PDA

View Full Version : Another question

bigtim
10-10-2004, 11:47 PM
sorry, I just got this thing a few weeks ago and questions keep on coming.

When I got the truck, it had these granny tires on there. I ripped them off and put 39.5 Swampers on it. Looks much better. But, the damn thing won't go over 60 without shaking you like crazy. At 60, it rides fairly smooth. At 61 starts getting bumpy. By 65 you don't want to drive it anymore.

Alas, my question...Is this just the nature of Swampers...Or, is this a bad balancing job?

With the old tires it would run 80 no problem.

Oh yeah, I am rnning in between 29 and 35 psi in the tires.

bigtim

When I got the truck, it had these granny tires on there. I ripped them off and put 39.5 Swampers on it. Looks much better. But, the damn thing won't go over 60 without shaking you like crazy. At 60, it rides fairly smooth. At 61 starts getting bumpy. By 65 you don't want to drive it anymore.

Alas, my question...Is this just the nature of Swampers...Or, is this a bad balancing job?

bigtim

RIC-H0
10-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Sounds like they need to be balanced a little better!
Make sure they balance them for roundness and from side to side!
Swampers have been known to have some problems with balancing, but with a little determination, they'll ususally get them true!

Good luck!

Ric-H2

Beastmaster
10-11-2004, 01:58 AM
Can you tell us specifically which Swamper you got?

There are a few reasons why I ask. One of the primary ones is to make sure that you have one that fits the load range of the H1.

Without looking at what you've got, it's likely that you've got a balance issue still.

The major thing about Swampers is that their balancing dynamic changes so much at highway speeds. Many shops can't do a good balance job for trucks beyond 35's.

The other thing to look at are out of round Swampers. This has happened. Some shops will shave the tires round.

Also make sure that the tire shop balances the rim out first before they put the tire on. This helps a lot!

ssgharkness020147
10-11-2004, 03:05 AM
You could try Centramatics. They are availible here: http://www.adventureaccessories.com/adventure/Wheels.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see them listed. You should also be running your tire pressure a little higher. 35 in the front and 40 in the rear is ideal. Which wheels do you have on your truck? If they are the factory steel wheels that is probably your problem. I was talking to someone yesterday that had the streeters and steel wheels on his H1, when he put on swampers they did not balance properly. If its the wheels you will need to go with the aluminum wheels. They ride better on the freeway anyways.

bigtim
10-11-2004, 10:56 AM
I believe they are the TSL's but I am not 100% positive. When I get home I will check and let you know on the exact type of swamper.

I have the aluminum wheels so that is probably not the issue. It seems like the higher I run the tire pressure, the worse it rides. And, I believe the maximum the tire says is 35 psi.

Might need to have them re-balanced.

What other good options are there besides swampers that still have an real aggressive look?

bigtim
10-11-2004, 11:00 AM
your website answered the questions about my other tires...My rims were not on there but I eleive they are just stock aluminum wheels. It does have CTIS.

I do have the TSL's but they are not the ones listed on that site. Those are 38's. Mine are 39.5 X 16.50's. Is that tire acceptable to run on the truck?

ssgharkness020147
10-11-2004, 04:13 PM
I would think that without a body lift the 39.5 tires would rub off road. If your truck is under any kind of a warrenty you have to run the stock tire size, otherwise steering, driveline, suspension components will be voided. I have been running the stock size Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip ties for a while now, they are great on and off road, and still maintain a very agressive tread. Check out this website for more info on tires availible for the HUMMER: http://www.amghummer.com/features/Tires/tires.htm

Beastmaster
10-11-2004, 06:07 PM
To add to what Carey's saying:

Depending on which aluminum rims you run (I'm assuming they are stock width of 8.5"), you will actually need to run your PSI down to around 20 (cold).

Running them on the PSI that you're on now will cause the center of the tire to wear more. This also increases the chances that you're seeing the wackiness that you are now with performance beyond 65mph. You'll get shake, wander, and you'll get increased wear on your steering components.

The max stock that I've seen with no rub at all are 38.5's (and that's because I'm running 38.5's on mine.) Anything more, and you'll likely see rub somewhere.

bigtim
10-11-2004, 11:32 PM
I'll try to bring the PSI down more and see if that helps.

They do not rub at all but I do not go off-road and have no intention of it. It is more of a show truck/toy than anything else.

bigtim
10-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Sory, I was wrong, the tires are TSL 38.5 X 14...Not 39.5.

1BADH2
10-13-2004, 06:21 PM
bigtim, you just have to take them to a tire shop that knows what they are doing with a bigger tire. You will be able to make them better but there will always have a little shake, its a swamper.

bigtim
10-18-2004, 11:46 AM
I think I am going to have to do that. I lowered the pressure and that made it worse. The lower the pressure the worse "flat spots" the tires had when first driving. Once they got warmed up, it was worse at higher speeds than before.

Gotta be a balance issue.

GeneseeMtn
01-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I ran TSL 38" swampers for 3 months last year. I got them at a tire place that had free balancing & I would have to have them balanced about every 500 mi or they would start "shaking" the truck at high speed.

I sold them & converted to MTR's. IMHO, the MTR's are superior for off-road traction here in Colorado & they run at 85mph like a cadillac compared to the TSL's. Just my $0.02 Now there's no other tire I would run on my Hummer other than my current 37" MTR's (except maybe 40" mtr's http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)