PDA

View Full Version : REMOTE START?

MONSTERMATT
10-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Now that it is winter time, iam considering installing a remote start. I was wondering if any of you guys know of any good brands or what i should look for. THANKS

timgco
10-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Clifford Matrix!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

twenty2
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
hornet

tomp
10-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Clifford or Viper are the best and the only brands I would use.

timgco
10-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Clifford or Viper are the best and the only brands I would use.

They'rer also the same company or sister company.

f5fstop
10-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Actually, Directed Electronics Incorporated owns:
Viper
Clifford
Hornet
Sidewinder
Python
Rattler
Valet
Wasp
(and maybe a few more)
And I believe they all offer a responder type system; be it called "Responder" or "Two-Way."
They do this for marketing. This way, three stores in the same block could sell what seems like three diffrerent systems, yet they are almost identical except for the color of the remotes.

I have the Viper, but almost purchased a Clifford.

Only thing I recommend is to keep the screen on the responder alart from getting all scrathed up, put some of that protective film from 3M. I have changed mine twice since it gets scratched.
If anyone wants a template for the Viper reponder alert (and any other) let me know.

MONSTERMATT
10-16-2006, 05:30 PM
so, i can get the remote start w/o buying an aftermarket alarm?

SUT NEIL
10-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I've always used Astrostart Model Astro2WA. It has an lcd remote with "incredible" range. It operates as a remote start and door lock/unlock. Would not recommend a dyi installation. It's pricey but again the range is incredible.

WHOSNEXT
10-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Would not recommend a dyi installation.

whats that?

H2 Bill
10-16-2006, 09:39 PM
whats that?
do yourself it....

SUT NEIL
10-16-2006, 10:37 PM
whats that?

I can't even blame that on broken english! :jump: But you know what I mean :beerchug:

HummBob
10-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Compu-Star 2W900FM-AS

http://www.compustar.org/security_with_remote_start.htm

green6767
10-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Well, since installing remote starters is about 90% of my job working part time while in college currently, I can recommend AstroStart. I have been installing now for about 6 years and I have done about a dozen Hummers. The AstroStart model 4204 is the one with the LCD screen on it and yes it does have great range. I have also installed many other brands, including most of the ones mentioned, and AstroStart by far is the one I would trust 100%. The 2205 model is also a very good page-back model remote starter by AstroStart, but it it has a little less range, no lcd screen, and its costs less. Its the step down from the 4204. I install these on the side when I'm not working part time while going to school full time, so if anybody is up near the Fargo, ND region, I will guarantee the lowest price on any model AstroStart installed!

WHOSNEXT
10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Well, since installing remote starters is about 90% of my job working part time while in college currently, I can recommend AstroStart. I have been installing now for about 6 years and I have done about a dozen Hummers. The AstroStart model 4204 is the one with the LCD screen on it and yes it does have great range. I have also installed many other brands, including most of the ones mentioned, and AstroStart by far is the one I would trust 100%. The 2205 model is also a very good page-back model remote starter by AstroStart, but it it has a little less range, no lcd screen, and its costs less. Its the step down from the 4204. I install these on the side when I'm not working part time while going to school full time, so if anybody is up near the Fargo, ND region, I will guarantee the lowest price on any model AstroStart installed!

local guy here installs the same system Astrostart 4204 and well not install anything else. but he wants $600.00 to do it. seems very high to me?

green6767
10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
wow, $600 for that starter is very high! All in all, the wiring is EXACTLY like a new Silverado, Escalade, or any other GM product. Typically, those vehicles take me about an hour to complete. They are one of the easiest and fastest vehicles to put remote starters in. The only time consuming part is getting to the wiring. The top of the center console, dash plate, and other misc. parts have to come off first, which can take some time if you are not familiar with the Hummers. For what the remote starter actually costs him, and the bypass module costs him, he is making about a $450 profit, you do the math...haha. If I was to do a Hummer here, knowing what the actual cost of materials and time would be, I would charge right around $350 installed. Normally, for all other vehicle, for the the 4204, I charge an even $300. Considering the Hummer takes about an hour and a half longer to disassemble and reassemble the dash components, thats where the extra $50 comes from for me. $600 seems very steep to me.

WHOSNEXT
10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
thats why i have not had 1 installed yet....still looking in my area for someone that installs astrostart. thanks for the info

SUT NEIL
10-17-2006, 05:46 PM
wow, $600 for that starter is very high! All in all, the wiring is EXACTLY like a new Silverado, Escalade, or any other GM product. Typically, those vehicles take me about an hour to complete. They are one of the easiest and fastest vehicles to put remote starters in. The only time consuming part is getting to the wiring. The top of the center console, dash plate, and other misc. parts have to come off first, which can take some time if you are not familiar with the Hummers. For what the remote starter actually costs him, and the bypass module costs him, he is making about a $450 profit, you do the math...haha. If I was to do a Hummer here, knowing what the actual cost of materials and time would be, I would charge right around $350 installed. Normally, for all other vehicle, for the the 4204, I charge an even $300. Considering the Hummer takes about an hour and a half longer to disassemble and reassemble the dash components, thats where the extra $50 comes from for me. $600 seems very steep to me.

Attention anyone that is interested in the Astrostart 4204... Hop on this deal @ $350 installed. It's a great price for an incredible product - if installed properly.

Hey Green6767, does your 4204 come with the clear vinyl plastic remote cover?

green6767
10-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Like I mentioned before, been installing for almost 6 years now, and have done over a dozen hummers. $350 installed, bottom line, no tax...$350 out the door! Now again, not sure how many, if any, live even close to Fargo, ND, but if you're in the area, hit me up. Yes, the 4204 comes with a black vinyl cover with the clear plastic on the front. I have extra covers and additional remotes too. The 4204, aswell as all astrostarts only come with one remote, but most times, its all ya need. But additional ones are available.

orlasttoy
10-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Python..its been great...really good remote range...

although i DID have an issue last winter where the remote starter wires somehow shorted out the starter itself...couldnt get the truck started no matter what!

emeldahay
10-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Ive got (but not yet installed) the AUTOCOMMAND remote start.

where would you guys say it ranks in the remotestarter world?

The AstroStart has a lot more functionality by looks of things - any opinions on whether it would be worthwile ditching the autocommand -

Im confused...:p

green6767
10-21-2006, 10:21 PM
I have a biased opinion, but I swear by AstroStart...so if you're "asking", I would say ditch the Autocommand and go with the Astro. I have not dealt a whole lot with Autocommand, but the few time I have, I wasn't impressed.

emeldahay
10-22-2006, 12:14 AM
I never even seen one in action cause im in the UK - you just dont get them - can I ask what didnt impress? :)

Ive read the instructions and what I can gather (I think) is you set it up before you leave the car sounds like a hassle - anyone use an autocommand regularly?