PDA

View Full Version : Fabtech rods and tire pressure questions

mrmayhem
09-27-2006, 05:25 AM
I just ordered Fabtech HD tie rods to replace the stocks.. Not a big job.. but what about alignment? I have spoken to several 'wheelers' who all agree that you can do a better alignment than a shop can... if you know what your doing of course. The rods only affect the tow in/out.. and they suggested either marking the tires or using a tape measure I'm leaning towards going to a shop for the alignment.. but is it really that hard to do yourself?

Also.. I have the air suspension... and I currently run about 45psi for better gas mileage. .. What is a good tire pressure to lower to for doing light to moderate wheeling? (Say.. mostly moderate climbing, medium rocks... and possible mud/snow (in the mountains)?)
For anyone in colorado... Something like the Ute Pass for starters.. Stock tires.

And in case anyone was interested .. I got a smokin deal on them from In The Buff Custom Accessories in Parker Co. :perfect10s:

mrmayhem
09-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Thanks.. Yeah.. I heard that some shops can actually make it worse. I'm leaning on doing it myself now.

Alan06SUT
09-28-2006, 03:55 AM
Nice Avatar!:D

dochummer
09-28-2006, 06:17 AM
Are the instructions posted somewhere? :) I'll be installing the Fabtech TR's next week. :)

I just did one myself yesterday with a tape measure and it holds a line and drives perfectly. It is not difficult to do. I use a plump-bob and tape measure. You can get the toe damn close.

I've noticed with oversize tires that you can leave an alignment shop with the toe set badly, so do it myself.

20 psi is pretty much the standard for moderate wheelin' in a H2. Much higher and you really get very little benefit from airing down.

mrmayhem
09-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Sweeet. I just got mine today and I'm itching to put them on.
Any alignment write ups would also be appreciated.. tips, advice.. etc.

mrmayhem
09-29-2006, 07:00 PM
You da man.. thanks. Now to get the job done.:jump:

dochummer
09-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Awsome Phil! Thanks :perfect10s::perfect10s::perfect10s: