PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on repairing scratches in paint

vip808
09-26-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm having a hard time trying to cover a scratch in my door. It's about an 1 1/2" long with part of the metal showing with the edges of the scratch looking like primer. I tried using GM touch up paint with the Langka repair kit but the paint covering the edges comes off. I've tried painting then using 2000 wet sand and polish but the paint is so thin on the Hummer that it looks like I'm making the edges of the scratch worse.
Are there any body shop experts here willing to give out any shop secrets on how to repair scratches? Do I need to re-paint the whole door?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Motohead
09-26-2006, 07:54 AM
did you make sure you put enough coats of paint on? You really have to make sure you build the paint up, completely covering the scratch, and over the sides of it. At least 6+ coats. When you sand make sure you sand with a flat sanding surface, and don't over wetsand, or you will have the problem you are having. I always do this for all of my scratches and have never had a problem.

vip808
09-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Motorhead,
I only got up to 2 coats.. I applied the first coat and let it set for a day.. as it shrank I sanded the first coat then applied the second coat.. after the second coat I waited for about 5 days to let it set.. then I wet sanded and polished.. it looked o.k. but when I looked at it yesterday in the sun I noticed the edges were the touch up paint ended was kind of dull so I tried to buff it some more (3M finishing polish) and noticed the white edges might be going past the clear.. this is where I stopped and came in to write for some help.

Motohead
09-27-2006, 01:37 AM
vip...

you have to apply quite a bit more paint to get it HIGHER than the original paint surface. You really don't have to wait that long, even between coats. Give an hour between coats, keep building it up. I'd at least put 6+ thin coats on. You need to get the scratch filled completely in. Wait a day or so to sand then make sure you keep the sandpaper flat, using water. It will work.

Boar-Ral
09-27-2006, 04:10 AM
I wish that I knew someone locally that had a more steady hand, so that they could fix the key damage to my H2 like this. My insurance company is beginning to dick me around and claiming that the damage occurred offroad, even though I have a police report stating that my vehicle was one of many keyed the same night in my area.

Motohead
09-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Boar... I'm somewhat close... just stop by and I'll fix it... :D

Boar-Ral
09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Boar... I'm somewhat close... just stop by and I'll fix it... :D
I've always wanted to see Florida, but if you're in the area, just let me know. :D

vip808
09-28-2006, 02:45 AM
thanks for the help guys but the repair was beyond my expertise... since my H2's black and the paint is too thin where the scratch is (close to an edged part) the only way to make it look good is going to be re-painting the door.. thanks again for the help