PDA

View Full Version : Maybe threatened...

ree
10-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I have a website that's got some games on it and I recently started posting about some of my H2 project. A person who had been frequenting the site to play one of the games noted this and sent me the following message via the contact form on the website.

i've been playing yatzree off and on since you first began your site or at
least since the mid-90's. Now I find that you think a Hummer is a good
vehicle. I regret to say that I am deleting your web site from my
favorites as it is clear that you are a typical greedy selfish, self
absorbed american who will ruin the earth for your own pleasure.
I hope you're a christian, waiting for the rapture, and that it comes soon
and takes you off this precious earth that you view as your personal toy.

Next thing you'll be shopping for your family in the 3rd world.

I acknowledge that Yatzree is has been a service to those of us who have
numbed our minds playing in low moments, but it hardly makes up for
irresponsible behavior.

"p"
Note the last sentence of the first paragraph (which I italicized)!

I've removed the email and name that was included. Since it's not an email directly from that person, I don't have a log of the SMTP hops for the message back to the individual. But I have the IP address which traces back to a Verizon DSL pool in DC area. The email address provided in the contact corresponds to an individual who was politically active last year in the Democratic party who lives in a town consistent with the Verizon ISP service. And so it seems that the person may have provided her real address and may not just be trying to impersonate the named individual.

What would you do?

(a) Ignore it
(b) Report the incident to Verizon as a violation of their fair use policy "(r) to use the Service or the Internet in a manner intended to threaten, harass, intimidate;" and hope that Verizon at least slaps their wrist or even cancels their service
(c) something more (but legal!)

And let's be reasonable here. Not irrational or vicious.

I'm strongly leaning toward (a). I have a family and would hate it if this person turned out to have bite to back up the bark and actually tried to do something in retaliation. It's really not that big a deal UNLESS this person is a already super whack job and is already researching me and not just venting. I take basic precautions to protect my privacy, but unless you live in a cave and especially once you post anything online, a determined person can find out everything about you via social engineering and public record.

I'm all for free speech and can accept criticism just fine. But when people, particularly those who feel they should be part of the political process, start strongly wishing you dead for as stupid a reason as liking HUMMERs, it makes you feel like they should be held accountable somehow.

KenP
10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
PM me the name and address.:jump:

DRTYFN
10-11-2006, 05:43 PM
PM me the name and address.:jump:
Yesssssss.... we needs dis info.:clapping:

PARAGON
10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
First, you know more than anyone here about the whole deal. Make a personal threat assessment and decide from there. If you feel the threat exists anything past what has already taken place, then contact your local FBI office and get them involved. I can't emphasize that enough.

ree
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
And then, what's second? ;)

Nothing but the willies thus far.

PARAGON
10-11-2006, 06:05 PM
And then, what's second? ;)

Nothing but the willies thus far.First was that you know more. Second was do something or don't do something :D

Third is that you tied our/my hands with "And let's be reasonable here. Not irrational or vicious.":jump:

Mr. I - Man
10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I wouldn't worry.
Its probably some angst filled 15 yr old goth geek, and he will probably just take it out in a bullet filled outburst on his classmates, not you.

ree
10-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Second was do something or don't do something :D

Okay. Good advice. I'll do something or not do something right away.
Third is that you tied our/my hands with "And let's be reasonable here. Not irrational or vicious.":jump:
I know this crowd. I don't want to be guilty of incitement.

ree
10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't worry.
Its probably some angst filled 15 yr old goth geek, and he will probably just take it out in a bullet filled outburst on his classmates, not you.
More than twice that age, but a Democrat. So afraid of guns.

KenP
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Oh just send us the info and we'll fix it right up for you. No problem.:D

MDimitri
10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
That brings up another Philisophical question...Just What The F..K IS Wrong With This World?? When a person works their ass off in order to better enjoy lifes simple pleasures, it seems to automatically draw criticsim that he/she must be a hypocrite... or by being able to afford luxuries such as the vehicles we drive or the boat we own or the house's we live in...we're automaticallly branded as a greedy, selfserving, eco-terrorists that could care less for our fellow human beings...just where the F..K does that come from????

I don't remember running anyone over in my truck..or my house landing on a bunch of refugees...or my boat drowning Ethiopians on the nile river... so where does all this hatred come from?? Not just hatred mind you, but enough self loathing to even consider wishing death upon a person they have never met...WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD??

It's so bad now that I have to worry about sending my kids to a school where some Psycopath may have been telling his kids that all Hummer owners are evil and that Hummer owners children are no different, whats going to deter that lunatics kid from one day coming to school and shooting all the kids who's parents own a SUV?? WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD???

It's unfathomable that people go out of thier way to take the time to finger our vehicles go home and post it on the internet showing off their level of intelligence...where the F..K were they when Katrina hit?? Where were are the environmentalists when the Indonesian Tsunami hit? why were they not there putting their self centred intrests in perhaps helping them better prepare for this disaster by developing a better early warning system, reinforcing costal areas, building burms for the citizens of Louisianna or better yet providing their self proclaimed vast knowledge of the "environment" to better use and assisting the army corp of engineers to better build levy's to help protect and save the lifes of the people in New Orleans....oops..they were too busy posting a picture of themselves fingering or humping a Hummer on the internet..."THATS WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD!!"

Sorry for the ranting....

Mr. I - Man
10-11-2006, 07:01 PM
More than twice that age, but a Democrat. So afraid of guns.

Lawyer up then !! That will totally scare the sh*t of him!!:D

Captain of the Titanic
10-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Ignore it. It doesn't really seem like a real threat to me.

In the 2 months that I have been driving my H2, I have been flipped off, dissed, cut off, glared at, and laughed at. I have had the size of certain parts of my body questioned, and at worst, my death requested.

I have decided they're not worth it. I did, in a fit of stupidity, relieve the "death requester" of the air in one of her tires, which could have gotten me in trouble.

I prefer to think about the high-fives I have gotten, the fact that H2s appeal to people of all races and both sexes. I've gotten thumbs up from other 4X4ers as well as waves from most other H2 drivers.

Forget about him... He ain't worth it...

Sign me,
Still Afloat in Dallas

Wisha Haddan H3
10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I feel for you, but I would ignore it. It doesn't sound like a threat to me, just a half-assed rant full of assumptions and stereotypes.

It's stupid that people would feel that strongly about one hunk of metal but not another, but that's people for you ... sigh :(

f5fstop
10-12-2006, 12:24 AM

That's not a threat, it is more of a statement. Seems to be aimed at your possible conservative views, which contradicts their own liberal views.

DRTYFN
10-12-2006, 12:30 AM
"I say we let him go...." :jump:

mikejr
10-12-2006, 12:45 AM
seems like a harmless comment made by some dolt. I'd ignore it and not give the SOB the satisfaction of knowing that they got to you. I concur with many of the above comments fully!

PARAGON
10-12-2006, 12:48 AM

That's not a threat, it is more of a statement. Seems to be aimed at your possible conservative views, which contradicts their own liberal views.I disagree to a certain level. It's all a matter of context.

Wishing someone is in a position to receive harm (although it's questonable here) can be construed as threatening depending on the entire context.

In her case, the context sort of depends on if she is a Christian herself. If she believes she will be taken off the earth along with REE then that's one thing. It's entirely other if she doesn't believe so and is mocking it. Since then it's simply about removing him from further "hurting the precious earth"

It's an odd thing to say regardless, I think.

mikejr
10-12-2006, 01:41 AM
well the world is full of odd people thats for sure!

h2co-pilot
10-12-2006, 02:35 AM
Was he trying to spell Yahtzee?

Start a weirdo/p#ssy/turd of the month section on your site and post it.:jump:

ROX
10-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Was he trying to spell Yahtzee?

Start a weirdo/p#ssy/turd of the month section on your site and post it.:jump:X2!!!

Sorry ree. I would report it to Verizon and see if they take their policy seriously. Then pay for a ticket for Drtyfn to go knock on their door. "I understand there's a person living here that has something to say about my friend and the car he/she drives. Could I have a word with them please?":OWNED:

frenzy1
10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I'd ignore it. Seems like just another looooooser !!

Actually I'm glad I live and drive my Hummer in Belgium (Europe). Have been drivin' it for a year now, and I have not received one negative comment, gesture, remark, ... yet. Everyone seems to love it (It's an extremely rare vehicle over here).

frenzy
Belgium

lvs
10-12-2006, 02:51 PM
I would report it to make a statement back that you just can't abuse the use of the internet and threaten anyone. Even if it is questionable. What might be next? Stop it now at this level.

GLBLWARMR
10-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree with Phil. Tell them thank you for their constructive criticism and continue you on with your day. That'll piss them off more than anything when you are nice in return to their negative comments.

CO Hummer
10-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Note the last sentence of the first paragraph (which I italicized)!

Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know what he's talking about. This is not a threat at all. Ignore it and move on. The guy is an idiot at best as is proven by his dispensational theology. But he's talking about wanting to do an "I told ya so" after the rapture. This is not directed as a threat, no more than saying "I hope you fall off a cliff".

BlueTJCO
10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
You really would have to read deep into that for it to be a threat wouldn't you?:(

That is not a threat IMO, just someone ranting and raving. He prob forgot he even sent you the email by now....

"**** you and your piece of **** hummer, I outta shove it up your ass"

"I'm gonna find you and stick your hummer up your ass"

"your dead **** head"

those are threats.......You are reading into it waaaay to much.

BlueTJCO
10-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Are you kidding me? You obviously don't know what he's talking about. This is not a threat at all. Ignore it and move on. The guy is an idiot at best as is proven by his dispensational theology. But he's talking about wanting to do an "I told ya so" after the rapture. This is not directed as a threat, no more than saying "I hope you fall off a cliff".

exactly, just written with a little more thought...;)

Goalkeeper
10-13-2006, 01:02 AM
First, you know more than anyone here about the whole deal. Make a personal threat assessment and decide from there. If you feel the threat exists anything past what has already taken place, then contact your local FBI office and get them involved. I can't emphasize that enough.

Dude,

Forget the FBI, I doubt you'll get any assistance from them.

I am a Federal Agent and a Computer Forensic Agent for DHS. PM me and we can disucss a few options. Oh, and I'm in Baltimore!

-Matt

H2bill
10-13-2006, 07:29 AM
What would you do?

(a) Ignore it
(b) Report the incident to Verizon as a violation of their fair use policy "(r) to use the Service or the Internet in a manner intended to threaten, harass, intimidate;" and hope that Verizon at least slaps their wrist or even cancels their service
(c) something more (but legal!)

In all probability it's harmless. The fact that s/he would be linked to democrats, is consistent with other examples of their preaching tolerance...while being totally intolerant of those that have opposing views to their own.

About the only religious group that it is excepted to dis nowadays without shots being fired, is of course Christianity. However, your option 'b' might be an angle to pursue that might create a bit of panic in the individual. If you make the case that you feel this person is harrasing and trying to intimidate you because of your religion (whether you are a Christian or not), and you are "considering" going to the feds with your concerns, it might just generate a response from Verizon to the perp.

At the very least, you may get some sort of satisfaction from it and the dude/dudette may think twice before they spout off again. Let us know what you end up doing.

H2bill
10-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Dude,

I am a Federal Agent and a Computer Forensic Agent for DHS. PM me and we can disucss a few options. Oh, and I'm in Baltimore!

-Matt

Sounds like Matt could be just the man to help you out. :clapping:

MarineHawk
10-13-2006, 10:53 AM
You really would have to read deep into that for it to be a threat wouldn't you?:(

That is not a threat IMO, just someone ranting and raving. He prob forgot he even sent you the email by now....

Maybe, but if you read the poster's message backwards, it says "I'm a Hummer-hatin' ghey satan boy, and I'm coming to get you." Coincidence?

PARAGON
10-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Dude,

-MattComplaints to the FBI like this gets logged. She develops a pattern of harassment, continues, does something a little bolder down the road and it's all in the system.

The biggest point is. Is that should this be some vague threat and she somehow think Ree needs to be harmed, he took the first step in a he said/she said situation. Which is the most important.

Just like in a local civil matter. First person to call the cops, gets the first benefit of doubt. It's just human nature.

ree
10-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks all.

I know it's not really much of a threat if one at all. I mostly wanted to put her in her place by getting Verizon involved. But she seems like enough of a nut case that that will just piss her off. Taking a stand on principal can have its consequences. If I didn't have children, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I've been watching logs and there's no evidence that anyone from that DSL pool has been checking up on me. So I'm just going to leave it alone.

Sorry Drty and Ken ;)