PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel jiggle?

zeros
10-29-2006, 01:01 AM
when im driveing slow on the road over small bumps or gravel i can feel somekind of giggle in the steering wheel ... feels like something is kinda lose somewhere.. its very slight, but maybe getting alittle worse..not sure what it is.... the steering is fine and alignment seems good.. just a slight loose jiggley feeling ? maybe something on the front end? and it is vibrating though the steering wheel? anyone have any ideas? thanks

mwrbunny
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Before my H2 I had a '03 Suburban. There was a mid-section steering shaft that would get loosey-goosey after about 40K miles, and your steering would feel a little "clunky" over bumps, etc....It was apparantly a common maintenance item, because the part was always backordered. I recall it was about a $250 problem....shaft was replaced.

The steering shaft had a midsection so that the steering column could fold in a severe head on collision (at least that's how the dealer explained it.)

I don't know if the H2 has similar technology, but you might want to check on it.

robb
11-02-2006, 05:07 PM
not sure what it is but I have had a 04 2500 duramax, 05 z71 silverado, 04 tahoe. All with the same problem. As soon as I started to explain the the dealer, they told me they were having these problems out of alot of vehicles. Im not sure what they did but they fixed it on all of them.

yoke
11-04-2006, 02:14 AM
there's a known problem with the intermediate shafts that will cause you to feel the bumps when going slow, and you can hear a knocking up front.

could also be the sector shaft on the bottom of the steering box, where the pitman arm connects. you can see the pitman slide up and down if you jack it up and try to move the wheels back and forth. if you can see the gears on the sector shaft, you can tell if they're worn or if it's the teeth on the pitman arm.

an alignment shop can tell you quickly if it's the pitman/sector shaft or not.

zeros
11-04-2006, 03:54 AM
its just a slight loose feeling when going slower over small bumps. just feels like something is little loose... slight vibration of something.. i had a chevy avalanhce that had the intermediate shaft replaced.. im not sure if that it or not.. my h2 only has about 12000 miles on it.... i asked them at the dealership and they said nothing was wrong with it .? just feels like a screw is alittle loose to me ... ill keep looking around.. thanks for the help

mowdoc
11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Many of the GM trucks do this. Take it to any GM dealer and have the intermediate steering shaft repacked with grease. It'll cost you $35 or 1/2 hour in Las Vegas. Problem solved for another 15 - 40K miles.

mowdoc

pdxrealtor
11-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Mine started doing the exact same thing recently. I realize this is an ollllllddd post.... , but does anyone know where one would pack the grease?

That's exactly what it feels like.... needs some grease somewhere.