PDA

View Full Version : How much grease?

ree
10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
So how much grease should you pump in all the fittings on the front end? I assume you don't want to add so much that the rubber boots balloon up a lot.

PARAGON
10-18-2006, 06:30 PM
yes

ree
10-18-2006, 06:39 PM
yes
You're informational posting quotient is so going up because of that. Thanks. ;)

PARAGON
10-18-2006, 06:42 PM
You're informational posting quotient is so going up because of that. Thanks. ;)Just here to help.:giggling:

ree
10-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Am I going to have to pull a tomp and put Phil's name in the subject? :giggling:

Or do we have some real mechanics on here wasting their day away reading the forums?

PARAGON
10-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Am I going to have to pull a tomp and put Phil's name in the subject? :giggling:

Or do we have some real mechanics on here wasting their day away reading the forums?You answered your own question and I confirmed it for you.

There is no "amount" to quantify. It would differ for every part and each time you lube it.

Don't you live in the cornbelt? Get a farmer to help you.;)

ree
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM
You answered your own question and I confirmed it for you.

There is no "amount" to quantify. It would differ for every part and each time you lube it.

If that means add just enough to make the rubber boot start to move, but no more, I'll accept a yes.
Don't you live in the cornbelt? Get a farmer to help you.;)
That would involve going out in the chill and actually talking to someone.

PARAGON
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
If that means add just enough to make the rubber boot start to move, but no more, I'll accept a yes.

That would involve going out in the chill and actually talking to someone.CHILL?

I can't even imagine what chill might feel like. It's like 85 degrees here.

But, yeah, get some in there, but don't overfill so it's deforming the dust cover.

Now, are you going to get out into the chill to lube it?;)

mdoyle
10-18-2006, 09:45 PM
If you're going to grease it yourself it's very important to buy the right type of grease- they aren't all the same and various formulations can't be mixed.

You will see movement in the rubber boots as new grease is added but you shouldn't add so much that you dislodge the boot or over pressurize it.

Grease guns are different but if I had to guess I'd say usually 4 or 5 pumps on a large gun is sufficient. More or less depending on how long it's been since they were greased.

ree
10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
CHILL?
35, overcast, drizzling, and windy.
I can't even imagine what chill might feel like. It's like 85 degrees here.

But, yeah, get some in there, but don't overfill so it's deforming the dust cover.

Now, are you going to get out into the chill to lube it?;)
Nope. Heated garage. At least 50 degrees. :D

ree
10-18-2006, 09:52 PM
If you're going to grease it yourself it's very important to buy the right type of grease- they aren't all the same and various formulations can't be mixed.

You will see movement in the rubber boots as new grease is added but you shouldn't add so much that you dislodge the boot or over pressurize it.

Grease guns are different but if I had to guess I'd say usually 4 or 5 pumps on a large gun is sufficient. More or less depending on how long it's been since they were greased. I've got a NLGI #2 Cat LB. Per Phil's recommendation in this thread (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19151) (I actually do try to look stuff up before asking).