PDA

View Full Version : Nail in my tire!

H2D2
10-09-2006, 12:40 AM
Might be a dumb question, but not sure because of the weight of the H2......

Can a stock H2 tire be plugged when you get a nail in it? Anyone ever plugged their tire?

partsguy
10-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Depend's where the nail is .If it's not in the side wall you are good to go.

RazM
10-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Earlier in the year I got a nail in the tread of my front driver side tire on my H3. I did some research online and read that if the puncture is relatively small, and like partsguy said, it isn't in the sidewall, then a plug AND PATCH is safe. However, make sure you get the patch along with the plug and not just the plug alone.

I don't know if the weight of the H2 would be a problem tho...

DDWH
10-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Yeah i had some big azz nail bolt type deal, they plugged it and no problems for about 4k now. I am now about 2k from new tires so I wanted to just try and get by.;)

Dug
10-09-2006, 02:39 AM
The plug will work fine. A better way would be to patch it if you want to, the plug could work loose over time.
Theres no such thing as plug and patch. Its one or the other.
Plug and patch sounds like a tampon or something. doug

RazM
10-09-2006, 04:22 AM
The plug will work fine. A better way would be to patch it if you want to, the plug could work loose over time.
Theres no such thing as plug and patch. Its one or the other.
Plug and patch sounds like a tampon or something. doug

:lame: Yes there is, can't believe I'm wasting my time posting this info to prove it, but :fdance:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77

"Combination of patch & plug or a specific "mushroom" patch that combines the functions"

"Simply plugging a tire from the outside without removing the tire from the wheel is improper. (If a tire is punctured while off-roading far away from civilization and a spare tire isn't available, a plug may serve as a temporary low speed solution that must be replaced with a proper repair as soon as possible upon returning to the road.)Additionally, any repair that doesn't completely fill the path the object took through the tire is incomplete. While a patch on the inside of the tire reseals the innerliner, it does not fill the path of the puncture. This will allow moisture to reach the steel belts and/or the casing cords causing them to rust or deteriorate."

No, you SHOULD NOT just plug or just patch, a combination of the two is the only proven SAFE solution.

lotus4s
10-09-2006, 04:44 AM
Certainly a plug and patch would give an extra level of security but if you'll notice the only reason given for adding a patch in addition to a plug is to make sure it continues to holds air.

I have plugged many nail holes in my tires over the years and can't recall ever having one that leaked......

RazM
10-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Certainly a plug and patch would give an extra level of security but if you'll notice the only reason given for adding a patch in addition to a plug is to make sure it continues to holds air.

I have plugged many nail holes in my tires over the years and can't recall ever having one that leaked......

For the money, I don't see why anyone wouldn't do both to have a properly fixed tire.

f5fstop
10-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Plug/patch is the only way to keep the speed rating of the tire. Might not be important in a Hummer, but can be in a Vette.

Dug
10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Hope i didnt lead anyone in the wrong direction. I was always taught by my father , (who is set in his ways) that if you dismount the tire and patch hole remove the plug and tar/cement in hole. Also , a "mushroom patch" is a plug. That is installed from the outside of tire and pushed through. That is a great set up , but that isnt what i was saying when i said do not plug and patch. I was refering to two seperate pieces.

H2D2
10-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Got it plugged for $15 and so far so good. Thanks guys.

I got another question that I'll be starting a new thread on, so if anyone has heard of my other existing problem, I'd appreciate the feedback

KenP
10-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Plugged many a tire and NEVER had a problem. Even on drag cars running street wrinkle walls and sub 11 sec 1/4 mile times.

You can always carry a repair kit with you for the trails or just around town.