PDA

View Full Version : h2 DURAMAX

ipeefreely
10-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey i was wondering but does anybody know how much it would cost to do a duramax conversion on the h2?

cow boy
10-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Yea time and money. $40,000. will do it. There are 2 or 3 places that do it .

timgco
10-16-2006, 01:48 AM
50K from Predator motorsports. You also get selectable 2/4WD. and also the Alison (sp?) transmission.

partsguy
10-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Wait for it!!!!!

ipeefreely
10-16-2006, 02:53 AM
dang, 50k??? Cant i just buy the engine and do the engine swap myself? would that save me some money?

frenzy1
10-16-2006, 07:07 AM
That's alooooot of cash !!! I converted mine to LPG, costed about 2000 ?uros (2200 us$). LPG is very very good gas and CHEAP !!!

f5fstop
10-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Wait for it!!!!!

Long wait....:fdance:

ipeefreely
10-17-2006, 02:07 AM
Hm....... the engine only cost 3.5k max on ebay, maybe i will do the conversion myself. Definatlely wont cost me 50k =P

NORM02
10-17-2006, 03:00 AM
Don't wait for it because it is never coming.

Ernie Italy
10-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I converted mine to LPG, costed about 2000 ?uros (2200 us$). LPG is very very good gas and CHEAP !!!

Hi Frenzy1
I'm in Italy and the cost of gasoline is too high. I switch to lpg (gpl for me) next week. The cost is a little high 2700 ?.
What is you impression ? The tank is at the place of spare tires or horizontal ?
What kind of product you have ?
Pics if is possible ???
Many thanks.
Ernie

Boar-Ral
10-18-2006, 06:35 PM
I was quoted $25,000 from a company in Witchita, Kansas. I cannot remember the name of the company but will look through my e-mail. The cost included the Duramax, Allison, and a new transfer case. He would offer a couple thousand back for the old powertrain, but had a couple options to bring the cost up again, like a transmission module for better shifting. Not bad, but still too much for me.

Boar-Ral
10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
I found the e-mail:

Thank you for your interest in my technology, I feel you will be very impressed with the performance and the towing capabilities from the conversion. Here is the breakdown on the duramax/Allison conversion on the hummer H2.

The base conversion is 500HP, 18- 26 MPG. In the conversion we use all factory Gm parts. All parts are new unless requested by the customer to obtain used parts to cut the cost of the conversion. The total turn key cost of the conversion is to you at $25,000.00. With our conversions you get a selectable transfer case which allows you to use 2Hi, 4Hi, and 4Low, unlike the stock H2 which is full time 4wd. The total conversion will take 7 to 12 days to convert your Hummer. I will require $20,000.00 down and Balance due on completion and and your satisfaction on the conversion. When I receive the vehicle I will remove the body and do a thoural power wash to remove all grease and containment's from the frame and drive train. I will inspect the complete drive train for any wear or damaged components and inform you of what I feel needs to be corrected or replaced. Below is a list of all the components you will receive in the conversion.

6.6 Liter LLY Duramax Turbo Diesel Engine W/ all new accessories
Allison M1000 5 Speed Automatic Transmission
NP HD Transfer Case W/ 2HI,4HI,4LO, and N
Turbo Inter cooler
Radiator
Over sized Fan, and Fan Clutch
Over sized Transmission and Engine Oil Cooler
New Rear Drive Shaft
New Front Drive Shaft
New Motor Mounts
New Transmission Mount
Custom High Flow Exhaust 4 Inch
Custom High Flow Air Intake
Edge Power Programmer with Attitude Display
All Necessary fluids, hoses, and Hardware.

I would also recommend upgrading the transmission by adding a Co-Pilot which is a computer management system for the transmission which will help the performance of the vehicle and extend the life of the transmission. This would be an additional cost of $1,500.00. I would give you a $1,500.00 credit for the existing drivetrain that would be removed from the vehicle when the diesel drivetrain was installed

ipeefreely
10-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the information Boar. But dAng, 25k. Thats another car there, lol.

Boar-Ral
10-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the information Boar. But dAng, 25k. Thats another car there, lol.
No worries. Definitely expensive, though at least not $40K - $50K. Even $10K would be out of my reach right now.

ipeefreely
10-19-2006, 12:42 AM
haha, lol. Yeah, but i think most people here spend 10k total upgrading something. Just not at one time, but dang, i cant stop about how much money that is, lol.

Boar-Ral
10-19-2006, 04:47 AM
haha, lol. Yeah, but i think most people here spend 10k total upgrading something. Just not at one time, but dang, i cant stop about how much money that is, lol.
I agree, based on the rigs that I have seen here. $10K is more expensive to me than most, simply because I am looking to return to university in the spring, after eight years. At this point, I might be selling my Hummer just so I can keep my student loan as small as possible. :(

ipeefreely
10-19-2006, 05:14 AM
that's cool but sad to hear that you're going to sell the hummer :( Which university are you going to attend and whats your major?

Boar-Ral
10-19-2006, 05:44 AM
that's cool but sad to hear that you're going to sell the hummer :( Which university are you going to attend and whats your major?
I will be attending the University of Alberta, majoring in Biochemistry. I am lining up for Medical School there, with my final goal being a PhD with a focus in surgery. On the bright side, ten years from now, the cost of an H1 might be more reasonable. :)

ipeefreely
10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Dude if you had a phd in surgery. im sure the cost of an h1 will be nothing to you, lol. ESPECIALLY if you a plastic surgeon =P

Boar-Ral
10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Dude if you had a phd in surgery. im sure the cost of an h1 will be nothing to you, lol. ESPECIALLY if you a plastic surgeon =P
We'll see. I'm terrified of returning to university after eight years, especially because it means leaving my current job. Prior to working here, I was unemployed for 18 months. I'm scared that if things do not work out in university, I am going to be in the same situation.

ipeefreely
10-19-2006, 06:10 PM
:mad: that sucks, what job are you doing now?

Boar-Ral
10-19-2006, 06:16 PM
:mad: that sucks, what job are you doing now?
I am in the IT Industry at the moment. It was much more fun as a hobby than as a career. I've lost almost all interest in it. So I might be advertising my H2 here soon. :)

ipeefreely
10-20-2006, 06:21 AM
awww, that sucks. how does your h2 look like? Any pics?

ipeefreely
10-20-2006, 06:22 AM

Boar-Ral
10-20-2006, 03:10 PM
I have a couple photo albums online from events I have gone to. You can see them here (http://www.boarral.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=110) and here (http://www.boarral.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=178).

Here are a couple random pictures:

http://www.boarral.com/hummer/trails.jpg

http://www.boarral.com/hummer/dirty1.jpg

http://www.boarral.com/hummer/clean.jpg

I hope to speak to one of the banks I deal with in the coming weeks and see if it is possible to arrange something with my student loan. It might look odd for a full time university student to be driving an H2, especially with a part-time job of stocking shelves or whatever I can find that will work with my classes.

ipeefreely
10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
wow those pics are awesome, look like you really had fun. I thought you were co_hummer or something at first with the yellow h2, lol. Man i really need to go off roading soon, i still havent had time to even take my h2 out for a spin on the dirt.
and hey, theres nothing wrong with a full time university student driving an h2, i do it =P

johndjmix1
10-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Keep it man, I live 2 blocks from UNC in Colorado and let me tell you, chicks dig the H2. Any student driving an H2 is pimpin it for sure! Got to have the blondes ~

Back to business, the duramax will be in 09 H2, so just wait. But dam, $25,000 doesnt sound too bad for the conversion. It it was $15,000 i think it would be very popular.

--John

BlueTJCO
10-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Keep it man, I live 2 blocks from UNC in Colorado and let me tell you, chicks dig the H2. Any student driving an H2 is pimpin it for sure! Got to have the blondes ~

Back to business, the duramax will be in 09 H2, so just wait. But dam, $25,000 doesnt sound too bad for the conversion. It it was $15,000 i think it would be very popular.

--John

That is some funny **** right there. Grown ass man proud that his H2 is a UNC College Girl Pussy Magnet...........:clapping:

ipeefreely
10-24-2006, 03:30 AM
wooooooo a diesel h2. FINALLY. But so far away...

mdoyle
10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Call me a skeptic, but when someone bids a project for me and comes up with a round figure like $25,000.00 then it seems like BS. I'd rather see an itemized list of parts, cost, hours, and mark-up.

Every shop is entitled to a fair profit and reasonable mark-up on parts, I have no problem supporting a justified price structure- but don't let anyone snow you, make them show you a written estimate.

And $1,500.00 credit for the engine / trans is robbery. Especially considering they can certify it's functionality before removal, helping their resale cause.

Boar-Ral
10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Call me a skeptic, but when someone bids a project for me and comes up with a round figure like $25,000.00 then it seems like BS. I'd rather see an itemized list of parts, cost, hours, and mark-up.

Every shop is entitled to a fair profit and reasonable mark-up on parts, I have no problem supporting a justified price structure- but don't let anyone snow you, make them show you a written estimate.

And $1,500.00 credit for the engine / trans is robbery. Especially considering they can certify it's functionality before removal, helping their resale cause.
So he is being generous with the quote, but screwing people on the trade-in? I agree that $1,500 is not much, but I have a hard time believing that someone would screw you on the trade-in, then be generous with the rest of the quote. If the person is in the mood to screw you, they will offer $1,500 for the drivetrain and still charge $45,000 for the conversion. Just my two cents with how I see it.

Of course, if anyone was to have this conversion done, I would hope they get a formal quote before dropping their vehicle off.

frenzy1
10-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey Ernie
My LPG tank (120 ltrs) is installed in the trunk. You do lose space. I'm gonna install a gobi roof rack for my spare tire. Now, I keep my spare in the company.
Here's some pics. It runs GREAT, you cannot feel you're running on regular gas or lpg. Even while driving, I can just switch from LPG to regulare or vice versa. But, have the installment done by a professional, 'cause there are a lot of "frauds" out there and I heard that a LPG installation, which isn't installed correct, is an expensive nightmare !

http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Frenzy/77012.jpg

http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Frenzy/77011.jpg

http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Frenzy/77013.jpg

http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Frenzy/77010.jpg

this is the button near the steering wheel to switch from lpg to regular gas and to see how much is left in the lpg tank

http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Frenzy/77015.jpg

and the place where to put the lpg in :

http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Frenzy/77014.jpg

Frenzy

johndjmix1
10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
You guys really think $25,000 is THAT bad? Hummm.

Remember that room in your house you redid, or the basement you finished. You thought the quotes were alot, but after 6 months working on the job, 200 trips to the home depot, and tripple the amount of money on materials you needed......you begin to understand why the contractors wanted so much. Just finished my dam cathedral ceiling project in my kitchen. =)

Kinda the same deal with a H2 duramax conversion.

But heck, it it was $10,000 I would do it. To me that would be worthwile for the duramax. Also, I think you need to take into consideration the quality of the conversion. Some I have seen are perfect down to the 4 wheel drive buttons being changed. Others are hack jobs...

--John

mdoyle
10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
My issue isn't so much with the cost as it is the nice round figure (25K). It screams, "I'm not into details".

My poker mind says he's bluffing his quotes if they're coming out nice and even.

For example- when I got estimates on getting our offshore boat repainted, the shop I selected provided the best quote. The accounted for surface area, prep time, chemicals, environmental disposal, paint, and final assembly and detail.

He showed me the number of hours broken down by process and his shop rate. I didn't ask for it and frankly at the time it wasn't a big deal, that's just how he prepared quotes.

Boar-Ral
10-24-2006, 08:34 PM
My issue isn't so much with the cost as it is the nice round figure (25K). It screams, "I'm not into details".

My poker mind says he's bluffing his quotes if they're coming out nice and even.

For example- when I got estimates on getting our offshore boat repainted, the shop I selected provided the best quote. The accounted for surface area, prep time, chemicals, environmental disposal, paint, and final assembly and detail.

He showed me the number of hours broken down by process and his shop rate. I didn't ask for it and frankly at the time it wasn't a big deal, that's just how he prepared quotes.
It depends on how people operate when they prepare an estimate, and it depends on how people react when they receive an estimate. As an example, when people first asked the question here, answers were also rounded. While not everyone likes such simple answers, most can deal with them. I made it clear to them when I requested the estimate that I live in Alberta, 3000 km away. Sorry, 3078 km away. It stands to reason that he would provide a rounded cookie-cutter response if he senses the chances of a sale are next to non-existant. Maybe not the best attitude, but if his work is good, that is what is important. Just saying, based on my extremely limited contact with the company.