PDA

View Full Version : OEM Headlight Bulb Wattage

TouchdownTN
02-26-2003, 04:01 AM
As I have previously posted in the General Discussion Forum, I am in the process of deciding on an upgrade bulb for my H2. Does anyone know what wattage the OEM bulbs are? Low and High Beams? I am still open to suggestions for bulbs. It seems like most members have used Sylvania Silverstar's and like them. I have also been looking at PIAA Xtreme Whites and Nokya Arctic White. I have read about bulb life not being great(6 mos to 1 yr) on the high end replacement bulbs. Since Sylvania makes many OEM bulb I assume they may have longer life. I am also wanting to match the DRL's to the Headlight replacements. I have had a hard time finding any 4157K or 3157KX bulbs on the net that are white. My biggest concern is that I will buy a bulb that is too high wattage and burn something up. Hopefully not my H2!!! Again any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone!

03 Black Adventure with all Lux Options and Brush Guard Lights. Go Vols!!!

TouchdownTN
02-26-2003, 04:01 AM
As I have previously posted in the General Discussion Forum, I am in the process of deciding on an upgrade bulb for my H2. Does anyone know what wattage the OEM bulbs are? Low and High Beams? I am still open to suggestions for bulbs. It seems like most members have used Sylvania Silverstar's and like them. I have also been looking at PIAA Xtreme Whites and Nokya Arctic White. I have read about bulb life not being great(6 mos to 1 yr) on the high end replacement bulbs. Since Sylvania makes many OEM bulb I assume they may have longer life. I am also wanting to match the DRL's to the Headlight replacements. I have had a hard time finding any 4157K or 3157KX bulbs on the net that are white. My biggest concern is that I will buy a bulb that is too high wattage and burn something up. Hopefully not my H2!!! Again any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone!

Klaus
02-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Check out Daniel Stern's web site:

http://lighting.mbz.org/

Klaus

PARAGON
02-26-2003, 03:15 PM
My personal suggestion would be to find a new light housing before I spent any time or money on replacing the bulbs. The OEM headlight assemblies are less than lacking.

I replaced my headlights with the Sylvania HID system AFTER trying a few different bulbs in the OEM headlights. The OEM lens just does not project the light correctly on the road for my tastes.

If HID's are too much or if you just don't like them, I would suggest at least looking at some type of replacement housing and then stock them with the Silverstars or PIAA extremes.

JohnnyBoy
02-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Original equipment bulbs are 55/60 watts.

==================================
'03 Hummer H2 Adv./Lux. Pkgs. Sunset Orange W/Sunroof
Air Spring Susp. Pkg. + 3rd. row seat & DVD System.
CompuStar Auto Security/Remote Starter.
http://www.haugens.com

Hummie2
02-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Hey Guys...

Check out the Link Klaus posted above on Daniel Stern. He has a really good website on lighting and its very educational information. He has some good stuff on not only lighting but also on how your eyes actually perceive different light and colors of light.

A Cibie E-Code set-up can be done for around $250 with relays and everything. Also he has good wiring diagrams on building a upgraded wiring harness for any improved lighting upgrades.

Don

buddy
02-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Daniel Stern does know his lighting and very nice person. At times he may be hard to reach.

Gunther Hansele at:Cibie USA (http://www.talbotco.com) can also help.

I bought some Cibie's from him awhile back, and just ordered some Cibie Oscar SC cornering lights yesterday. They are great people.

The E-Codes put alot even light on the road without those annoying hot spots. Too bad they aren't hid's. You can go higher on the wattage providing you upgrade the wiring harness. A heavier gauge wiring harness improve the lighting with the stock 55/60 watt bulbs. It's a simple install and easily converted back to stock.

Sylvania is supposed to release a new upgraded 6024 HID headlamp in March, according to someone on one of the lighting forums. But, that's one of those wait and see rumors.

buddy

MAC
03-01-2003, 02:42 AM
I have been wondering about the LED bulbs. The LED flashlights I have are very effective. LED 3157 are more expensive, I have been wondering if I should try them out. PhilD, what happened? tell us more please.

PARAGON
03-02-2003, 03:18 PM
I, too, recently tried the LED 3157's and was very disappointed. Unlike PhilD, I really wasn't concerned with the way the 12 LED bulbs looked in the housing as I was with the light output and the color of the light. The color is excellent for matching the Sylvania HID's but there just is very little light output, negating the need for the lights all together.

I have some bulbs on the way that have been on backorder that are supposed to have the HID look (blue coating I'm sure). I am hoping that they tie the light color together with the HID headlights and still produce usable light. I'm not sure if they are the same bulbs PhilD is using or not, but I'll report on them as soon as I receive them.

By the way, the base of my stock 3157's were cooked to some degree. There was some minor melting to the base and the bottom of the glass bulb was blackened. Again this was the stock bulbs.

PARAGON
03-03-2003, 09:19 PM
PhilD, I agree with you whole-heartedly about the bulbs. I received my new HID look 3157 bulbs to replace the very disappointing LED 3157's. The new bulbs are just as disappointing as the LED's. They are not just coated blue, but a deep almost opaque tinting, so much so that they barely put out any usable light.

I'm curious to know if another type of bulb base will fit the back of the DRL lenses. I would be willing to buy new bases and replace the 3157's with an 9000 series bulbs if the tabs on the bulb base would match up and work with the stock lenses.

MAC
03-03-2003, 11:26 PM
My 3157 are translucent bulbs with light blue tint, and the light looks very strong in cold white color. $7 at Kragen Auto, which is not a good auto parts store, small, very limited stock and usual rude clerks; why are all auto supply store clerks rude and impatient? they look like they absolutely hate their jobs. Surprised they had it, one and only pair. I think I saw totally clear (no blue tint) super white bulbs at Wal-Mart. When you buy in a store, you can spend time to study the selections and return at will, do not bring your wife or children.

MAC
03-04-2003, 01:34 AM
Where is Al Gore when we really needed him? he would be absolutely perfect to lead this anti-SUV thing, I bet he can make thousands of Californians trade in their SUVs for tiny Japanese cars to show patriotism. What would Al Gore Drive?

I thought there is a Wal-Mart around every corner in Texas, OK, AR, LA. The closest Wal-Mart is 45 minutes away from me, not worth the drive. Twice we drove pass Wal-Marts and had the time, our family of 4 took tours inside, everyone went to his/her own sections, interesting but rarely buy anything. A personal friend of mine is the head buyer for all Wal-Marts worldwide, he claims they have the lowest prices with strict 30% markup from cost. I've only been to 2 Wal-Marts, they are huge and very complete merchandising, but prices were not the lowest across the board. I saw CD holders costs $0.50 FOB retails $19.97, pushpins cost $0.10 retails for $0.99, huge markups. He and family were staying with us on a vacation, I think I bruised his feeling when I told him that, Wal-Mart people are very dedicated employees, hasn't call me for months.

Tucson Beast
03-04-2003, 03:00 AM
I have purchase the super white blue DRL #3157 at AutoZone & Checkers ($5 to $6). I have had two pair burn out within one week of use. I have replaced the originals back in the DRL. I am wondering if the reason they are buring out is due to the fact that I have jumped the DRLs to stay on with headlamps. Or is it just a cheap bulb - the originals do have a little burn-mark at each base but work great as if it were the first day. Any thoughts!

TouchdownTN
03-04-2003, 03:06 AM
Just found some supposedly White 3157's with a chrome finish (No Blue Tint) at www.autotoys.com (http://www.autotoys.com). Don't know how good they are or how their burn life is but they aren't blue. I'm still leaning toward the Silverstars but also still looking at Eurolite, PIAA, adn Nokya. Circuit City carries the Eurolite's in some locations, but I'm leaning towards the Silverstars due to them being made by Sylvania and Sylvania being the OEM bulb Mfg.

MAC
03-04-2003, 03:52 AM
I looked at the Autotoy bulbs, they look exactly like the head lamp and off-road lamps bulbs I bought on eBay and from auto parts online retailer. The brands maybe different, some with blue tint, some without blue, some $8, some $50, all about the same and all work fine, same packagings. $8=$50, no difference. Korea, China, Taiwan, Japan or Germany, no difference. Be careful, what they sent to me are not exactly same as shown on the website or eBay photos. Photo may not be blue, what you get maybe blue.

No. 3157 is different, just two cheap little bulbs on ugly Taiwan blister card says "SUPER WHITE", but work fine for 8 weeks(since 1/7/03), that is a lot of super white hours and thousands of miles for $7.