PDA

View Full Version : Goodyears on New H2's

mikejr
10-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Was over at the local dealer looking at a Caddy CTS with my wife and noticed the new H2's sitting on the lot are coming in with Goodyear Wranglers. Anyone have any experience with that style of goodyear on the hummer? I am a dye hard goodyear fan, my 06 H2 is the first vehicle i've had with BFG's on it.

KenP
10-14-2006, 05:05 AM
Was over at the local dealer looking at a Caddy CTS with my wife and noticed the new H2's sitting on the lot are coming in with Goodyear Wranglers. Anyone have any experience with that style of goodyear on the hummer? I am a dye hard goodyear fan, my 06 H2 is the first vehicle i've had with BFG's on it.The BFG's are great offroad. Especially for a "stock" tire. Many here wheel them until the tread is gone.

GoodYear has alot to prove here.

timgco
10-15-2006, 03:34 AM
I haven't seen the new GY's off-road, but they look more of a road tire than anything else. I would be very surprised if they do anywhere near as well as the BFG's off-road.

You are correct Phil. They gum up quick. The mud wasn't really that bad and they looked like slicks in no time. They should be called GFY's. :D

I do think they will last longer on the road than the AT's (not that the AT's are bad).

DRTYFN
10-15-2006, 03:50 AM
They should be called GFY's. :D
:jump:

Is this the offending tire? If so, they're definitely GFY tires.

MarineHawk
10-15-2006, 03:52 AM
Seriously, it's a fcucking disasterous decision. They're putting Michelin-like tires on the H2. Before I had an H2, when I saw the stock ones, I thought, "That's a pretty rugged tire for a stock vehicle, maybe they really aren't glorified Tahoes." No more. When people who know a little about off-roading see an H2, they are going to think "That can't possibly be designed for real off-roading with those weenie tires." What a stupid idea. First, they stop making the flagship H1, then they put ghey tires on the H2. Selling is all about both capability and image. Hummer loses on the second issue horribly. Some people will realize that the stock H2 is a capable off-road machine except for the ghey tires; however, many will not and simply think the H2 is ghey. For example, a guy at a local 4x4 service and parts place, who I talked to about a year ago, doesn't know sh!t about the H2, but he basically thought it was a Tahoe. The new - GoodYear Cornholio Tire will only make this even more common. Hummer market share will suffer. People who want a Tahoe or Yukon already know how to pay less than the cost of an H2 to get one.

Alan06SUT
10-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Seriously, it's a fcucking disasterous decision. They're putting Michelin-like tires on the H2. Before I had an H2, when I saw the stock ones, I thought, "That's a pretty rugged tire for a stock vehicle, maybe they really aren't glorified Tahoes." No more. When people who know a little about off-roading see an H2, they are going to think "That can't possibly be designed for real off-roading with those weenie tires." What a stupid idea. First, they stop making the flagship H1, then they put ghey tires on the H2. Selling is all about both capability and image. Hummer loses on the second issue horribly. Some people will realize that the stock H2 is a capable off-road machine except for the ghey tires; however, many will not and simply think the H2 is ghey. For example, a guy at a local 4x4 service and parts place, who I talked to about a year ago, doesn't know sh!t about the H2, but he basically thought it was a Tahoe. The new - GoodYear Cornholio Tire will only make this even more common. Hummer market share will suffer. People who want a Tahoe or Yukon already know how to pay less than the cost of an H2 to get one.:iagree: The marketing people at hummer suck.

devilsfan
10-15-2006, 04:05 PM
They USED to be good. REALLY good. Then along came the H3....

The new ones could be sweet if they ramped them up a bit. Like with the H3 mom on the playground....why didn't they have her go to the dealer, buy an H2, come back to the playground and kick the crap of the other mom??? Oh, and run over her freakin' minivan? THAT would make me want a H2!

Stacy

DRTYFN
10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
If Hummer execs were smart they'd send a camera crew out every time I inform them that one of our groups is going to Moab/Paragon/the Rubicon. They must not care much for their jobs.:rolleyes:

GLBLWARMR
10-15-2006, 05:52 PM
:iagree: The marketing people at hummer suck.

I agree. They need to remove their current staff and put people who know trucks in their to make the RIGHT decisions.

mikejr
10-16-2006, 01:21 PM
that is the tire that i saw on the new h2's.....i've always had great luck with the goodyears, but this tire just doesnt look as rugged as the bfgoodrich.....

frenzy1
10-16-2006, 05:24 PM
bad idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robb
10-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I stopped by my local dealership the other day and saw an 07 with the goodyear's on it. UGLY in my opinion!

mikejr
10-16-2006, 11:58 PM
i think it takes away from the "tough" look of the H2. Looks like a street tire more than an off road tired.

KenP
10-17-2006, 01:10 AM
I thought the same about the BFG AT when I first saw them, but the GY takes it to new levels of mall queen styling.Damn. This sucks.

mikejr
10-17-2006, 01:18 AM
i suspect that the GY will be alot quieter on the highway, not that the BFG's are all that noisy. I loved the GY's on my Avalanches and it wasnt odd to get 40K+ miles on them before needing to replace them. What kind of mileage should I expect on the stock BFG's? I have...oh...9K miles on the truck now.

mikejr
10-17-2006, 02:01 AM
the dealer told me anywhere between 20K and 40K depending upon driving habits. I hope to get on the higher side for sure! They seem like they are wearing very well and i keep them rotated every 5K.

NORM02
10-18-2006, 01:19 AM
I work at a Hummer dealership and I have seen some go up to 60,000 miles. Yes, the new Good year tires are shi%. Everyone that I work with pretty much agrees with me. They do have the three ply sidewall that is found on the MTR, but the tread is not as aggressive as the beloved BFG's.:violin:

mikejr
10-18-2006, 02:29 AM
wow no kidding 60K miles, thats alot of miles. I guess it all depends on how you drive and how often you rotate them. I cant recall the GY's i had on my avalanches but they were good tires, but i never off roaded them.

31_bandits
10-18-2006, 07:06 AM
I think that i might have to concessionally agree with the sentiment offered above.

Its a shame that a less offroadish tire is placed on the H2. Its at least a shame that they don't offer some reasonably revered tire (like Toyo Mts) as an option on the "adventure" package.

The problems of a rushed-to-action plant that seem to afflict mostly '03 trucks and the societal fad of hummer bashing are gone and soon to be gone (fads don't last forever. the truck could never possibly have remained as popular as it began, and it will soon generally be vindicated on jeep forums and the like, and enviros will accept that it isn't the cause of all problems and gets mileage about the same as any old pickup with similar motor)...

... and with proper prodding from GM, the H2 could be poised for a big comeback of sorts. The tire won't help that, and that's a drag for sure.

dochummer
10-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Had 52K miles on mine before I bought a new/used set for the Rubicon. I still have 8/32nds left on the old set...

mikejr
10-19-2006, 12:24 AM
How often did you rotate your skins to get that sort of mileage?