PDA

View Full Version : ALBERTA HUMMER OWNERS PLEASE READ!! CDN RED CROSS H.O.P.E. PROGRAM!!

MDimitri
10-11-2006, 04:34 AM
This is a message to all Alberta Hummer Owners, I have been working for a while now with the Canadian Red Cross in trying to develop and organize a Disaster Response team comprised of Hummer Owners to assist during a regional emergency and rough terrain search and rescues.

Please read the following:

>>Hi Michael,
To follow up on our chat last week. As I mentioned on the phone, the Red Cross Disaster Management Program here in Sothern Alberta, is currently recruiting new volunteers to join the team. After chatting to the Disaster Management Coordinator (Michael Louie), we both agreed that the first step in potentially having the Red Cross and the Hummer Club of Alberta working together during a disaster, is to have your interested members, become part of our local team (which you and I had already chatted about).

So they would receive the same level of training and we would expect the same level of commitment as all of our other current volunteers. This would increase their versatility during a disaster from possibly only being able to run supplies, access remote areas, etc with their vehicles (if not trained as everyone else), to being able to help out in all kinds of areas (as well as use their vehicles if required). I think being part of the team would (and getting the same training as everyone else), would also help them learn much more about the Red Cross and the Disaster Management Program.

Realistically, a disaster that would require us to use the Hummer vehicles may only occur every 5 years or so (but who really knows) - however we have lots of ongoing work that your members could do to hone their skills and knowledge in between such large scale disasters.

We are holding an information session for potential Disaster Management volunteers next week. If you could attend (or someone on behalf of the club), that would be perfect for answering a lot of questions (another session will be held in November). If not, you and I can chat one to one about what we are looking for. The email below in Red describes that session and how to reserve a spot:

Hi Everyone,
I am very excited to announce that the Disaster Management (DM) Program (formerly called Disaster Services or DS) is now ready to proceed with the recruitment process for potential new DM volunteers (like yourselves!). So if you are receiving this email, you have either already submitted an application for the DM Program, or you have simply expressed a desire to learn more about potentially volunteering with the program.

So if you are still interested, and available, in being part of our Calgary (and area) DM team , please join us for a Disaster Management Information Session on Wednesday , October 11, 2006 @ 7:00pm . During this session, we will cover all you need to know about becoming a DM volunteer! For all the details, please click the link below (please revisit the link before a couple days prior to the Oct 11 session just in case any updates have been made - for this is where any new information will be posted)

MISSION CONTROL"> (http://www.missioncontrol.co.nz/itm/Event_Master_Item_Public.aspx?ID=609&Event_ID=747)

If you have visited the link above, and would like to attend the session, or still have some questions, please feel free to contact karen.ussher@redcross.ca , for she will be the contact person for this event!

Thanks everyone,

Peter
Thanks Michael - if any of this is unclear, just let me know!

Pete

Peter Berridge

Disaster Management (formerly called Disaster Services)Training Coordinator
Canadian Red Cross
Southern Alberta
2nd Floor, 1305-11th Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T3C 3P6
Office: 403.541.6101
Fax: 403.541.6129
Email: peter.berridge@redcross.ca<<

All members interested in helping in any way whatsoever, please contact me at your earliest convenience as soon as possible. Obviously the October 11th date is going to be difficult to attend so an alternative date will be set. My email is Blakclaw@Telus.net or Michael@Newhatchwear.com.

Sincerely.

Mike Dimitrijevic
AB CHC President.