PDA

View Full Version : What is it with some drivers?!

mdoyle
10-24-2006, 03:59 PM
This morning I slowed to allow another driver to go ahead of me (out of courtesy, not right of way) and she stopped right in front of me and glared at me.

I threw up my hands but didn't flip her off, then she proceeded down the on-ramp and nearly stopped. At this point I'd had enough so I stomped on it and went around her on the shoulder- but she floored it and kept me from passing.

Since buying my H2 in Feb. I can't tell you how many times I've been buzzed by pick-up trucks & sports cars- you know those guys going 80 on the highway that pass you and change lanes about a foot in front of your bumper.

WTF is with these people? I bought an H2 for what it has not some social statement, I often have my kids on board and I don't drive like an ass. I didn't sign up for this crap.

CO Hummer
10-24-2006, 04:02 PM
So, what's to complain about? I love it when this happens. Bring the raaahr from these guys, let them have a heart attack, makes their day miserable. Mission accomplished.

DRTYFN
10-24-2006, 04:28 PM
So, what's to complain about? I love it when this happens. Bring the raaahr from these guys, let them have a heart attack, makes their day miserable. Mission accomplished.
x2

If you get the chance to speak with them make sure to say something along the lines of, "Don't be grumpy with me just because you look so old/fat/tired/etc." That works really well with women.

KenP
10-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Hit them next time.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Linus Gump
10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't recommend hitting them, that will open up a can of worms you don't wnat to deal with. It becomes road rage, and since all the cop is going to see is your vehicle parked on top of thiers, guess who they are going to think is the aggressor? I drive a semi all day, one loaded with gasoline at that, and morons do this to me all the time. I understand your frustration with it, but you gotta keep your cool. Defensive driving teaches you to yeild your space to prevent an accident, and to expect that the other driver will do something unexpected.
Merging is one of the biggest complaints I currently have about driving. It seems there are very few driving schools that teach how to properly merge, and who has the right of way at a merge point. Mommy and Daddy generally don't teach their kids either, mostly because they don't know themself.
The person on the freeway has the right of way, and the person merging is responsible for matching thier speed to that of traffic on the freeway. The merging traffic needs to be up to speed as quickly as possible and positioned so as to blend into traffic without causing traffic on the freeway to alter their speed or change lanes. They need to merge as early as possible, and not wait until thier lane ends to merge. Trucks and anything pulling a trailer, or vehicles that are obviously going to be slow to get up to speed require traffic on the freeway to allow extra space for them to merge.
Anytime I see someone following these rules, I make every effort on my part to ensure a smooth merge for them. The ones that dont usually wind up driving on the shoulder for a while before getting on the freeway and then speed past while flipping me off.

mdoyle
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Good point on the merge- I should have been more clear, she stopped me on purpose at the top of the ramp. This is a somewhat rural area and the ramp does a 180? before it meets the highway.

For a moment I thought about re-enacting the Hummer commerical called "The Big Race" where the kid takes the shortcut off-road :D

I'm surprised at the reaction of these drivers, it's not like the Hummer is a new phenomena, they should already be over their anger issues. :violin:

devilsfan
10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Get a lift. With a lift, you can pretty much creep up to their rear bumper far enough that your front is hanging over their trunk. Then flip on your brights. You can see the urine puddling from under the drivers door after that. :jump:

Stacy

Dug
10-24-2006, 11:05 PM
gump- my biggest peeve is people who dont merge. It so god dang easy to merge into traffic, I dont know how people get so dumb.

frenzy1
10-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Has never happened to me !! People are too impressed by the size of my hummer here in Belgium ! Nobody's used to big ass american trucks over here !!! They Bow Down !! :D

Boar-Ral
10-25-2006, 06:34 PM
I have been fortunate that I have not had any bad experiences with other drives -- until two weeks ago. Since then, things have been crazy.

I was leaving a parking lot at a hospital two weeks ago, turning right. I stopped for less than two seconds to make sure there was no traffic from the left, and some pinhead in an Infinity lays on the horn. Stupid thing is that he wasn't even turning right; he was turning left, and there were two lanes, one for each direction. Later that day, I was crossing the parking lot from Wal-Mart to Tim Horton's, and there was a lot of traffic. I was driving straight through, and had a stop sign. A Dodge Ram was facing me, also with a stop sign. I was driving forward, he was turning to cross in front of me. When the traffic cleared, I went forward, and so did he, even though I had the right of way. Then he has the nerve to flip me off. What a moron.

The idiot thing I have noticed drivers doing the past week is trying to pull around me on the right shoulder when I stop because someone in front of me is turning across traffic. If it was bumper-to-bumper, and we would be stopped for five minutes, I could understand that. I would probably go around the person, too. But in all three instances in the past week, I only made a rolling stop. By the time the person has turned, and I start to proceed, I notice someone coming up on the right. In all three instances, I stepped on it. There was no way I was going to let them get anything out of their idiotic behavour. Fortunately, in two of the instances, since they were now pulled over, other traffic pulled in front of them, and they got knocked even further back.

Maybe karma is making up for lost time in my situation. Who knows?

ipeefreely
10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Boar, we need the power of the duramax. That way if any one of those idiots try to pass us up, we'll just dust them little suckers with our 5 ton monster. :jump:

DennisAJC
10-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Anyone who honks at me to hurry up always gets an extra 10 seconds of my time.:jump:

On 4 occassions I got out and walked back to the honking offender's car. They're not so tough then (Except for one. That turned into a tussle.). They usually act all confused and innocent.

I've learned to play it smart most of the time. There's no law when you lick their window or hump their side mirror.:giggling: .

The days of feet flattening and bear spray are behind me. I hope.

Boar-Ral
10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Boar, we need the power of the duramax. That way if any one of those idiots try to pass us up, we'll just dust them little suckers with our 5 ton monster. :jump:
The problem is that my daily driver is a 10-year old Chevrolet Lumina. I don't think I can fit a Duramax in there. :)

Boar-Ral
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Anyone who honks at me to hurry up always gets an extra 10 seconds of my time.:jump:

On 4 occassions I got out and walked back to the honking offender's car. They're not so tough then (Except for one. That turned into a tussle.). They usually act all confused and innocent.

I've learned to play it smart most of the time. There's no law when you lick their window or hump their side mirror.:giggling: .

The days of feet flattening and bear spray are behind me. I hope.
I kept wishing I had stopped and gotten out. I have done that only once. The offending vehicle was a taxi, and he was parked at one of the entrances to West Edmonton Mall. As we drove past him, he decided to pin it and try to pull past us on the right. I stepped on it, cut him off sideways, and stopped. I happened to have three friends with me, all over 6' tall, one over 6'6", and all four doors opened and we got out. As we walked towards the taxi, he gave it in reverse, then tore off around us on the other side and left. :D

tazhog54
10-25-2006, 07:53 PM
That would of been a kodak moment post

Boar-Ral
10-25-2006, 08:15 PM
That would of been a kodak moment post
It kept us chuckling for most of the day. :)

DRTYFN
10-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I think at one time or another, Dennis, Hummbebe and Rocks have all been on the phone with me when I've been forced to insult someone while driving.:jump:

Boar-Ral
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I think at one time or another, Dennis, Hummbebe and Rocks have all been on the phone with me when I've been forced to insult someone while driving.:jump:
That makes me think of the scene in Weather Man, with the Slurpee. :D

blindzebra
10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Gump! You're a God Damm Genius. You're a model of God given ability!

ShaggyX
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Later that day, I was crossing the parking lot from Wal-Mart to Tim Horton's, and there was a lot of traffic. I was driving straight through, and had a stop sign. A Dodge Ram was facing me, also with a stop sign. I was driving forward, he was turning to cross in front of me. When the traffic cleared, I went forward, and so did he, even though I had the right of way. Then he has the nerve to flip me off. What a moron.
Who stopped first? Doesn't matter who was going what way...whoever stops first has right of way and goes first. If he didn't signal, or if you stopped first (or same time) that's fine. But if he stopped first...he had he right of way eventhough he was turning left.

People who think just because they are going straight and I am going left means they have the right of way at a stop sign piss me off.

Boar-Ral
10-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Who stopped first? Doesn't matter who was going what way...whoever stops first has right of way and goes first. If he didn't signal, or if you stopped first (or same time) that's fine. But if he stopped first...he had he right of way eventhough he was turning left.

People who think just because they are going straight and I am going left means they have the right of way at a stop sign piss me off.
He didn't have his signal light on. He did after he flipped me off, though. Too many people are using signal lights as a recommendation, not a requirement.

johndjmix1
10-25-2006, 09:39 PM
I definatly see where you are coming from and its always good to be nice to other drivers, but when it comes down to it....

Somewhere in a drivers manual i read a while back (NY or NJ?) it states that when on a divided highway in the right lane you should NEVER alter your speed when traffic is merging. It simply confuses the merging driver, they dont really know what you are doing so they stop look....wait...then realise you are trying to let them in then they go. You should keep your speed steady which lets them plan on where you are going to be, which makes it easier for them to merge.

Totally makes sence when you think about it. If you brake you slow down the whole lane, disrupting the whole highway whereas if you stay stead and they just wait for an opening the highway is not disrupted.

Just my 5 cents =)

--John

DennisAJC
10-25-2006, 10:28 PM

And I can hear them trying to snap back but you end up saying something that makes their head explode.:perfect10s:

It's quite a treat to hear.:giggling:

chevyduty396
10-25-2006, 11:15 PM
ya'll need to drive around in texas on a few loops in dallas... ediots are armed and dangerous. so we moved in the country... yea, their still here too! we have an auto sales & auto parts store co., and a s-load of cars. im a different one everyday. they dont mess with me in the s500, or the new H2 hummer. its funny how your treated by what you drive. if im in the great 1993 chevy W/T work truck (beater, but you cant blow a 4.3, has 328,000 miles on it) they always say do you need some help...the S500 benz always get a thumbs up from parrellel drivers. but the hummer, they either stare and pass or blow by you and cut hard (usually a treehugger). i was at wally-world cutting through the bush and compost lane and a JACKED UP 1/2 dodge pick up, (we callem, Dodgers) was in my space, sucked up close to my rear bumper. we are in line at the stop sign. i stop, and he punches it and does an a.j. foyt to the right and passes me and zooooomes left to turn just to get in front of me. i flagged him at the next stop and motioned come on lets get to the fire! the 2 dodger babies flipped me off. so i just HUMMERED behind them to next redlight .(only five in our town). ALL that effort for them not to gain any ground! goobers

Captain of the Titanic
10-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Being a Dallas boy myself, I can tell you that I am treated WAY different in my H2 than I was in my jacked up Tahoe. I got nothing but thumbs up and smiles from the latino women. I was let into traffic and treated as well as you can be in a big city. Of course every little 2 seat sports car cut me off, but you get used to that.

Now, in the H2, I get constantly abused. I get flipped off every day, cut off by jeeps, and every tree hugging yellow-backed communist-type seems to want to talk to me "about the environment". Some bimbo even told me she wished I was dead.:rant:

I even let myself get really angry in front of my 12 year old daughter this last weekend when some fat, stupid, ugly, inbred biatch had the gall to make the 2 inch pecker sign at me. Needless to say, Her passenger seat sitting husband was a little miffed at me before we parted ways. I suspect she made his life unbearable after that.

I don't know what the answer is, but if someone figures it out, let me know.

Maybe I'll just keep a picture of my big 9 inch around in case some chick wants to see it.

9 inch suspension lift I want that is....:D

H2 GTS
10-26-2006, 06:04 AM
It is funny what people will say or "sign" but it is all jealousy, either of your financial situatuion or your courage and freedom to make your own choices.

Go to the Porsche forums. There are so many posts from people driving an older $25,000 or less Boxster getting grief from people driving a +$35,000 SUV etc. "Oh I am glad the economy is going so well for you " or "It must be nice to have all your money". It is the same thing. Jealous or envious of your decision(s).

GLBLWARMR
10-26-2006, 06:22 AM
I just smile and wave back when people do stupid **** then I just tail gate more and continue waving and just continue to watch the show. The madder they get the more I smile and wave.

Boar-Ral
10-26-2006, 03:17 PM
I even let myself get really angry in front of my 12 year old daughter this last weekend when some fat, stupid, ugly, inbred biatch had the gall to make the 2 inch pecker sign at me. Needless to say, Her passenger seat sitting husband was a little miffed at me before we parted ways. I suspect she made his life unbearable after that.
I am flattered that since purchasing the Hummer that so many people are concerned with the size of my penis, but I still find it disturbing at times.

Boar-Ral
10-26-2006, 03:20 PM
I am really surprised that Texas owners are getting so much flak. I do not know why, and I do not mean it in a bad way, but I thought that they would be more open-minded about a vehicle like the Hummer. I guess because of the oil, and because "everything is bigger in Texas." I would expect that sort of behaviour in California, Colorado, or Washington, but not Texas. If I ever manage to get down there, I'm going to need someone to watch my back.

CO Hummer
10-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I just smile and wave back when people do stupid **** then I just tail gate more and continue waving and just continue to watch the show. The madder they get the more I smile and wave.

Exactly!!

Sometimes I'll gesture like I'm blowing them a kiss. That really brings the raaaahr! :D

Boar-Ral
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Exactly!!

Sometimes I'll gesture like I'm blowing them a kiss. That really brings the raaaahr! :D
hehe! That reminds me of the time I was driving with some friends and someone decided to be a dink and honk at us because I waited too long or was going too slow, I cannot remember exactly, but as the person sped by, staring at us, my friend rolled down the window and made blowjob motions at the guy. That really freaked him out. I thought it was hilarious. :D

devilsfan
10-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I know the Foxes have had some run ins here in Texas, but like Phil, I haven't had a single negative comment on my truck. I've been cut off in traffic now and then, but I don't think it was targeted at me - the idiot usually went on to cut off other people as well.

So not ALL of Texas is bad. I wouldn't go near Austin, tho. :D

Stacy

Boar-Ral
10-26-2006, 06:11 PM
I know the Foxes have had some run ins here in Texas, but like Phil, I haven't had a single negative comment on my truck. I've been cut off in traffic now and then, but I don't think it was targeted at me - the idiot usually went on to cut off other people as well.

So not ALL of Texas is bad. I wouldn't go near Austin, tho. :D

Stacy
I'll keep that in mind when I make my way there. :D It's good to know it's not a widespread issue.