PDA

View Full Version : OEM LIGHT BAR?.WIRING hook up

WHOSNEXT
10-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I just got a smoking deal on a oem light bar, in the directions it says locate roof lamp harness located on drivers side of vehicle under cap? If the harness is there how would they turn on from the inside? Any info would be great.

OrangeCrush
10-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I just got a smoking deal on a oem light bar, in the directions it says locate roof lamp harness located on drivers side of vehicle under cap? If the harness is there how would they turn on from the inside? Any info would be great.

Unless your H2 is a 2005 or maybe it's 2006, you won't have the factory harness there and you can't purchase it.

The harness they're talking about is part of the wiring harness for the truck, it's not a small section you can purchase and add on later.

Like I said, it's either the '05's or 06's that have it.... nothing before.

I just ran my wires down the "A" pillar.

HTH's,

Mark

WHOSNEXT
10-28-2006, 02:16 PM
mark, i have a 06, so i should have it? is it under the front drivers side marker light? also do you know where the other end is for switch? thanks for any help

OrangeCrush
10-28-2006, 06:14 PM
mark, i have a 06, so i should have it? is it under the front drivers side marker light? also do you know where the other end is for switch? thanks for any help

That's great, should be no problem to hook up for you then.

If I'm not mistaken, the plug is tucked under the side marker light on the driver's side... it may be slid down a bit in the hole.

As far as the switch, I don't know. Perhaps someone with ALLDATA access could tell you.

Sorry I wasn't any more help.

Mark

WHOSNEXT
10-28-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks again mark, if the wires are built into the harness and the light bar wire is there then there should be the wires where the switch go's? ok where is the switch for oem light bar. it's a start

OrangeCrush
10-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I would think so. Surely there should be a short harness/wire ready to plug into the switch??

However, I can't remember where the factory switch goes. I installed mine on the left but nonetheless, I'd still think there should at least be a "plug".

If you don't find anything, send me a PM and I'll look on Alldata next week.

Mark

WHOSNEXT
10-28-2006, 10:15 PM
what is alldata? is it a website? do you have a link?

HUMTECH
10-29-2006, 02:16 AM
If your truck was not originally equipped with A light bar the harness will not be there. The harness can be purchased seperatly from GM. You need to ask for the harness for the roof mounted off road lamps(same harness except it does not have the inline fuses) I've installed several this way and they work just fine. Theres 2 harness' that you will need, the body harness and the roof harness I can try and get part #'s on monday.

WHOSNEXT
10-29-2006, 02:34 AM
If you would do that it will be great.thanks

If your truck was not originally equipped with A light bar the harness will not be there. The harness can be purchased seperatly from GM. You need to ask for the harness for the roof mounted off road lamps(same harness except it does not have the inline fuses) I've installed several this way and they work just fine. Theres 2 harness' that you will need, the body harness and the roof harness I can try and get part #'s on monday.

OrangeCrush
10-29-2006, 03:51 AM

Humtech,

Does the rule about the H2 needing to be an '06 still apply in order to plug in the new harnesses?

I ask because mine is an '03 and when I went to the dealer, they told me that the harness you plug the little harnesses into only came on the 06's....

Thanks,

Mark

WHOSNEXT
10-30-2006, 08:03 PM
UPDATE, Over the weekend looked for plug/wires to plug the lightbar into....nothing, so i PM Partsguy and he was nice enough to get me the part #er's (2). to make a long story short the 2 harness cost more then a payed for the lightbar? so i'm going to make my own, i have 3 wires coming out of the light bar, red power, black ground and purple? does anyone know what that is for?

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
11-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Do a wiring search and You will find allot of help. But, 3 wires has to do with power, grd., and switch to control relays that turn the actual power on to lamps, I think. It has been a long time since I looked and lost allot of brains cells over last year or actually My girls tell me it is since i turned 50 in October.

WHOSNEXT
11-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Trust me i have been searching, I found out red powers 2 of the lights and purple powers the other 2? dont know why? maybe they draw to much for 1 circuit? I have been reading people adding relays, I dont know what they do and if i need 1?

HUMTECH
11-03-2006, 04:46 AM
Definatly run A relay, It takes the load off the switch. A relay is used to power the circuit, the switch just has to turn on the relay therefore taking the load off the switch. Heres the oem diagram.

http://service.gm.com/engif/000/001/765/1765539.gif

WHOSNEXT
11-03-2006, 07:16 PM
HUMTECH, thats what im looking for.....thank you.....does anyone know the watts of the bulbs in the oem bar?

datapimp69
11-03-2006, 08:22 PM
55w

finall
11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Anyone have part #s for the 2 wiring harnesses that you need on an 2006 H2 to hook up a low profile light bar from a Special Edition H2?

This is the lightbar I would like to add:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35818&stc=1&d=1170333090

OrangeCrush
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
The wiring harness should come with the bar. I bought that same light bar and the harness came with it ready to install.

Having said that, I had to hardwire it because that harness is only for 2006 and up (lucky you)

Mark

finall
11-19-2007, 07:52 AM
That's great. Does the wiring harness include the toggle switch, and wiring that goes to the toggle switch also?

Can you give me the GM part # for this light bar please? Much appreciated....

OrangeCrush
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
That's great. Does the wiring harness include the toggle switch, and wiring that goes to the toggle switch also?

Can you give me the GM part # for this light bar please? Much appreciated....

Mine came with it.

Sorry, don't have it. It's been almost 2 years. Call the dealer, they'll tell you.

Mark