PDA

View Full Version : Gear Selection w/ Lift

H2 Doberman
10-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

My wife is going to have my truck lifted for me for christmas. I going with the Fabtech 6 inch lift, 18x10 weld cheyenne 8's, 38x15.50x18 nitto mudgrapplers. I know I need the HD tierods and the steering stabilizer. And a tune to correct the speedo. Do you think that I will be okay with the stock gear ratio? I don't really care about top speed or racing anyone(thats what cars are for). Is there anyother parts that you guys might suggest. This will be my first lifted vechicle so it's all new to me. Thanks for you help and this forum rocks!!!

drmiles
10-28-2006, 04:29 PM
First if you are going to lift, then thats the time to add a front locker and regear. I had an 03 with same tires and skyjacker lift 5.5". The only time I wished I had regeared was towing and long highway trips. Also in 4 lo, the truck moved to fast and could have used regearing to slow it down hills.

If I were doing it again, I would go with 4.88 gears and a front locker. But as I said I did not regear so all I know is the 4:10's with 38" tires.

Good luck

OrangeCrush
10-28-2006, 06:13 PM
As I posted in a previous thread, I put 4.56's when I put the 38's on but wish I had done the 4.88's instead.

The problem I have is trying to maintain 70mph on cruise control. If you're on a flat road, no problem... the least incline (or towing anything) that comes along and your damn truck will be shifting like crazy.

My .02 worth.

Mark

OrangeCrush
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Phil,

You must drive like Miss daisy...lol. I can't stand the way mine is on top end (highway speeds) and I did the reprogramming, gears and volant air intake.

My only cure now is a supercharger.

Mark

H2 Doberman
10-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all the input! I think I will just try the programmer and if that isn't enough I will go the the 4:88's. My main concern was putting too much strain on parts by not re-gearing. It seems that people have run 38's with the stock gear with no damage. Once again, thanks for all the great input!!!

ASTAR
10-29-2006, 07:53 AM
I thought the same thing. I'd get a programmer, exhaust, and an intake to recover the lost power from 38's. Man, all i can say is I agree 100% with Orange Crush. I did a regear to 4.88's and it drives 100% better. Not awesome but I am used to a 700+hp, twin turbo CTD Dodge so what should I expect? :) I was planning to do a supercharger but I am leaning more now torwards a diesel conversion.
Just plan to do the gears, you'll want them.

H2 Doberman
10-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks ASTAR, I think I will just see how the programmer works and go from there. I also checked out your myspace, pretty cool that your a pilot. I have seriously gotten into RC Helicoptors. My buddy has a RAPTOR 90 that we fly around the house. I was thinking about going to school and learning how to fly a real helicoptor. I talked to one guy and he said that for a 2 seater it was around $13,000 and a four seater to double that. Does that sound about right to you? Anyway, your truck looks cool, that is how I decided to go with those wheels. Thanks for all the input!:beerchug:

KenP
10-30-2006, 11:58 PM
You're going to bust things up in the front if you get a locker. I'm surprised Phil didn't mention that. One little slip... BAMM!!!

We don't drive our lifted 2 too much, but I didn't even change the speedo, regear or anything and it's fine around town. I went through a speed calming radar the other day and was off about 5 mph at 60. Driving to Moab wasn't difficult, either.

OrangeCrush
10-31-2006, 03:46 AM
You're going to bust things up in the front if you get a locker. I'm surprised Phil didn't mention that. One little slip... BAMM!!!

We don't drive our lifted 2 too much, but I didn't even change the speedo, regear or anything and it's fine around town. I went through a speed calming radar the other day and was off about 5 mph at 60. Driving to Moab wasn't difficult, either.

I have to agree with Ken about the locker. It definitely has it's place but in my opinion it's not practical for daily driving.

And Ken is right, if you're putting around town and don't drive the H2 too much, I'm sure it'll be absolutely perfect.

The problem is, I drive the H2 roughly 50K miles a year (nevermind my bike and other cars) so I'm running around everywhere.

The first problem I encountered with 38's is loss of gas mileage. I went from 11.2 to 9.6.

I installed gears and programmer and went back up to 10.5 mpg. If I drove it nice, I would get between 11-11.5, but I tend to have a heavy foot.

Like I said, driving around town, no problem... get on the highway and I promise you won't be able to keep the cruise maintaining 70 mph if you come across any hills. (or if you tow anything at all)

My problem is I like tend to drive 75-80 on the highway and it's literally impossible to do that on any kind of inclined surface. I drove to Florida a few months ago (no trailer) and attempting to keep 70-75 while at highway speeds, I averaged 8.8 mpg. (cause the damn thing was going into overdrive so much)

4.88's would have been a better choice for me and in all honesty, when my new bodyshop settles down, a supercharger is a definite must.

Good luck with the install,

Mark

datapimp69
10-31-2006, 04:19 AM
ok a couple of things.

first what are you guys talking about the locker in the front breaking things?
when it is not locked isnt it limited slip?

second if i re-gear and go to 4.88's what size/style do i look for when trying to find it? just so i can find one? is it the same in the front and rear?

KenP
10-31-2006, 04:35 AM
ok a couple of things.

first what are you guys talking about the locker in the front breaking things?
when it is not locked isnt it limited slip?

second if i re-gear and go to 4.88's what size/style do i look for when trying to find it? just so i can find one? is it the same in the front and rear?When you're driving around town unlocked, there is no problem. It's when you're offroad and have it locked is where you'll break things. Promise. Heck, the shop that did my lift Highly discouraged getting the front locker.

The FL is very tough on an IFS like we have. You're just going to snap shafts and that's the way it is.

For the gears, I'd go where many of us get parts:
http://www.trailduty.com/

It's owned by PhilD who responded above.

KenP
10-31-2006, 04:36 AM
Some people manage to break things just fine without a locker ;) :D :D

IFS needs to be treated gently when the front is locked, no spinning of the wheels, otherwise things will break easily. But that's why I carry two half shafts.AHHhh! You snuck that in while I was typing!:fdance:

ASTAR
10-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks ASTAR, I think I will just see how the programmer works and go from there. I also checked out your myspace, pretty cool that your a pilot. I have seriously gotten into RC Helicoptors. My buddy has a RAPTOR 90 that we fly around the house. I was thinking about going to school and learning how to fly a real helicoptor. I talked to one guy and he said that for a 2 seater it was around $13,000 and a four seater to double that. Does that sound about right to you? Anyway, your truck looks cool, that is how I decided to go with those wheels. Thanks for all the input!:beerchug:

Yeah, it'll cost you between anywhere from 13-18 grand for your private ticket. Depends a lot on how good of a student you are. How hard you study, how fast you pick up the flying, etc. Thats instructor time, flight and ground, the helicopter rental, the tests, books, headset, supplys. It adds up quick. To fly a 4 seater, the helicopter cost goes from about 200 (2 seater) an hour to more like 500/hr for a 4 seater and go up ALOT from there depending on which model. It is a blast though and if you went for your commercial lic so you could work, you would LOVE your job!!! Costs a lot more for commercial but thats life eh? :)

As far as power and mileage goes with the H2, I think I will Duramax/Allison mine here at the end of the year. i get an average of about 8.7 right now with the way mine is set-up. I have never seen 9 over an average of more than 100 miles. :(

Screeper
10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
I got my 4:88's when they first came out. I am very happy with the performance. Programming and gears will bring you back to stock performance or a little better. Al

datapimp69
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
i am finding more 4.89 then 4.88's on the net?

does it matter?

ASTAR
10-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Never heard of 4.89's but no that wouldn't matter.

Captain of the Titanic
10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
38" tires results in a change in the gear ratios of 8.6%. To equalize the gear ratios you would need a 4.45 gear ratio. by going to 4.88, you are changing the ratio by 9.1% in the other direction. This will lower your top speed but give you more performance. It will also have some effect on gas mileage and the cruise control. Unless you have access to tests showing how this effects the truck, I'd trust the guys who have done it and enjoy the performance boost.:D

If I was going to change out my gears, I would go the extra step of installing Auburn lockers, front and rear, as well as high performance gears (Strange makes excellent gears). I would also install custom steel shafts with improved U-joints as well as diff protection. Bending the diff cover and loosing all your fluid on the trail is an expense lesson to learn (I speak from experience!!).

Good Luck! Let us know how it works!