the import/export tool within the program but could not get it to transfer from the Outlook on the old computer (it just looks for existing email programs on the new computer - of which there are none).

Can anyone offer advice (besides switching to a Mac!?!?!?)? Step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jason

ty_r1
09-21-2006, 06:29 PM
The real question is do you save your mail to personal folders?
If you do then all of your mail is in a .pst file on your machine and you can simply copy the pst file to your new machine and link it back up with Outlook.

I don't remember exactly where in OL2000 to determine it ...but in OL 2003 you go to tools\e-mail accounts and you can see if there is a pst file there.

You can also look in OL and see if it says Mailbox at the top or Personal Folders at the top.

HTH

Big Z
09-21-2006, 06:30 PM
Not an expert, but, you might try Saving them as a File?...Store on a Cruiser (memory stick)...and transfer them?

Sewie
09-21-2006, 06:39 PM
You should be able to use the Import/Export.

On the old computer:
In Outloook, go to File > Import and Export
Select Export to a file
Select Personal Folder File (.pst)
Select what to export. Check the box to include subfolders.
Select a location and click Finish.
Copy the .pst file to the new computer

On the new computer:
Go to File > Import and Export
Select Import from a file
Select Personal Folder File (.pst)
Point to the .pst file and click finish.

HummBebe
09-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Brownie points for the Pie Boi :jump:

Jason
09-21-2006, 07:46 PM
It worked! Many thanks.

:jump:

I had tried that at least 10 times earlier today and kept getting the same damn error message. Finally took the time to read it and figure out the fix (know that I knew I was going about it properly).

I appreciate the help and you guys taking the time to reply.

Jason

The Green Lantern
09-21-2006, 07:58 PM
:beerchug:

HummerHippy
09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I have a Win95 machine at home, Pent 66MHz, 24MB RAM! :jump:
Seriously! I don't use it for anything, but it is hooked up and can be booted up.

KenP
09-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Can anyone offer advice (besides switching to a Mac!?!?!?)? Step by step instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
JasonHAHA!!! I wonder who that pre-emptive strike was aimed at.:giggling: :jump:

Agriv8r
09-22-2006, 12:26 AM

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jason

pick up the phone and call geeks on call. then get a few beers:beerchug:

DRTYFN
09-24-2006, 06:53 AM
HAHA!!! I wonder who that pre-emptive strike was aimed at.:giggling: :jump:
BUWAHAHA!!!!! :dancingbanana: